Is Music Addiction Taking Over Our Lives?

• Music
  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, people are obsessed with music. They are too concerned with appearing busy and cool to be attentive to their surroundings.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Get out of my thread yomamma

I've started to notice that people are absolutely psychotic about music. It's as if its oxygen to them. If someone doesn't listen to music for a few hours, they will become murderous. I would say a good 90% of my friends say music is the most important thing in their lives. Not family, not friends, not their girlfriends/boyfriends... their music :grumpy: Theres something seriously wrong with this country and its teens/young adults/children. We want to wake up to music, we want mp3 players in our showers, we want to have portable mp3 players, mp3 players on our cell phones, mp3 players in our cars. It's as if being away from their stupid music will drastically reduce their happiness. Pathetic. I don't see why we haven't whiped ourselves out yet.

Science news on Phys.org
shut up pengwuino

Did you not read the disclaimer

I did, but I don't care about what it has to say

I'm going to feed you to Ivan's deer

I was out with the some folks last weekend, and we made the same observation. There are people who can't seem to put down the mp3 players. As a group, we concurred that we don't really like having music on non-stop like that, and especially when awareness of surroundings is more important (I like to hear what's going on around me when I'm out walking downtown, or even the long walk to the parking lot from the building I work in...you want to know if there's a car coming up behind you as you're walking through the parking lot, or if someone else is walking behind you).

Pengwuino said:
I'm going to feed you to Ivan's deer
I'm sure the deer would rather have some Pengwuin-o's for breakfast

I'm sitting here listening to WFMT streaming (somebody's string symphony), and wondering when this thread is going to come to any point.

selfAdjoint said:
I'm sitting here listening to WFMT streaming (somebody's string symphony), and wondering when this thread is going to come to any point.

WOOOOOOOO...we have a new contender to hate pengwunio. Welcome to the club sir!

I guess I would be one of the people that Penquino is ranting about. Although I cherish periods of silence, listening to the song-birds all around the house, etc, I want to listen to music most of the day. I have several hundred vinyl albums, and hundreds upon hundreds of CDs. Most of them fit in my 400-CD Sony carousel player, and I leave it on shuffle for hours at a time. I just listened to a great T-Bone Walker song, and now the Lovin' Spoonful are on. Next might be Vince Gill, Robben Ford, the Yardbirds, Emmylou Harris, Guy Clark, Elvis Costello, Buddy Guy, AC-DC, Mary Black, Hendrix, John Hiatt, Tony Rice, Aerosmith...who knows? There's some of everything in there except opera and hip-hop, both of which are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I have been avidly listening to music for over 50 years, and still have albums by the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers that my mom had when I was a tyke. I started playing professionally in the '60's and earned my pocket money in college playing frat parties, and buying and selling and repairing guitars and amps. Life without music would be unthinkable. If the power goes out, I'll grab one of my acoustic guitars and make my own music.

Moonbear said:
I was out with the some folks last weekend, and we made the same observation. There are people who can't seem to put down the mp3 players. As a group, we concurred that we don't really like having music on non-stop like that, and especially when awareness of surroundings is more important (I like to hear what's going on around me when I'm out walking downtown, or even the long walk to the parking lot from the building I work in...you want to know if there's a car coming up behind you as you're walking through the parking lot, or if someone else is walking behind you).

Same here. People are being less aware of their surroundings. People don't value being attentive. They are so concerned with being cool, looking busy and showing others how much more they have in their life.

I have an iPod with close to 1000 songs on it, a PocketPC with lots of memory cards that have movies and TV shows, and a bunch of other toys. I rarely use them that often at all. I take the bus the school which is like 40-60 minute ride (depends on the day) and I only take the iPod to school once a week. I take my PocketPC when I take the bus out of town because that's like 90 minutes and so I watch TV. All the other days I'm reading a book on the bus, sitting in the back talk, or just hanging enjoy myself.

