Society and getting assaulted in jail

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
In summary: People will then think longer before they commit a crime, because prison is such a horrible punishment.
It's not fair what happened to you. My mom always told me that 'life is not fair'. Not only can you be raped in prison, but you can be raped in the outside world too. I have, several times. You just have to deal with it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't want to come off as cold hearted here. But what all that I'm saying is that if you do a crime 3 times, you are going to have to pay the price for your actions. Even though this is not what he is sentenced to 'by law', it is what happens in the 'Real world'. He should have weighed that into his choices in life.

Now, if this were a guy who did something bad one time and it was minor, I might have sympathy for him. If it was a person who had never been to prison, I would be open ears. But this guy is just an idiot. So, no I don't feel bad for him nor do I really want to hear his crying.

We have all gotten speeding tickets. But for most of us, we drive fast and get a ticket at most, 1 time out of every 100 we speed?

That means to get caught 3 times in a row, this guy was doing a lot of drinking and driving those other times he did not get caught.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
Being the mother of a child murdered by a 4 time DUI driver...I wonder just how many chances you want to give these "poor people with a problem" to kill?

The point is to get them treatment so they don't repeat the offense and kill someone. What I'm suggesting is that sending someone to prison for a few years, exposing them to rape, or other violence, allowing them to become addicted to more drugs (an understandable reaction in an attempt to "escape" awareness of the horror of knowing you'll be repeatedly raped with no way to avoid it), and then releasing them with more addictions than they started with, and likely more anger and hate than when they entered, because some arbitrary time limit expired, is MORE likely to result in a repeated offense. Instead, put them in a supervised program, more like an involuntary committment for a psychiatric disorder (it fits the criteria of posing a risk of harm to self or others, doesn't it?), and get them clean, not put them in an environment where their addictions will just worsen, and don't let them out until they are better. Treat it as a hospital, not a punishment with an arbitrary time limit, and perhaps that person would have only had one DUI on their record, not 4 plus vehicular manslaughter.

In some cases, this might extend sentences longer, if someone needs more time to get better, and in other cases, it might be a bit shorter. If the sentence is "to effect" and not "5 years with possibility of early parole," you aren't tossing people back out on the streets who aren't ready to return to society. Good behavior might mean your treatment is working, but doesn't necessarily mean you're well enough to return to the streets. The criteria for legal insanity are quite different from medical criteria, and I think the medical criteria are what need to be employed when it comes to sentencing and decisions for release.

With rare exception there is small effort at rehab, most have given up on such a notion. Can prison be made so miserable, that a single exposure would innoculate the inmate from any thought of misdeeds forever? Unlikely. And the more we get to know of the brains of the imprisoned, the less normal they seem. undercutting both the assumption that they are completely culpable in a moral sense, and serving reminder that punishment is the solution. In particular, impulsivity is a rising star in the "personality" traits that may predispose to crime. By its nature it is untempered to the same extent by previous negative experiences, as others might be. You see this with disruptive kids all the time.

This is not meant to be some bleeding heart they are all victims soapbox stance. But if we want to ditch the present proposition which has an unprescedented an disproportionate number of US citizens behind bars, we need to break free from the assumption that all reasonable minds work alike.

What we do know, maybe, is that sociopathy seems to be incurable--and there are many more of these walking about and succeeding in huge measure, than behind bars. But they seem so normal to appearances, like you and me, that when caught, do little if any time, and are often model prisoners.

As a 4 time offender in MI, he had already gone into the mandatory treatment programs, had already been fined thousands of dollars, had already had his driveing license removed {driveing without one}. Every state has programs set aside, with special funding, and special staff.
Those programs only work for people who want to change. Many choose not to change.
They are still murders, and in my eyes are no better then someone on crack with a gun shooting kids. They need to be in prison, they need to understand they are as "bad" as the people they are with. If they have totally blown off the chances they were given, then the choice to be in prison, was also there own.
The guy in the OP, I don't feel sorry for him, not one bit.

hypatia said:
As a 4 time offender in MI, he had already gone into the mandatory treatment programs, had already been fined thousands of dollars, had already had his driveing license removed {driveing without one}. Every state has programs set aside, with special funding, and special staff.
Those programs only work for people who want to change. Many choose not to change.
They are still murders, and in my eyes are no better then someone on crack with a gun shooting kids. They need to be in prison, they need to understand they are as "bad" as the people they are with. If they have totally blown off the chances they were given, then the choice to be in prison, was also there own.
The guy in the OP, I don't feel sorry for him, not one bit.

