Solving Wave Equations with a Wall - Reflection and Amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a traveling wave solution in the x direction with a given wavelength and amplitude. The question then asks about the impact of a wall being placed at x=0 and how it affects the form of the equation, as well as finding the amplitude and phase of the reflected wave. The conversation also provides a hint to draw a diagram and consider the frequency, amplitude, velocity, and phase of the reflected wave.
inferno_gogo

Homework Statement

We have waves propagating in the air. First part asks for a traveling wave solution in the x direction , given a wave length 2pi and amplitude 3m. I have obtained u(x,t) = 3 cos ( x - 345t). The question then asks what happens if a wall is placed at x=0, what is the form of u(x,t) including the reflect wave and incident wave. Also to find the amplitude and phase of the reflect wave given u(0,t) = 0.

Homework Equations

z(x,t)=Asin(ks-vt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have hit a wall. No idea how to proceed with the form of the equation. Once I get that, I am pretty sure I will manage to find the phase shift and amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
inferno_gogo said:
I have hit a wall.

:biggrin: Then you should reflect! :biggrin:

Hint: draw a diagram!

Draw the wave going through the wall as if it wasn't there.

Then turn one half of the wave round …

does it have the same frequency? the same amplitude? the same velocity? the same phase? :smile:

I understand the frustration of hitting a roadblock in problem solving. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find a solution together.

First, let's review the given information. We have a traveling wave solution in the x direction with a wavelength of 2pi and an amplitude of 3m. This can be represented as u(x,t) = 3 cos (x - 345t).

Now, let's consider what happens when a wall is placed at x=0. This wall will act as a boundary, causing the wave to reflect back in the opposite direction. This means that the reflected wave will have the same wavelength and amplitude, but will be traveling in the opposite direction.

To represent this in our equation, we can add a negative sign to the x term, indicating the change in direction. This would give us u(x,t) = 3 cos (-x - 345t).

Next, we need to consider the incident wave, which is the wave that is approaching the wall before it reflects. This can be represented as u(x,t) = 3 cos (x - 345t).

Now, to find the form of u(x,t) including the reflected and incident waves, we simply add the two equations together. This would give us u(x,t) = 3 cos (x - 345t) + 3 cos (-x - 345t).

To find the amplitude and phase of the reflected wave, we can use the given information that u(0,t) = 0. This means that at x=0, the total wave will be zero, indicating that the reflected wave must have the same amplitude and opposite phase as the incident wave.

Therefore, the amplitude of the reflected wave will also be 3m, and the phase will be shifted by pi. This can be represented as u(x,t) = 3 cos (x - 345t) - 3 cos (-x - 345t + pi).

I hope this helps you move forward with your solution. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller parts and use the given information to guide your steps. Good luck!

1. How do I solve a wave equation with a wall?

To solve a wave equation with a wall, you will need to use the boundary conditions at the wall to determine the amplitude and phase of the reflected wave. This can be done by setting up the wave equation and applying the appropriate boundary conditions.

2. What are the boundary conditions for a wave equation with a wall?

The boundary conditions for a wave equation with a wall include the continuity of the displacement and its derivative at the wall, as well as the impedance or boundary stiffness at the wall.

3. What is reflection in a wave equation with a wall?

Reflection in a wave equation with a wall occurs when a wave encounters a boundary and part of the wave is reflected back with a different amplitude and phase. This is due to the change in medium or boundary conditions at the wall.

4. How does the amplitude of a reflected wave change with distance from the wall?

The amplitude of a reflected wave decreases as it moves further away from the wall. This is due to the energy of the wave being dissipated or absorbed by the wall.

5. Can the amplitude of a reflected wave be controlled?

Yes, the amplitude of a reflected wave can be controlled by adjusting the boundary conditions at the wall. For example, changing the impedance or stiffness of the wall can change the amount of energy that is reflected back by the wall.