With all the opportunities I have to use an MP3 player, I still don't use it because that takes away so much more from you while you don't even know it.

Live life; don't try to escape life.

Turbo-1, you need an iPod

turbo-1 said:
I guess I would be one of the people that Penquino is ranting about. Although I cherish periods of silence, listening to the song-birds all around the house, etc, I want to listen to music most of the day. I have several hundred vinyl albums, and hundreds upon hundreds of CDs. Most of them fit in my 400-CD Sony carousel player, and I leave it on shuffle for hours at a time. I just listened to a great T-Bone Walker song, and now the Lovin' Spoonful are on. Next might be Vince Gill, Robben Ford, the Yardbirds, Emmylou Harris, Guy Clark, Elvis Costello, Buddy Guy, AC-DC, Mary Black, Hendrix, John Hiatt, Tony Rice, Aerosmith...who knows? There's some of everything in there except opera and hip-hop, both of which are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

No you don't count. I am talking about people like yomamma who don't know the meaning of money and have ipods.

So because I own an iPod, I am overly psychotic when it comes to music?

Write the companion matrix Cp for p(t) = 6-5t+t^2, and then find the characteristic polynomial of Cp.

yomamma said:
So because I own an iPod, I am overly psychotic when it comes to music?

Boy apple made a fortune...

Moonbear said:

Same here. People are being less aware of their surroundings. People don't value being attentive. They are so concerned with being cool, looking busy and showing others how much more they have in their life.

I have an iPod with close to 1000 songs on it, a PocketPC with lots of memory cards that have movies and TV shows, and a bunch of other toys. I rarely use them that often at all. I take the bus the school which is like 40-60 minute ride (depends on the day) and I only take the iPod to school once a week. I take my PocketPC when I take the bus out of town because that's like 90 minutes and so I watch TV. All the other days I'm reading a book on the bus, sitting in the back talk, or just hanging enjoy myself.

With all the opportunities I have to use an MP3 player, I still don't use it because that takes away so much more from you while you don't even know it.

JasonRox said:

and to me, it makes me think they have far less in their life.

Well, I can be in Nirvana for hours upon hours without listening to music, but that's mainly when I'm cranking the Softail through the mountains, enjoying the twisty-road ride, the smells, and the views. I owned a touring bike for a while (Road King was a bad mistake!) and never ever thought to install a sound system, though it was set up for one. I do not understand people who need to have a radio blaring on a MC or in their little cheap cars with the subwoofers going "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP" down the road. How can that be enjoyable? I remember riding with friends in high-school and we would turn down or shut off the radio so that we could hear each other talk and have understandable conversations.

I enjoy music, but only at certain times. I love hearing the sounds around me. I almost always drive with the radio/CD player off. I rarely have anything going (tv, radio, stereo) when I am at home. I just don't like the constant bombardment of noise. If I listen to something, it should have meaning and at a time I can appreciate it, not just constant chatter in the background, how can anyone do that and not go insane?

At night, I love listening to the wind rustling the leaves, frogs croaking, and so many other little sounds, it's so pleasant.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:

You just posted the same thing twice now :confused:

Evo said:
I enjoy music, but only at certain times. I love hearing the sounds around me. I almost always drive with the radio/CD player off. I rarely have anything going (tv, radio, stereo) when I am at home. I just don't like the constant bombardment of noise. If I listen to something, it should have meaning and at a time I can appreciate it, not just constant chatter in the background, how can anyone do that and not go insane?
When I'm at home working on a project, I've just got to have music going. It just lifts me up when I hear Bonnie Raitt singing "Let's Give the Something to Talk About" or Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Little Wing" or any of the thousands of songs I have in my library. By the way, If you don't have any CDs by Mary Black, go get a couple right now. She is Irish, and she is perhaps the most beautiflul singer in the Engish language. First, get "Babes in the Woods" and then buy "No Frontiers". You will be hooked - what a talent.

turbo-1 said:
When I'm at home working on a project, I've just got to have music going. It just lifts me up when I hear Bonnie Raitt singing "Let's Give the Something to Talk About" or Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Little Wing" or any of the thousands of songs I have in my library. By the way, If you don't have any CDs by Mary Black, go get a couple right now. She is Irish, and she is perhaps the most beautiflul singer in the Engish language. First, get "Babes in the Woods" and then buy "No Frontiers". You will be hooked - what a talent.
Nope, I can't stand having music going when I'm trying to do something.

