Field trace and norm (Equivalence between definitions)

In summary, the conversation is about a separable extension of L/K, with char(K)=0. There are n=[L:K] K embeddings of L into an algebraic closure C of L. Trace and norm are defined for elements in L with respect to the extension L/K. The proposition being discussed is that the trace and norm of an element a in L are equal to the trace and determinant of a linear operator T_a, defined as T_a(x)=ax. The goal is to show that the characteristic polynomial of T_a is (x-a_1)...(x-a_n), where a_1,...,a_n are the images of a under the K embeddings of L into C. After struggling to prove this,
Palindrom
I'm sure whoever is familiar with this subject has already seen this several times. I've seen it several times myself, and I even remember proving it in detail a couple of years ago, but now I'm stuck.

I'm quoting what my professor did in class.

Given some separable extension L/K, say for simplicity char(K)=0 and forget separability issues, we know that there are exactly n=[L:K] K embeddings of L into some algebraic closure C of L. For a in L we define its trace and norm (with respect to the extension L/K) respectively as the sum and the product of the n embeddings' actions on a.

All good.

Now the proposition that's bugging me is the following one: had we defined a linear operator on L by T_a(x)=ax, then the trace and the norm of a are exactly that trace and determinant of T_a.

I'm trying to show that the characteristic polynomial of T_a is exactly (x-a_1)...(x-a_n), where a_1,...,a_n are the images of a under the K embeddings of L into C. While this is a very nice idea, I'm failing miserably.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
In case anyone decided to try and help, I finally succeeded in writing a proof. My original idea even worked!

great work!

1. What is the difference between field trace and norm?

The field trace of an element in a finite field is the sum of all its conjugates, while the norm is the product of all its conjugates. In other words, the trace is the sum of all the field elements that can be obtained by repeatedly multiplying the given element by itself, while the norm is the product of those same elements.

2. How can I calculate the field trace and norm of an element in a finite field?

To calculate the field trace and norm, you will need to know the order of the finite field and the given element. You can then use the properties of the field to perform the necessary calculations, either by hand or using a computer program.

3. What is the importance of field trace and norm in mathematics?

Field trace and norm play important roles in algebraic number theory, finite field theory, and coding theory. They are used to study the properties of finite fields and their subfields, as well as to construct error-correcting codes for communication systems.

4. Can the definitions of field trace and norm be used interchangeably?

No, the definitions of field trace and norm are not interchangeable. While they are equivalent in some cases, they are distinct mathematical concepts with different properties and applications.

5. How do the definitions of field trace and norm relate to the concept of the minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial of an element in a finite field is a polynomial of the lowest degree that has that element as a root. The coefficients of the minimal polynomial are related to the field trace and norm of that element. Specifically, the field trace is equal to the negative of the coefficient of the term with the highest degree, while the norm is equal to the constant term of the minimal polynomial.