Continuity of Integrals in L^1 Spaces

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: But anyways, I think that's the gist of it.In summary, the function F is continuous if for any sequence x_n such that x_n \rightarrow x, F(x_n) \rightarrow F(x).
Oxymoron
Question:

Prove that if [itex]f \in L^1(\mathbb{R},\mathcal{B},m)[/itex] and [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] is fixed, then [itex]F(x):=\int_{[a,x]}f\mbox{d}m[/itex] is continuous. Where [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] is the Borel [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra, and [itex]m[/itex] is a measure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was hoping to use the following definition:

A function [itex]f[/itex] is continuous if for any sequence [itex]x_n[/itex] such that

[tex]x_n \rightarrow x[/tex]

then

[tex]F(x_n) \rightarrow F(x)[/tex]

Does this sound like the right approach?

Maybe. Can you show that [itex]\int_a^b+\int_b^c=\int_a^c[/itex], and then that as xn->x, [itex]\int_{x_n}^x f dm[/itex]->0?

Im not sure that would help. But what do I know!? :uhh:

I was thinking that to show that F(x) was continuous I would do something like this:

1) Fix [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and let [itex]x_n[/itex] be a sequence that converges to x as n approaches infinity. You know, all the regular proof setting up stuff.

2) Use the Dominated Convergence Theorem to show that the sequence [itex]F(x_n)[/itex] converges, and finally get something like

3) [tex]\int_{[a,x]}f_n\mbox{d}m = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int_{[a,x]}f_n\mbox{d}m[/tex]

Hence showing that

[tex]F(x_n) \rightarrow_{n\rightarrow\infty} F(x)[/tex]

So basically I think using the D.C.T. is essential here. What does anyone think of this method?

Last edited:
I'm guessing the f_n are functions that are equal to f everywhere except in (x_n,x), where they are 0. So you need to show that the integral from [a,x_n] of f is equal to the integral over [a,x] of f_n, and that the integrals of the f_n converges to the integral of their limit, f, which you can do using the dominated convergence theorem, bounding the |f_n| above by |f|. Sounds good. My suggestion was just to show that the error (the integral over [x_n,x] of f) goes to zero as x_n goes to x.

1. What is the definition of continuity on L^1 spaces?

Continuity on L^1 spaces is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function on a particular type of function space. Specifically, it refers to the idea that a function f(x) is continuous if for any sequence of functions {g_n} in L^1, the limit of the integral of g_n approaches the integral of f(x). In other words, as the sequence of functions gets closer to f(x), the integrals of those functions should also get closer to the integral of f(x).

2. How is continuity on L^1 spaces different from continuity on other function spaces?

Continuity on L^1 spaces is unique because it takes into account the integrability of a function. This means that not only does the function itself need to approach a limit, but also the integral of the function needs to approach a limit. In other function spaces, only the function itself needs to approach a limit for continuity to hold.

3. What are some practical applications of continuity on L^1 spaces?

Continuity on L^1 spaces has various applications in mathematics, engineering, and physics. One example is in signal processing, where it is used to analyze and manipulate signals in a continuous manner. It is also used in probability theory to study the behavior of random variables, as well as in functional analysis to understand the properties of different function spaces.

4. Can continuity on L^1 spaces only be applied to real-valued functions?

No, continuity on L^1 spaces can be applied to both real-valued and complex-valued functions. The definition of continuity remains the same, but the integrals are calculated differently for complex-valued functions. In this case, the integral is calculated using the absolute value of the complex-valued function.

5. Are there any special cases where continuity on L^1 spaces does not hold?

Yes, there are some special cases where continuity on L^1 spaces may not hold. One example is when the function is not integrable, meaning that its integral is infinite. In this case, the integral of the sequence of functions may not approach the integral of the function, and therefore continuity on L^1 spaces does not hold. Additionally, if the function is not defined on the entire function space, continuity may also not hold.