Need advice on Numerical Methods Book

In summary, there are two numerical methods books to choose from: "Numerical Methods for Engineering Application, 2E" by Joel H. Ferziger and "Numerical Methods, 3E" by J. Douglas Faires and Richard L. Burden. The first book focuses more on applications while the second book has more theoretical content. The first book is based on notes from a class taught by Ferziger and is more of a summary of techniques with references for further details.
tomcenjerrym
I need 1 of the following 2 Numerical Methods books.

Can anyone advice me which one do you think is best?

Numerical Methods for Engineering Application, 2E
Joel H. Ferziger
ISBN 0471116211
John Wiley & Sons

Numerical Methods, 3E
J. Douglas Faires, Richard L. Burden
ISBN 0534407617
Brooks Cole

Many thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have used Faires and Burden and it is good. I don't know the other book but I notice "for Engineering Application" in the title. That, I suspect, will not have the theory that Faires and Burden does but more applications.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know the other book but I notice "for Engineering Application" in the title. That, I suspect, will not have the theory that Faires and Burden does but more applications.

Correct. I have the book and it is more of a summary of techniques that points to other sources for details. I like it because I took a class in Numerical Methods from Ferziger and the notes he used in the class were the basis for his book.

1. What is the best book for learning numerical methods?

The best book for learning numerical methods will depend on your specific needs and level of expertise. However, some popular and highly recommended books include "Numerical Methods: Design, Analysis, and Computer Implementation of Algorithms" by Anne Greenbaum and Timothy P. Chartier, "Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing" by William H. Press et al., and "An Introduction to Numerical Analysis" by Kendall E. Atkinson.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand numerical methods?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for understanding numerical methods. Many books on the subject provide clear and concise explanations that are accessible to readers with different levels of mathematical knowledge. Some books also include introductory chapters on relevant mathematical concepts.

3. How can I choose the right numerical methods book for my needs?

When choosing a numerical methods book, consider your level of experience with the subject, the specific methods you are interested in learning, and the intended application of these methods. You may also want to read reviews and compare the contents of different books to find one that best suits your needs.

4. Are there any online resources or tutorials that can supplement a numerical methods book?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can supplement a numerical methods book. These include video lectures, interactive simulations, and coding examples. You can also find forums and discussion groups where you can ask questions and receive guidance from experts and other learners.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned from a numerical methods book in real-world problems?

To apply the concepts learned from a numerical methods book in real-world problems, you can practice solving numerical problems and coding exercises, and work on projects that involve the application of these methods. You can also seek out opportunities to collaborate with others in your field and participate in workshops and hackathons related to numerical methods.