Magnet near a magnetic black hole

In summary, the magnetic field line will be completed if it has to pass through a "magnetic" black hole. However, the differential form of Maxwell's law does not hold if there are other magnetic material nearby.
rsr_life
Magnet near a "magnetic" black hole

Hi,

If I were to bring a magnet (just 1 mm long) close to a hypothetical "magnetic" black hole - something that has such an incredibly high permeability that it draws all the magnetic field lines from the magnet's pole toward it - and if this latter object were to extend several miles long and terminate abruptly and assuming no other object nearby, will the magnetic field still terminate at the other pole of the original magnet? (Before you say "Yes, the divergence law", consider the thought experiment below).

(I started looking at this at the micro level where there is no clear "north" pole and things aren't too clear to me.) I then assumed, at the simplest level, an electron (just 1) moving along a circular wire (copper atoms strung in line). When it moves, it "creates" a magnetic field around the wire at that point. If the magnetic black hole were placed near this wire, such that the field line(s?) at that point had to go through the black hole, would the field line still complete the loop?

How fundamental is Maxwell's law? Does it work all the way down to this level? I know that the differential form of Maxwell's law doesn't hold if there are other magnetic material near the original source (interface conditions). Where else do Maxwell's laws break down?

How does the field line "know" after miles of the black hole, the path that completes the loop? In other words, where is the information "kept". What happens if the second black hole (with the wire-electron example) extends to infinity (say, like a real "gravity" black hole, that's just really tiny)?

Also, for people familiar with EM at the quantum level, magnetic field lines aren't really "lines" right? Isn't the magnetic field more like the gravitational field, if analogies go all the way, in terms of some kind of curvature of space or something equivalent?

I'm not very clear if the assumptions I'm making are right. Sometimes the assumptions themselves are wrong at some basic level- they don't apply at the micro-scale, making the entire problem paradoxical.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, to summarize my questions: 1. Does the divergence law hold at the micro-scale? 2. Will a magnetic field line be completed if it has to pass through a "magnetic" black hole? 3. How does the field line "know" where to go after passing through the black hole? 4. Are magnetic field lines really "lines" or are they more like some kind of curvature in space?Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for your questions and thoughts. First of all, I would like to clarify that there is no such thing as a "magnetic" black hole. Black holes are objects with such strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape from them. They do not have any specific magnetic properties, although they can interact with magnetic fields in their vicinity due to their immense gravitational pull.

Now, to address your thought experiment, let's consider a magnet near a black hole. The magnet has a north and south pole, and the magnetic field lines originate from the north pole and terminate at the south pole. When the magnet is brought close to the black hole, the magnetic field lines will still follow the same path and terminate at the south pole. This is because the black hole's immense gravitational pull does not affect the magnetic field lines themselves, but rather the objects that produce them.

Maxwell's laws, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, are fundamental and hold true at all scales. However, at the quantum level, the concept of magnetic field lines becomes more complicated. In quantum mechanics, the magnetic field is described as a vector field, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction at each point in space. This is different from the classical view of magnetic field lines as continuous curves.

As for your question about where the information is "kept" regarding the path of the magnetic field lines, it is important to remember that magnetic fields are not physical objects but rather a representation of the force that a magnetic object exerts on other objects. The information about the path of the field lines is simply a mathematical representation of this force.

In summary, while your thought experiment raises interesting questions, it is important to remember that black holes do not have any specific magnetic properties and that the behavior of magnetic fields is well-described by Maxwell's laws at all scales.

What is a magnetic black hole?

A magnetic black hole is a type of black hole that has a strong magnetic field. This magnetic field is generated by the rotating charged particles that surround the black hole.

How does a magnetic black hole affect nearby objects?

A magnetic black hole can affect nearby objects by exerting a strong force on charged particles, causing them to spiral towards the black hole. This can also create jets of high-energy particles that shoot out from the black hole's poles.

Can a magnet be pulled into a magnetic black hole?

No, a magnet cannot be pulled into a magnetic black hole. The magnetic field around a black hole is only strong enough to affect charged particles, not solid objects like magnets.

What are the potential dangers of a magnetic black hole?

A magnetic black hole can be dangerous for objects that come too close to it, as the strong magnetic field can disrupt and destroy them. It can also be dangerous for nearby stars, as the jets of high-energy particles can strip away their outer layers.

How can we study the effects of a magnet near a magnetic black hole?

We can study the effects of a magnet near a magnetic black hole by observing the behavior of charged particles in the black hole's vicinity. We can also use simulations and experiments to better understand the magnetic field and its impact on nearby objects.