What is it called when they use the minority to attack the majority?

• Thread starter Descartes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a common argument tactic where one uses a single instance to negate a larger argument. This is often referred to as hasty generalization and should not be confused with a straw man argument, where a weak or false argument is made to defeat the opponent's view. This tactic is also known as choplogic.
Descartes
For example:

- You once lied.
- You are therefore a liar.

Perhaps not a very good example, but the premise is the same; they will attack a single manifestation of something as though it were a microcosm of everything else. What is this called? I first thought it was somewhat of a straw man argument, but I'm not certain. It happens a lot in arguments, because someone will take one instance out of many to negate all else. Make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but it is not a "stawman". A strawman is a weak argument made to be defeated. You frame your opponent's view in a weak, or even false, way that can easily be negated.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
I don't know, but it is not a "stawman". A strawman is a weak argument made to be defeated. You frame your opponent's view in a weak, or even false, way that can easily be negated.

Njorl

That's why I thought it was somewhat of a straw man, because they embellished on a single instance of something (the weak argument) to negate the entire argument. I know it's not, but that's the closest one that came to mind.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just hasty generalisation?
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html

I would have said choplogic, but I think FZ+ is right.

I believe FZ is correct, so I can now at least put a name to it when I hear the familiar argument.

Thanks all!

1. What is the term used to describe when the minority attacks the majority?

The term used to describe when the minority attacks the majority is called "minority attack" or "minority assault". This refers to a strategy or tactic used by a smaller group to gain power or influence over a larger group through aggressive or confrontational means.

2. How does a minority attack the majority?

A minority attack can manifest in various ways, such as through protests, boycotts, or propaganda campaigns. It can also involve using legal or political systems to challenge the majority's power or policies. In extreme cases, violence or armed conflict may be used as a form of minority attack.

3. What are the reasons behind a minority attack?

The reasons behind a minority attack can vary, but often stem from feelings of inequality, oppression, or discrimination by the majority group. The minority may also feel their needs and interests are not being adequately represented or addressed by the majority, leading them to resort to aggressive tactics.

4. Can a minority attack be successful?

Yes, a minority attack can be successful in achieving its goals, but it can also lead to backlash and further conflict between the minority and majority. Success largely depends on the specific circumstances and strategies used by the minority, as well as the response of the majority to the attack.

5. How can a minority attack be prevented?

Preventing a minority attack involves addressing the underlying issues and grievances of the minority group, promoting equality and inclusion, and fostering open communication and understanding between the minority and majority. It is also important for authorities and leaders to address any power imbalances and address any oppressive or discriminatory policies that may fuel a minority attack.