JasonRox said:
Yep...they do the same with cell phones. It just gives off the message that they aren't interested in the people around them, but instead want to isolate themselves, even when in public. I like music when I'm working, or just sitting home by myself on a rainy day (if it's a nice day, I'd rather listen to the birds), but when someone else comes along, I turn it off. And if I'm using headphones or earbuds, I take them off so they know I'm listening to them. That really annoys me when someone holds a conversation with their earbuds still in...I have no idea if they're actually listening to me or to their music, and I tend to take it to mean they have no interest in conversing with me, so I'll just keep it short and walk away if they do that. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but it just seems it's all indicative of a generation that has not been taught anything about manners and common courtesy.

Evo said:
Nope, I can't stand having music going when I'm trying to do something.
Yeah, we have a bit of a conflict in the lab right now between people who like to work in silence and people who like to work with music on. That's where the iPods come in useful. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I've always gone by the general rule that if there's a difference of opinion of music vs. no music in the work place, no music wins. But, since the people who want silence are the first to leave for the day, we crank up the speakers on the computer the moment they walk out the door. It keeps everyone happy at least part of the day.

Evo said:

At night, I love listening to the wind rustling the leaves, frogs croaking, and so many other little sounds, it's so pleasant.
Ah, but its noise only if it is sound without content. If it's Aretha demanding "respect" or Willie singing "Crazy" I can listen all day. I do love the sounds of the birds and the tree frogs, and will seek out that solitude, but I LOVE music.

How can you love music but hate rap Turbo? I think you have not heard any quality rap, it's like poetry.

I love music but I really don't like rap...I realize that some rap is well done and takes talent, but it's not something I'd listen to...

cyrusabdollahi said:
How can you love music but hate rap Turbo? I think you have not heard any quality rap, it's like poetry.

Good rap is so rare this day that it should be declared its own genre to get away from the crap that floods the markets

Most of the stuff made lately is for the club, that's why.

How can you say you like rap when you haven't listened to Eric B and Rakim, BDP, Big Daddy Kane, and other 80s artist cyrus :tongue2: ?!

For anyone interested in rap/hip-hop, you must avoid pretty much everything made in the last 10 years. Start in 1986/87 and end in 1996/97.

First, you MUST listen to Paid in Full by Eric B. and Rakim, which is the greatest hip-hop album every made!

Here is a little verse from the song I Know you got Soul (from Paid in Full):

It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you
Without a strong rhyme to step to
Think of how many weak shows you slept through
Time's up, I'm sorry I kept you
Thinking of this, you keep repeating you miss
The rhymes from the microphone soloist
And you sit by the radio, hand on the dial, soon
As you hear it, pump up the volume
Dance with the speaker 'till you hear it blow,
Then plug in the headphone 'cause here it go
It's a 4 letter word when it's heard, it control
your body to dance (You got it) soul,
Ditects the tempo like a red alert
Reaches your reflex, so let it work
When this is playing, you can't get stuck with
The steps, so get set and I'm a still come up with
A gift to be swift, follow the leader, the rhyme will go
Def wit the record that was mixed a long time ago
It can be done but only I can do it
For those that can dance and clap your hands to it
I start to think and then I sink
Into the paper like I was ink
When I'm writing, I'm trapped in between the lines,
I escape when I finish the rhyme...
I got soulYou can buy Paid in Full right now from amazon brand new for 8 bucks! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008KLVVO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you think I'm joking here is some more praise of the album:

5 mics from the Source (highest possible)
5 stars from All Music (highest possible) here is a link to the review: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fvb1z88ajyvo
Greatest Hip-Hop album of all time from MTV link: http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2005/greatest_albums_0505/index11.jhtml

Last edited by a moderator:
That album does not impress me. Those rymes are so cheesy. Its like listening to Beastie Boys. No thank you.

