Electrical energy dissipated in resistance of a wire

Maybe you made a mistake in your calculations or used the wrong values for resistance and circumference. It would be helpful to double check those values and try the calculations again.
osugirl10

Homework Statement

A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 10 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.70 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3 10-2 /m. What is the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire.

Homework Equations

Emf = -NAB/t
P = V(^2)/R
E = Pt

The Attempt at a Solution

I used The first equation to find emf... -.0489V
with that I plugged it into the second equation (for R I took my resistance per unit length times the circumference of my circle - pi*d)
so for my power I got .0489^2/.0207 = .1155
Then I thought I would just plug that number into the third equation
E = .1155w(.45s)
which would give me .052 J
but this isn't the right answer.
Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The method and numbers look okay to me.

What is electrical energy and how is it related to resistance in a wire?

Electrical energy refers to the energy that is generated and transferred by the flow of electric charges. Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric charges to flow through a material. Therefore, the amount of electrical energy dissipated in a wire is directly related to its resistance.

How is the electrical energy dissipated in a wire calculated?

The electrical energy dissipated in a wire can be calculated using the formula E = I^2 * R * t, where E is the energy dissipated in joules, I is the current in amperes, R is the resistance in ohms, and t is the time in seconds.

What factors affect the amount of electrical energy dissipated in a wire?

The amount of electrical energy dissipated in a wire is affected by the resistance of the wire, the current flowing through the wire, and the duration of time the current is flowing. Other factors such as the temperature and material of the wire can also play a role in the dissipation of electrical energy.

How can the amount of electrical energy dissipated in a wire be reduced?

The amount of electrical energy dissipated in a wire can be reduced by using a wire with lower resistance, reducing the current flowing through the wire, and limiting the duration of time the current is flowing. Using materials with higher conductivity and keeping the wire at a lower temperature can also help to reduce energy dissipation.

What are some practical applications of understanding electrical energy dissipation in wires?

Understanding electrical energy dissipation in wires is important in designing and maintaining electrical systems. It can help to prevent overheating and damage to wires, as well as ensure the efficient use of electricity. This knowledge is also crucial in fields such as electronics, power generation, and transportation.