Complex Solutions: Question About Roots and Angles

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the complex solutions for the equation z^2 = 1e^(j)(pie) can be expressed as z = 1e^(j)(pie/2) or z = 1e^(j)(3pie/2), with k=0 or k=1. Both sets of angles, -pi/2 and 3pi/2, are correct solutions as the complex exponential is periodic with a period of 2pi. Therefore, on an exam, either set of angles can be written as a correct solution.
salman213
1. Hi I posted a previous question on this forum and it was answered well but I had another question about complex solutions/roots.

for example if i have a question like

z^2 = 1e^(j)(pie)

z = 1e^(j)(pie + 2kpie)^1/2 k =0,1

1. z = 1e^(j)(pie/2 ) = 0 + j
2. z = 1e^(j)(3pie/2) = 0 - j

if I test these solutions (0+j)(0+j) = -1 , (0 - j)(0 - j) = -1

they are correct but my question is are those angles correct?

another way to solve that question seems to be

z^2 = 1e^(j)(-pie)

z = 1e^(j)(-pie + 2kpie)^1/2 k =0,1

1. z = 1e^(j)(-pie/2 ) = 0 - j
2. z = 1e^(j)(pie/2) = 0 + j

if i go backwards

0 + j = 1e^(j)(-pie/2 ) and 0 - j = 1e^(j)(pie/2)so which angles are correct?

Like on an exam I don`t really know which angles I would write!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both angles are correct; the complex exponential is periodic with period 2pi, so if you add 2pi to your angle of -pi/2, you get the same value for the exponential

i.e. [tex]e^{j\frac{-\pi}{2}}=e^{j\left(\frac{-\pi}{2}+2\pi\right)}=e^{j\frac{3\pi}{2}}=-j[/tex]

1. What are complex solutions?

Complex solutions are solutions to an equation that involve imaginary numbers. They are typically expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you find complex solutions?

To find complex solutions, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. If the equation cannot be factored, the quadratic formula can be used to find the complex solutions.

3. What does it mean when there are no real solutions?

If there are no real solutions, it means that the solutions to the equation involve imaginary numbers. This is typically the case when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is less than 0.

4. How do you represent complex solutions on a graph?

Complex solutions can be represented on a complex plane, where the real numbers are on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers are on the vertical axis. The solutions can be plotted as points on this plane.

5. What is the relationship between complex solutions and roots?

Complex solutions and roots are essentially the same thing. The solutions to an equation can be considered the roots of that equation. However, complex solutions involve imaginary numbers, while real solutions involve only real numbers.