Junior in high school interested in Physics

In summary, the speaker is a junior in high school planning to major in physics. They are considering taking AP Calculus BC, AP Physics 1 and 2, and AP Statistics courses. They are wondering if statistics will be useful in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. Another person suggests looking into what AP stats courses will give credit for to ensure appropriate level of knowledge. The speaker is more interested in gaining knowledge rather than receiving credit.
DougD720
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a Junior in high school, and i want to go to school for physics when i graduate. I'm planning my classes for next year, the ones that are of concern to what i intend to major in are: AP Calculus BC, AP Physics 1,2 (mechanics (1) and electricity and magnetism (2)). I'm also thinking about taking an AP Statistics course, I'm just wondering whether or not i'll ever use that stuff in physics. I would assume i would (in perhaps quantum mechanics in college considering it predicts the chances an event will happen.)

Thanks for any help you can give!

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a physics major but an engineering/science and I was never given any stats courses in high school and yet I have to take 2 400 level stats.

So I imgaine you will need to take some form of stats but you might also want to see what AP stats will give you credit for. Maybe it will only give you credit for a 200-300 level stats course, not 400 so make sure you check that out.

Yeah, the credit doesn't bother me so much, it's more of just having the knowledge there. So i have one yes so far, ha. Thanks!

1. What are the benefits of studying Physics in high school?

Studying Physics in high school can provide a strong foundation for higher education in STEM fields, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many areas. It can also lead to exciting career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and technology.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to excel in Physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly be helpful in understanding and applying concepts in Physics, it is not necessarily a requirement for success. It is possible for students to develop their math skills alongside their study of Physics.

3. Are there any resources or extracurricular activities that can enhance my understanding of Physics?

There are many resources available for students interested in Physics, including online tutorials, educational videos, and interactive simulations. Joining a Physics club or participating in science fairs and competitions can also provide hands-on learning experiences and opportunities to connect with other students and professionals in the field.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone interested in Physics?

Careers in Physics can vary greatly, from research and development in industries such as aerospace and energy, to teaching and academia, to data analysis and consulting. Some specific job titles may include physicist, engineer, data scientist, or science educator.

5. What are some common misconceptions about studying Physics in high school?

One common misconception is that Physics is only for the most advanced or gifted students. In reality, with dedication and hard work, students of all levels can succeed in Physics. Another misconception is that Physics is boring or too difficult to understand. However, with engaging teaching methods and real-world applications, Physics can be fascinating and accessible to students of all backgrounds.