How to Play 3d Chess with a Checkers Education

In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of philosophy and psychology on our thoughts and actions, the importance of understanding these subjects in order to understand ourselves and the world, and the potential consequences of not being intellectually sophisticated enough to handle the power of technology. It also touches on the role of education in preparing individuals for this responsibility and the need for ethics in a society.
coberst
How to Play 3d Chess with a Checkers Education

Descartes’ legacy to all of us via philosophy can be labeled, I think, as rationalism (discovery of truth through pure reason), dichotomy (mind/body split), and certainty. Even though very few of us know anything about philosophy, almost everything we think results from the philosophy we inherit through social osmosis (unconscious assimilation). Philosophy theory permeates almost all of our mental gymnastics without our conscious recognition.

It appears to me that psychology would say that we are essentially creatures of desire rather than creatures of contemplation. A modern day Descartes, who was tuned into Freudian psychology, might very well conclude that “I desire, therefore, I am”.

If we want to understand our self and our world we will necessarily have to learn some bit of philosophy and psychology. We become interested in philosophy when we begin to ask questions that go to the ‘root’ of all matters and we turn to psychology if we want to comprehend why humans do the things we do.

Someone said that only one person in a hundred ever “strikes at the root”. I do not think a liberal democracy in a hi-tech world can survive if such remains to be true. Hi-tech gives us the ability to easily destroy our self and our world; liberal democracy makes all citizens to be sovereign and thus responsible in some small way for the integrity of our existence.

We are all in the same boat and if only one person in a hundred accepts the responsibility of democracy I think our species may have a very limited engagement on this planet. I think that we must become much more intellectually sophisticated than we are now and I do not expect that our educational systems can help us much in that effort. We must become independent learners.

Our educational system has not prepared us for controlling the great power inherent in this high tech world that we have created. Our schools and colleges have prepared us for checkers when our world has become a 3d chess game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Philosophy theory permeates almost all of our mental gymnastics without our conscious recognition.

If that were true we wouldn't be aware that it was true.

Our educational system has not prepared us for controlling the great power inherent in this high tech world that we have created. Our schools and colleges have prepared us for checkers when our world has become a 3d chess game.

If that were the issue, all we would need to do is ditch the philosophy and psychology courses and have everyone major in computer science :smile:

I don't think the issue with liberal democracy has much to do with the evil computer, but rather the lack of ethics being taught to people in school (philosophy more so than psychology does indeed have a role to play in this). The idea of "doing something that is right" has been replaced by "get what you want by any means necessary." As Einstein said, the most important people in a society are "nice people." The world needs a lot more of those, not more intellectually sophisticated jerks (not to imply that all intellectually sophisticated people are jerks...just that intellectual sophistication doesn't necessarily determine the value of a person to a society).

I would like to provide a response to the idea of playing 3d chess with a checkers education. Firstly, I agree that our education system may not have fully prepared us for the challenges of a rapidly advancing high-tech world. However, I believe that philosophy and psychology are not the only fields that can help us understand and navigate this world. I believe that the fields of science and technology are also crucial in understanding and making sense of our world.

In terms of playing 3d chess with a checkers education, I would argue that a checkers education is not necessarily a disadvantage. It may provide a strong foundation and basic understanding of concepts and principles that can be applied to more complex situations. However, in order to play 3d chess, we must also be willing to learn and adapt to new strategies and approaches.

Furthermore, I do not believe that only one person in a hundred has the ability to think critically and strike at the root of issues. I have seen countless individuals who possess the skills and drive to understand complex problems and come up with innovative solutions. It is true that we must all take responsibility for our actions and the impact they have on our world, but I do not think that a lack of intellectual sophistication is the main barrier to achieving this.

In terms of education, I do agree that we must become independent learners and continue to educate ourselves throughout our lives. However, I also believe that our educational systems can play a crucial role in fostering critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and adaptability. It is up to us as individuals to take advantage of the opportunities and resources available to us.

In conclusion, while I agree that philosophy and psychology can provide valuable insights, I believe that science and technology also have a role to play in helping us understand and navigate our high-tech world. A checkers education may provide a strong foundation, but it is our willingness to learn and adapt that will ultimately determine our success in playing 3d chess. And while it is important to become independent learners, our educational systems can also play a crucial role in preparing us for the challenges ahead.

1. How is 3d chess different from traditional chess?

3d chess is played on a 3-dimensional board, with three levels of 8x8 squares stacked on top of each other. This adds an extra layer of complexity and strategy to the game.

2. Do I need to know how to play checkers in order to play 3d chess?

No, knowledge of checkers is not necessary to play 3d chess. However, having a basic understanding of checkers can help with the concept of stacking pieces and moving in different directions on the board.

3. What skills does playing 3d chess with a checkers education develop?

Playing 3d chess with a checkers education can help develop critical thinking skills, spatial awareness, and strategic planning abilities. It also encourages players to think outside of the traditional rules of chess and explore new strategies.

4. How do I set up the board for a game of 3d chess with a checkers education?

The board is set up with three levels of 8x8 squares stacked on top of each other. The bottom and top level are both traditional chess boards, while the middle level is a checkers board. Pieces are placed on the board as they would be in a game of traditional chess.

5. Is 3d chess with a checkers education suitable for all ages?

Yes, anyone can learn and enjoy playing 3d chess with a checkers education. It can be a fun and challenging game for both children and adults, and it is a great way to exercise the brain and improve cognitive skills.