Troubleshooting Graphic Display Issues on RH Linux 9 | Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Gagan A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with their new system at their new institute. The system, which is running FC2, consistently crashes and gives error messages. The maintenance team tried reinstalling FC2 and then switching to RH9, but the problem persists. The speaker eventually discovers that they need to use a lower display resolution in order to avoid these issues. They are wondering if it is possible to use a higher resolution and mention the possibility of trying FC5. They are also unsure of how to check their true configuration.
Gagan A
OK, Here I go. :cry:
I am in my new institute and a system is allotted to me. But the system is not working fine (FC2), as there was some problem with the graphic display, it would hang, eg "gnome-panel has crashed" and what ever app was started it gave such an error msg or just closed itself without giving any msg. The system would just get to the login screen when one is logged on, and sometimes give a error msg "unable to start normal login. I will now try to switch to other one." (or something like this)
So the maintainence guys installed FC2 again but again the same problem. So I told them to try RH9 instead and they installed it. But I was still facing the same problem. But I got to the matter in the end - I have to use 800*600 instead of 1024*768.
My problem - Is it possible to use 1024*768 mode, since in 800*600 everything seems so large?
Any other info you need just tell me? Please do tell me how to get that info too.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You might give FC5 a shot. FC2 is a little long in the tooth now. Check the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 to make sure everything is configured properly for your monitor and video card.

I know FC5, but the system is old (P3) and even FC2 was slow.

And there is no such file named xorg.conf in the folder. Maybe it is in a different folder. But even if I get hold of the file, how do I know my true configuration?

1. What is RH Linux 9 and how is it different from other operating systems?

RH Linux 9, also known as Red Hat Linux 9, is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. It is a distribution of the Linux operating system, which is open-source and free to use. RH Linux 9 is different from other operating systems in that it is highly customizable and has a strong focus on security and stability. Additionally, it is designed for use in enterprise environments with its advanced server features and support for a wide range of hardware.

2. How do I install RH Linux 9 on my computer?

To install RH Linux 9, you will need to first download the ISO file from the official website. Then, you can either burn the ISO file onto a CD or create a bootable USB drive. Once you have a bootable media, you can insert it into your computer and follow the prompts to install the operating system. It is important to note that the installation process may vary depending on your computer's hardware and any existing operating systems.

3. Can I upgrade from an older version of Red Hat Linux to RH Linux 9?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from an older version of Red Hat Linux to RH Linux 9. However, it is recommended to perform a clean installation instead of an upgrade, as it may cause compatibility issues and result in a less stable system. If you still want to upgrade, make sure to back up your important files and settings before proceeding.

4. What are the system requirements for running RH Linux 9?

The minimum system requirements for RH Linux 9 are a 500 MHz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 2 GB of available hard disk space. However, for optimal performance, it is recommended to have at least a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, and 20 GB of available hard disk space. It is also important to note that these requirements may vary depending on the intended use of the operating system.

5. Where can I find support and resources for RH Linux 9?

There are many online resources available for RH Linux 9, including official documentation and forums. You can also find support from other users and experts on various online communities and social media platforms. Additionally, there are many books and tutorials available for learning and troubleshooting RH Linux 9. If you need more personalized support, you can also consider purchasing a support subscription from Red Hat.