Solve Flow Over Topography with FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics and PDE Weak Forms

In summary, the conversation is about using FEMLAB to solve flow over topography using the lubrication equation. The speaker has implemented the equation but is getting wrong results and is looking for suggestions. Another person in the conversation has experience with thin film flows and is curious if the speaker was able to solve the issue.
Catherine
I have just started to work on FEMLAB.I am using at the moment the PDE modes-Weak forms to solve flow over topography using the lubrication equation. I have implemented the lubrication equations into the subsomain settings and set the boundary conditions but i do get wrong results. Does anyone knows FEMLAB?

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Catherine, haven't used the lubrication equations that much myself but perhaps can come up with something. What do you mean by getting the wrong results, what actually is wrong?

Hi Vanechka, I know the results that I should be expecting from "Gravity driven flow of continuous thin liquid films on non-porous substrated with topography" I am trying to solve the flow over a step down with the lubrication equation in FEMLAB. I have implemented the lubrication equation into the subdomain settings in terms of weak forms for the film thickness and pressure equation. the initial condition were: the film thickness is h=1 and at the outlet the first derivative dh/dx=0.Could you please advice me.
Thanks

Hi Catherine,

I have some experience working with thin film flows. I would like to know if you finally made FEMLAB work with the lubrication equation.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the challenges that come with using new software and solving complex equations. It is important to carefully review your implementation of the lubrication equations and ensure that all inputs and boundary conditions are correctly specified. If you continue to encounter incorrect results, I recommend reaching out to the FEMLAB community for assistance. They may have encountered similar issues and can offer helpful insights or troubleshooting tips. Additionally, consulting with colleagues or seeking guidance from a mentor can also be beneficial. Remember to document your steps and results, and to continue persevering in your research. Best of luck in your work with FEMLAB!

1. What is FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics and how does it work?

FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics is a software tool used for solving partial differential equations (PDEs) using Finite Element Methods (FEM). It works by discretizing the PDE into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved numerically using a computer.

2. What is the significance of solving flow over topography with FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics?

Solving flow over topography with FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics allows for the accurate simulation and analysis of fluid flow over varying terrains, which is important in many fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and civil engineering.

3. What are PDE weak forms and why are they important in this context?

PDE weak forms are alternative formulations of PDEs that are used in FEM to discretize the equations. They are important because they allow for a more flexible and efficient approach to solving complex problems, such as flow over topography, by reducing the computational complexity and improving accuracy.

4. What are the key features of FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics for solving flow over topography?

FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics has several key features that make it well-suited for solving flow over topography. These include the ability to handle complex geometries, the ability to model multiple physics (such as fluid flow and heat transfer), and the ability to incorporate user-defined PDEs and boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving flow over topography with FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics?

Some real-world applications of solving flow over topography with FEMLAB-COMSOL Multiphysics include predicting the impact of wind on buildings and structures, simulating ocean currents and waves for offshore engineering projects, and studying the effects of topography on weather patterns and climate change.