Precisely. All these consequences talk to the cortex of the brain, when the lesion is in a much more primitive, both evolutionarily speaking as well as in ints spere of influence.

You can choose not to feel sorry for him, but better methods of treatment are available, while not costing the state 50k/yr to warehouse him./

Defending the violence of the status quo is both lazy and easy. It takes very little brainpower, empathy, or anything else. All you have to do is keep harping that, "this is the way things are!"

It's the position that would've justified killing rape victims in the old days because they were "unclean"; keeping slaves because it was profitable for the slaveholders; torturing witches because it was an effective way of determining whether they were innocent or not.

I think what we should be asking is whether a society that allows rape should be considered a society in the first place.

please. isn't there enough ***** in the world.

Lume said:
I think what we should be asking is whether a society that allows rape should be considered a society in the first place.

We don't allow rape, so this is a meaningless statement. Just because it happens does not mean its allowed.

Lume said:
Defending the violence of the status quo is both lazy and easy. It takes very little brainpower, empathy, or anything else. All you have to do is keep harping that, "this is the way things are!"

It's the position that would've justified killing rape victims in the old days because they were "unclean"; keeping slaves because it was profitable for the slaveholders; torturing witches because it was an effective way of determining whether they were innocent or not.

And what about sitting on an internet forum spouting off about how things should change but doing nothing about it isn't lazy and easy either? What are all of you who feel so strongly about this doing to change it? I'm not trying to seem like a jerk about this, but there seem to be a lot of people on here talking about the other side with their "redneck backcountry hick uneducated lazy and easy way out views" but I don't see anyone saying what they are doing about it.

I will fully admit that I am all for punishment...they deserve it. When I say punishment I do not mean that petty criminals should be locked up with the hardcore criminals in a max security prison but do I believe that the murderers, rapists, child predators should be locked up and live a life of hell. Rehab is great if it works, but they also have to want it, and I'm not entirely convinced they all do, and no amount of rehab will bring their victims back to life or change what happened to them.

Some people that commit crimes do genuinely have mental issues beyond their control and obviously they should not be locked up but should be given the help they need. But you cannot tell me there are not just some truly evil people in this world that know exactly what they are doing and don't care about what their actions do to other people.

Obviously those locked up in prison should not be allowed to rape, do drugs, and whatever else it is they do. When I said I didn't care what happened to them I wasn't condoning such actions, I am just saying that they put themselves in that situation and I have a hard time finding any sympathy for them.

The guy that was a 3rd or 4th time DUI is an absolute idiot, and deserves incarceration. Someone a few posts back mentioned that no one actually died from one particular case of a DUI, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened. The second he got behind the wheel he put those around him at risk. He deserved everything he got and more. Hypatia has my deepest sympathy for what happened, and what happened to her son is exactly why such people should be dealt with the first time and severely. Alcoholic or not they know damn well what can happen when they drive drunk.

Honestly prison is a bit to much of a cakewalk, sit in cell all day, have the rest of society pay to feed, clothe, educate you and put you through rehab. Maybe hard labour would be a solution, wouldn't be any crap happening if they were so exhausted by the end of the day they could barely stand.
Both sides of this argument obviously have valid points, and I do not thing that a solution based on the argument of only one side will be the right one.

That all being said, I apologize for rambling on and genuinely hope that I did not offend anyone with any of my statements. I hope nothing I said will be taken the wrong way, I am not usually a fan of debating on internet forums because it is easy to misinterpret opinions and take things the wrong way.

We don't know that the guy is an idiot, only one who has a problem and exercises very bad judgement under the influence, where he seems to spend a good deal of his time. You can lock him up in the hopes that he gets it--at taxpayer expense--or simply take away his right to drink. This can be accomplished using disulfiram and testing. Here in Colorado many second time and even first time offenders are being referred to physicians for such. Seems more enlightened than throwing them in jail where kids and family will take a major hit--bit like UN sanctions, punish the population for the acts of the gov't in the hopes this will change the leader's actions, who like Saddam are often sociopathic to the extreme. Dumb.

denverdoc said:
We don't know that the guy is an idiot, only one who has a problem and exercises very bad judgement under the influence, where he seems to spend a good deal of his time.

A behavior that is to drive drunk a third time after being caught two times already can be indeed classified as stupid behavior. Just because you have a problem drinking doesn't excuse your actions. After the second time, he could just ask someone to hide his car keys, or wait, even better install an alcometer in his car.

Aye, the above action is stupid alright, but alcohol does that. So agreed, he should have stashed his keys, drank at home, taken a cab, whatever.

