Valves: Principles & Operation of Heart & Reed Valves

• Thread starter Samwel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valves
In summary, the conversation is about valves and the speaker is looking for information on how valves work, specifically mechanical valves like reed valves or heart valves. They are curious about the physical principles behind their function and what prevents backflow of liquid or gas. It is mentioned that heart valves are similar to "duckbill" valves and work as a trap-door, only allowing flow in one direction. The other participant mentions that in plumbing, this type of valve is called a "check valve." The speaker expresses gratitude for the explanation.
Samwel
Hello to everybody!

I would like to find out how valves work but I can`t find detailed information through Google.
Could you tell me on what physical principles their work is based on? Most of all, I`m interested in heart valves or their analogs - reed valves. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Valves? Lots of different kinds of valves, do you mean vacuum tubes or solenoids? Or what?

Do you mean energy conversions like headloss or do you want mechanical construction? What kind of valves?

I mean mechanical valves, especially, reed valves or heart valves. Why do they work so that the liquid or gas flow only in one direction? What prevents the backflow of liquid?

If you look at a picture of a heart valve, it's pretty self-explanatory.

- Warren

Heart valves are pretty simple, similar in concept to a "duckbill" valve.

Samwel said:
I mean mechanical valves, especially, reed valves or heart valves. Why do they work so that the liquid or gas flow only in one direction? What prevents the backflow of liquid?

Samwell it's just a trap-door.

You can easily push it open from one side,
but you can't do the same from the other side.

i.e. It only pushes open from one side.

Thank you very much guys for explanation!

1. What are the different types of heart valves?

There are four main types of heart valves: aortic, mitral, pulmonary, and tricuspid. These valves are responsible for controlling the flow of blood through the heart and into the rest of the body.

2. How do heart valves work?

Heart valves work by opening and closing in response to changes in pressure and blood flow. They open to allow blood to flow through and close to prevent backflow of blood. This process is repeated with each heartbeat.

3. What are some common problems with heart valves?

Some common problems with heart valves include stenosis (narrowing), regurgitation (leaking), and prolapse (bulging). These issues can affect the proper functioning of the valve and may require medical intervention.

4. How are heart valve problems treated?

The treatment for heart valve problems depends on the severity and type of issue. Some cases may require medication to manage symptoms, while others may require surgery to repair or replace the damaged valve.

5. Can heart valve problems be prevented?

In some cases, heart valve problems can be prevented by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and managing underlying conditions such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol. However, some valve issues may be caused by congenital defects or other factors that cannot be prevented.