How to read/spell/pronounce/say math or physical calculus in English?

In summary: I don't say "ten to the power three" (but I do say "ten to the power of three"). I would say "ten to the negative thirty-fifth", or "ten to the minus thirty-fifth", but I can't imagine myself saying "ten to the negative thirty-fifth power" (though I might conceivably say "ten to the thirty-fifth power, negative" to avoid any possible ambiguity).In summary, the conversation revolved around a request for help with physics and math terminology, particularly in regards to how to pronounce certain symbols and equations. The conversation included discussions on how to read and say various equations, such as "eight point two three times ten to the
PseudoTensor
Hello all

I am nearing my graduation (physics) and consider myself fluent in general English. Although I had to dig through many books in English during the study I never actually had to verbally comunicate with another person about physics/maths calculus. After a chilling finding how poor in this aspect I am, I decided to ask for some help. So, can anyone please tell me some basics, or how to read next four examples:

http://shrani.si/f/q/jn/3YaIzBfr/mathphysics.jpg

I am more interested in the "quick" version (if there is one), which is to be used in the middle of the sentence, rather than a description.

I'd like to encourage anyone else whose native language is not English to post examples here.

Thanks in advance and appologies if this is not the appropriate forum.

Brgds, PT

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Eight point two three times ten to the neg thirty-five" or even "Eight point two three e minus thirty five"

"del a del b" and either "derivative of a (with respect to b)" or more often just "dee a dee b"

"pi squared over the fifth root of ninety"

"h-bar" is always the name for the first; the second would probably be called "lambda-bar" in like fashion. (lambda = LAM-duh, silent b in English)

CRGreathouse said:
"del a del b"

Actually, that would be "partial a partial b". Del implies a gradient, not a partial derivative.

Math Jeans said:
Actually, that would be "partial a partial b". Del implies a gradient, not a partial derivative.

You say it how you say it, and I'll say it how I say it. I've heard "partial a partial b" but only very rarely. I more often hear "nabla a nabla b" than "partial a partial b". In fact, come to think of it, I've even heard "dee a dee b" for the partial derivative of a w.r.t. b -- and not that infrequently.

CRGreathouse said:
"pi squared over the fifth root of ninety"
You mean "pi to the 6 over..."

CRGreathouse said:
You say it how you say it, and I'll say it how I say it. I've heard "partial a partial b" but only very rarely. I more often hear "nabla a nabla b" than "partial a partial b". In fact, come to think of it, I've even heard "dee a dee b" for the partial derivative of a w.r.t. b -- and not that infrequently.

I would say "dee a, dee b". However, I agree with the other poster: I've only ever heard "del" to mean "gradient."

As a born and bred English speaking scientist, I'd say...

1. eight point two three times ten to the minus thirty five.

2. dee aye by dee bee (for both -- or possibly: partial dee aye by dee bee, for the 1st).

3. pi to the six over the fifth root of ninety.

4. aich bar or lamdba bar.

Thanks a lot gentlemen, much appreciated!

CRGreathouse said:
You can say whatever you like but you'd be wrong:
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]
is the partial derivative of f with respect to x. Sometimes (sloppily in my opinion) read as "partial f partial x".

[tex]\nabla f[/tex]
is the gradient of f or "del f" or "nabla f".

HallsofIvy said:
You can say whatever you like but you'd be wrong:

I understand the differences between gradient and partial. But between the fact that I usually hear it said that way, and the fact that the partial symbol [itex]\partial[/itex] resembles a reversed delta [itex]\delta[/itex] it seems a lost cause.

Frankly I rarely discuss analysis aloud with others, as my interests tend more toward number theory.

With the symbol [tex]\frac{\partial a}{\partial b}[/tex], you'll get a lot of disagreement. I've never seen a standard name for it, but many people call the [tex]\partial[/tex] symbol del, or just partial, which, despite the informality, I find is more accurate and leaves out any confusion since the symbol isn't actually called a del.

As people have pointed out, del refers to [tex]\nabla[/tex], which is also named nabla (meaning harp), though I more often hear it called by exact usage since it can be the symbol for curl, divergence, gradient, laplacian, etc

Another pronunciation of the symbols [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x}[/tex] is partial by partial x and dee by dee x or sometimes you'll hear partial over partial x and dee over dee x. Basically, there are a lot of words you can stick in there and have it make sense. The most common ones are over, by and of. Sometimes, this can get a little confusing because you'll hear something like "dee of dee x of f" meaning [tex]\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x}f[/tex]

I don't know if this is an American thing or not but for that first one I would say "Eight point two three times ten to the negative thirty fifth" Saying "ten to the negative thirty five" is weird to me.

You wouldn't say "Ten to the three power", You would say "ten to the third power" , right?

But again maybe this is an american thing, you strange Europeans always say Maths as opposed to just math.

Diffy said:
I don't know if this is an American thing or not but for that first one I would say "Eight point two three times ten to the negative thirty fifth" Saying "ten to the negative thirty five" is weird to me.

You wouldn't say "Ten to the three power", You would say "ten to the third power" , right?

But again maybe this is an american thing, you strange Europeans always say Maths as opposed to just math.

I'm American, but I grew up in Europe. (Wales, though, not the Continent itself.) I sound American (in particular, almost precisely what linguists call General American), not the Queen's English.

I do say "Ten cubed", "ten to the third power", "ten to the power of three", or simply "ten to the three". I don't say "ten to the three power" or "ten to the power of third". I sometimes say "ten to the third".

Actually I thought the contentious item would be my use of "negative" rather than "minus". I always say "negative three" rather than "minus three" though I hear the latter more often than the former.

Just out of curiosity can you explain the Math vs Maths thing?

Diffy said:
Just out of curiosity can you explain the Math vs Maths thing?

There's really nothing to explain: they are just two different ways of shortening a word. Americans do this: mathematics -> math' whereas Europeans (or at least British) do this: mathematics -> math's. (Techincally, I suppose we should always write the apostrophes, but no one does).

What is the correct way to read mathematical equations in English?

The correct way to read mathematical equations in English is to read them symbol by symbol, starting with the leftmost symbol and moving to the right. Numbers should be read as they appear, while symbols such as +, -, x, and ÷ should be read as "plus," "minus," "times," and "divided by," respectively.

How do I spell mathematical terms correctly in English?

The spelling of mathematical terms in English can be tricky, as they often have Greek or Latin origins. The best way to ensure correct spelling is to consult a dictionary or search for the term online. It may also be helpful to break the word down into smaller parts and sound them out individually.

How do I pronounce mathematical symbols and equations in English?

Pronouncing mathematical symbols and equations in English can be challenging, as some symbols have different pronunciations depending on the context. However, as a general rule, symbols should be pronounced as they are read (e.g. x^2 should be pronounced as "x squared"). It may also be helpful to listen to audio recordings or watch videos of mathematicians speaking to learn proper pronunciation.

What is the correct way to say equations and formulas in English?

The correct way to say equations and formulas in English is to use the word "equals" for the = symbol, and to read the entire equation or formula in the same manner as reading individual symbols. For example, 2x + 3 = 7 should be read as "two x plus three equals seven."

Are there any tips for reading and understanding mathematical terms in English?

Yes, there are several tips for reading and understanding mathematical terms in English. It may be helpful to break down complex terms into smaller parts and understand the meaning of each part individually. It is also important to practice reading and speaking mathematical terms regularly to improve fluency and understanding. Additionally, using visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, can also help in understanding and explaining mathematical concepts.