We don't have enuf data to classify him as an all round idiot, just a part time one--he may be a astrophysicist on his day job, and a damn good one at that. Alcometers can be beat--it should have never reached a 4'th time is my point, had earlier interventions been better. I treat addictions as part of my practice and most addicts are far smarter than the average bear has been my experience.

cyrusabdollahi said:
We don't allow rape, so this is a meaningless statement. Just because it happens does not mean its allowed.

Just because it happens and no one does anything about it doesn't mean it's allowed? Really?? I think we are operating with two different definitions of the word "allowed."

scorpa said:
What are all of you who feel so strongly about this doing to change it? I'm not trying to seem like a jerk about this, but there seem to be a lot of people on here talking about the other side with their "redneck backcountry hick uneducated lazy and easy way out views" but I don't see anyone saying what they are doing about it.

Who am I, Don Quixote? It's hard to change an evil in the system before you convince a certain number of people that it's evil in the first place. Trying to raise awareness is the first step, but I plan to give money to human rights organizations once I actually have an income, if that answers your question. If you’re willing to help fight for basic human rights for everyone, and not just the people you find morally pleasant, that’s one more person on the right side.

scorpa said:
The guy that was a 3rd or 4th time DUI is an absolute idiot, and deserves incarceration.
I would say that he is a drug addict, which we all have the potential to be. I realize that’s not as easy as simply dismissing him as an idiot, but I think it’s a little closer to the truth.

There is a plethora of information available that driving while using a cell phone is even more dangerous than driving drunk. Perhaps we should allow anyone that drives with a cell phone to be raped, too, while we're playing the "what if they did that" game, trying to provoke each other’s outrage.

Just because it happens and no one does anything about it doesn't mean it's allowed? Really?? I think we are operating with two different definitions of the word "allowed."

Murder is not allowed, but it happens all the time. I have no clue what your talking about though...

cyrusabdollahi said:
Murder is not allowed, but it happens all the time. I have no clue what your talking about though...

i think he might have been referring to "I explained to the hearing officer what the issue was. He told me that off the record, He suggests I find a man I would/could willingly have sex with to prevent these things from happening. I've requested protective custody only to be denied.".

the authorities knew this guy was being abused, he could have proven it with a doctor's assesment of his injurys being of a sexual nature, but the person in the position of authority didnt think it was his responsability to take proective action.

so its like "i know what's going on and that's not allowed but I am not going to do anything about it"

devil-fire said:
i think he might have been referring to "I explained to the hearing officer what the issue was. He told me that off the record, He suggests I find a man I would/could willingly have sex with to prevent these things from happening. I've requested protective custody only to be denied.".

the authorities knew this guy was being abused, he could have proven it with a doctor's assesment of his injurys being of a sexual nature, but the person in the position of authority didnt think it was his responsability to take proective action.

so its like "i know what's going on and that's not allowed but I am not going to do anything about it"

Ah, that is a logical response for which I can say nothing. :approve:

Hasn't it occurred to any of you that the crimes people go to jail to vary greatly in seriousness? Of course, if you're in jail, you're probably not an angel, but that does not mean you're a murderer either.

What I find very ironic is the distributive inequality of this so-called punishment: who, you think, rapes other inmates in jail? Obviously, it is someone who is violent by nature, who is likely to be there for a crime that involved violence. Do you think this person, who might have killed somebody, gets raped too? Of course not! It's the weaker, less aggressive inmates who get raped: not the murderers and the hardened thugs, but more often than not the petty criminals who are inside for less serious offenses.

This means that the inmates who committed the worst crimes, who ruined (or ended) their victims' lives, are less likely to get raped in jail than average Joe who likes to hit the bottle before taking the wheel. I'm not saying that drunk driving is OK, in fact I do agree that jail time is justified for such reckless and repeated behavior, but is DUI worst than rape or murder? This is what we would have to conclude if we followed this logic of jail rape being a punishment for the crime...

There is also the issue that rape can easily carry consequences that stretch far beyond the jail term. Aside from the obvious psychological trauma of rape, someone diagnosed with AIDS is condemned to a life sentence of drug cocktails, weak health and probably to a premature death. If you are sentenced to, say, five years in prison, your punishment should be over after these five years of inprisonment. Whatever crimes you committed, you should be able to go on with life after you've served your time (unless, of course, you've been sentenced to spend your whole life in the can). If you reoffend, you'll get jail time again, but otherwise nobody should be barred from becoming a useful member of society once they have been punished for their previous actions.

You do know that no one has responded to this thread in over a year?

It seems all has been said on all sides of this issue that there is no need to drag it up again.

Last edited: