Analysis - irrational number or positive integer

In summary, the homework statement is that k^{1/n} is either a positive integer or an irrational number. EnumaElish shows that if q is not an integer or an irrational number, then k must also be an integer. But q cannot be an integer because it would then be a product of two integers and not a prime. JohnF is able to understand the proof better after seeing the assumptions made.
silimay

Homework Statement

Let n and k be positive integers. Show that [tex]k^{1/n}[/tex] is either a positive integer or an irrational number.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set [tex]q = k^{1/n}[/tex]. Then I set [tex]q = \frac{m}{p} [/tex]. (Where m and p don't have common factors.) Then [tex]m^n = k * p^n [/tex]. So then k is a factor of [tex]m^n[/tex].

But here I get stuck. In other proofs they usually show that, like, then k must also be a factor of m, (but I don't know how to do that, if it is true), and then so [tex]m^n = [/tex] an integer * k^2, so then k must also be a factor of [tex]p^n[/tex], which means that m and p do have a common factor.

But I get stuck in the middle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you assuming about m and p, are they positive integers? If so, haven't you assumed q is rational?

StatusX - Thanks so much for the help. If the factor divides m^n, how do I show that it also divides m?

EnumaElish - I am assuming m and p are positive integers with no common factors. So yeah, I have assumed q is rational. I am trying to prove that it cannot be rational (unless k is an nth power).

I think you are close but going about it the wrong way. The easiest way to prove things like this is to assume the opposite.

Suppose q isn’t irrational or an integer.

This means that q can be written in the form of a/b where a and b are relatively prime integers and b is non zero and non 1.

So q = k^(1/n) = a/b.

But this means that k = a^n/b^n

But what did we assume? That a and b are relatively prime, and clearly if a and b are relatively prime so are a^n and b^n. But this means that a^n/b^n isn’t an integer. But we assumed that k is an integer. This leads us to a contradiction, hence our assumption is false. QED.

Now since I gave you a pretty solid outline of the proof, a good way to make sure you really understand it would be to go back and see if you can spot where I used every assumption. Where did I use the fact that a,b and n are integers, where did i use b isn't 1 or 0? etc.

Sorry, I deleted that post because it had a mistake. Just use the prime itself. That is, assume q is a prime factor of k whose power in k is not a multiple of n. Then q must divide m^n, and so clearly also m.

JohnF - Thanks, I think I understand better. That proof makes sense to me.

StatusX - I don't understand how q must divide m if it divides m^n.

Because it's a prime. Just think about it a little.

There seems to be more conditions required (q=4, m=n=2)

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction with a numerator and denominator that are both whole numbers.

2. What is a positive integer?

A positive integer is a whole number that is greater than zero. It can be expressed as a ratio of one to itself (e.g. 1/1) and is always a whole number.

3. How can you determine if a number is irrational?

A number is irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places. One way to determine if a number is irrational is by trying to express it as a fraction. If the fraction does not simplify to a whole number, then the number is irrational.

4. Are all irrational numbers also positive integers?

No, not all irrational numbers are positive integers. In fact, most irrational numbers are not positive integers. The set of irrational numbers is infinite, while the set of positive integers is finite.

5. Why are irrational numbers important in mathematics?

Irrational numbers are important in mathematics because they represent quantities that cannot be expressed as a fraction or ratio. They are essential in fields such as geometry, where they are used to represent precise measurements, and in calculus, where they are used to represent continuous functions and curves.