Light scattering (rayleigh scattering)

In summary, the question asks for the wavelength of light where the scattering is only 2.00% of the visible light with a wavelength of 520nm. The intensity of scattered light is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the wavelength. Using the equation I(520)/I(IR)=(Lamda/520nm)^4=200, the wavelength of the IR light is approximately 1960nm. The confusion about the number 100 in the solution is because it represents 1% in the ratio of intensities. Remembering that 1%=1/100 solved the issue.
spaghed87

Homework Statement

For what wavelength of light is the scattering only 2.00% that of light with a visible wavelength of 520nm?

NOTE: The intensity of scattered light is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the wavelength.

Homework Equations

I(light)/I(IR)=(wavelength of IR / wavelength of light)^4=200

The Attempt at a Solution

I(520)/I(IR)=(Lamda/520nm)^4=200

Where, Lamda is equal to the wavelength of the IR light.

Lamda is ~1960nm (this answer seems to be wrong, why? Do you see an error anywhere? This is going to be how you solve it so the error shouldn't be that big or that a different equation is needed. I know I'm on the right track.)

Physics news on Phys.org
An elementary mistake: 2% has nothing to do with 200.

well, according to this solution.

http://www.mscd.edu/~physics/denn/solutions/Ch23/EOC_Solution_23_25.pdf

They used 100 for 1%?

This is the same problem except they are working with a scattering of 1.00% and a wavelength of 500nm.

100 is what the ratio of the intensities is equal to. However, I cannot see where the number 100 is coming from in the solution to the similair problem. They did not specify in the solution. Does the number 100 relate to 1% at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as in 1%=1/100.

Thanks, I see now. I've passed differential equations even... I have always got stumped on simple mathmatical things like percentages though. For some reason my brain was thinking just to double the value of 100 for 2%. I do stupid stuff like that all the time. =(

You're welcome :-)

1. What is light scattering?

Light scattering is the phenomenon in which light is redirected or dispersed in different directions as it passes through a medium. This can be caused by particles or structures in the medium that interact with the light.

2. What is Rayleigh scattering?

Rayleigh scattering is a specific type of light scattering that occurs when the particles or structures in the medium are much smaller than the wavelength of the light. This type of scattering is responsible for the blue color of the sky and the red color of sunsets.

3. How does light scattering affect visibility?

Light scattering can significantly impact visibility by reducing the amount of light that reaches the observer's eye. This can make objects appear less distinct or even invisible in extreme cases. Light scattering is a major factor in atmospheric haze and fog.

4. What are some real-world applications of light scattering?

Light scattering has many practical applications, including in meteorology for studying atmospheric conditions, in astronomy for measuring the composition of celestial objects, and in biophysics for studying the structure of cells and tissues.

5. How is light scattering related to particle size?

The amount of light scattering that occurs is dependent on the size of the particles or structures in the medium. Smaller particles tend to cause more scattering, while larger particles may cause less scattering or even absorb the light. This relationship is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of light in different mediums.