Last edited:
I know, listening to someone not cuss for an hour, how can that be rap, right? You need to actually listen to the album before you can say that it does not impress you :tongue2:

I previewed it on Itunes, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I like cursing in my rap, so what? Rap is an expression of struggle.

Expression of struggle? Struggling with what? Illmatic would be struggle, maybe a little bit of Biggie and Pac, Mobb Deep maybe, but that is about all I can think of, and the other half is hardly a struggle. Early rap is about being better than other rappers, being cocky, arrogant.

If you really need cursing you should avoid the 80s! You might like Slick Rick's The Adventures of Slick Rick (released in 88 I think), but it is a bit more sexual/mysogonistic, and not really a struggle, there are plenty of curses though.

<h2>1. Is music addiction a real thing?</h2><p>Yes, music addiction is a real phenomenon that has been studied by researchers. It is characterized by excessive and compulsive listening to music, often to the point of interfering with daily life.</p><h2>2. How do you know if you are addicted to music?</h2><p>There are a few signs that may indicate a person is addicted to music. These include spending a significant amount of time listening to music, feeling anxious or irritable when unable to listen to music, and neglecting responsibilities in order to listen to music. It is important to note that everyone's relationship with music is different and not all music consumption is considered addiction.</p><h2>3. Can music addiction have negative effects on a person's life?</h2><p>Yes, music addiction can have negative effects on a person's life. It can lead to social isolation, neglect of important tasks and relationships, and even physical symptoms such as hearing loss or headaches. It can also interfere with a person's ability to cope with emotions in a healthy way.</p><h2>4. How is music addiction treated?</h2><p>There is no one specific treatment for music addiction, as it can vary from person to person. However, some common approaches include cognitive-behavioral therapy, which aims to change negative thought patterns and behaviors related to music consumption, and developing healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with emotions. Support groups and individual therapy can also be beneficial for those struggling with music addiction.</p><h2>5. Can music addiction be prevented?</h2><p>While there is no foolproof way to prevent music addiction, there are some steps that can be taken to maintain a healthy relationship with music. This includes setting limits on music consumption, diversifying music choices, and being aware of any negative effects music may have on one's life. It is also important to seek professional help if you feel like your relationship with music may be becoming unhealthy.</p>

1. Is music addiction a real thing?

Yes, music addiction is a real phenomenon that has been studied by researchers. It is characterized by excessive and compulsive listening to music, often to the point of interfering with daily life.

2. How do you know if you are addicted to music?

There are a few signs that may indicate a person is addicted to music. These include spending a significant amount of time listening to music, feeling anxious or irritable when unable to listen to music, and neglecting responsibilities in order to listen to music. It is important to note that everyone's relationship with music is different and not all music consumption is considered addiction.

3. Can music addiction have negative effects on a person's life?

Yes, music addiction can have negative effects on a person's life. It can lead to social isolation, neglect of important tasks and relationships, and even physical symptoms such as hearing loss or headaches. It can also interfere with a person's ability to cope with emotions in a healthy way.

4. How is music addiction treated?

There is no one specific treatment for music addiction, as it can vary from person to person. However, some common approaches include cognitive-behavioral therapy, which aims to change negative thought patterns and behaviors related to music consumption, and developing healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with emotions. Support groups and individual therapy can also be beneficial for those struggling with music addiction.

5. Can music addiction be prevented?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent music addiction, there are some steps that can be taken to maintain a healthy relationship with music. This includes setting limits on music consumption, diversifying music choices, and being aware of any negative effects music may have on one's life. It is also important to seek professional help if you feel like your relationship with music may be becoming unhealthy.