Mixed Quantifers confusion Descrete Math

In summary: The answer is yes. If x = 1, then no matter what y you choose, the equation will be false. So for the first question, the answer is FALSE, because there are some x's that won't work. And that's how you answer it. You have to go through all the possible values of x and see if there's any y that will work for each x. If there is, then it's true, if there isn't, then it's false.
mr_coffee
THe directions say< indicate which fo the following statements are true and which are false, Justify your answers as best you can.

Here is the question:
[tex] \exists [/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] R such that [tex]\forall[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] R, x = y + 1.

I wrote the following:
There exists a real number x such that given any real number y the property x=y+1 will be true. True. y = x-1. Then y is a real number, and y + 1 = (x-1)+1 = x.

I really don't know if i did this right or not but there was an example but slighty different and the book had the following:
[tex]\forall[/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] Z, [tex]\exists[/tex] y [tex]\in[/tex] Z such that x = y + 1.

There answer was:
Given any integer, there is an integer such that tthe first inteer is one more than the second integer. this is true. Given any integer x, take y = x-1. Then y is an integer, and y + 1 = (x-1) + 1 = x.

I'm really confused on how to go about tackling these problems. Any help would be great! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, there needs to be a single x that works for all y. Note how this is different from the second one.

mr_coffee said:
THe directions say< indicate which fo the following statements are true and which are false, Justify your answers as best you can.

Here is the question:
[tex] \exists [/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] R such that [tex]\forall[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] R, x = y + 1.
Doesn't make sense. Did you mean [tex]\for all y[/itex] ??
If you meant [tex]\forall y[/tex] then y= x-1 works, doesn't it?

I wrote the following:
There exists a real number x such that given any real number y the property x=y+1 will be true. True. y = x-1. Then y is a real number, and y + 1 = (x-1)+1 = x.

I really don't know if i did this right or not but there was an example but slighty different and the book had the following:
[tex]\forall[/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] Z, [tex]\exists[/tex] y [tex]\in[/tex] Z such that x = y + 1.
What is true in Z (set of all integers) is not necessarily true in R (set of all real numbers) but the difference is usually a matter of multiplication or division, not addition.

[/quote]There answer was:
Given any integer, there is an integer such that tthe first inteer is one more than the second integer. this is true. Given any integer x, take y = x-1. Then y is an integer, and y + 1 = (x-1) + 1 = x.

I'm really confused on how to go about tackling these problems. Any help would be great! thanks![/QUOTE]

I thought it was odd that I could solve them exactly the same way. For the first one, if i had to find a single x for all y, u would think i would have to write it differently than if i was finding for all x there exists a y.

The order of the quantifiers is switched between the example and your problem. Your problem says, (as you correctly interpreted):
"There exists a real number x such that given any real number y the property x=y+1 will be true."
Another way of putting it is:
"There exists a real number x such that no matter what real number y I choose, x = y+1."
You should intuitively convince yourself that these are the same.

So let's try an example--say that x = 2. Is it true that no matter what real number y I choose, x = y + 1? No, because if I choose y = 100, then x does not equal 100 + 1 = 101. What if I chose x = 5. Could you find a y that makes the equation false? Is there ANY x that wouldn't have a y that would make the equation false?

What is mixed quantifiers confusion in discrete math?

Mixed quantifiers confusion is a common problem in discrete math where students confuse the order of quantifiers in a logical statement. This can lead to incorrect interpretations and solutions to problems.

What are quantifiers in discrete math?

Quantifiers are symbols used to indicate the scope or range of a variable in a logical statement. In discrete math, the two main quantifiers are the universal quantifier (∀) and the existential quantifier (∃).

What is the difference between universal and existential quantifiers?

The universal quantifier (∀) denotes that a statement is true for all elements in a set, while the existential quantifier (∃) denotes that a statement is true for at least one element in a set.

How can I avoid mixed quantifiers confusion in discrete math?

To avoid mixed quantifiers confusion, it is important to pay close attention to the order of quantifiers in a logical statement. Additionally, practicing with examples and seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor can help to improve understanding.

Can mixed quantifiers confusion lead to incorrect solutions in discrete math?

Yes, mixed quantifiers confusion can lead to incorrect solutions in discrete math as it can change the meaning of a logical statement and therefore result in an incorrect conclusion. It is important to accurately interpret the order of quantifiers to arrive at the correct solution.