Buying my first scope (need some help)

• Thread starter LucasJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scope
In summary, a beginner should get cheap binoculars to get started with astronomy. A telescope should be bought only after talking to other amateurs and trying out a few to see what is good for the person. Climate does not seem to make a big difference when it comes to telescopes. For a beginner, a telescope should be around $500.
LucasJ
I'm off to college next fall (possibly delaying another year depending on costs) to study Astronomy and would like to buy a telescope to start familiarizing myself with the night sky (and just generally stargazing, which I enjoy). I've looked through some of the similar topics on these forums but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Ideally, I would like to spend around $500. I could possibly convince myself to go higher than that if it would be worth it, but that's my target number for now.

Being a complete beginner, I'm not sure what makes a good scope, so when I look at the size of the aperture and the focal length, I'm really not sure what would be good.

Does climate make a difference when it comes to telescopes? I live in Fargo, ND, so this time of year it's very, very cold (though I'm going to be moving to Colorado come spring).

Can anyone recommend some good telescopes for me?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi LucasJ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
LucasJ said:
I'm off to college next fall (possibly delaying another year depending on costs) to study Astronomy and would like to buy a telescope to start familiarizing myself with the night sky (and just generally stargazing, which I enjoy).

To familiarize yourself with the night sky, and for general stargazing, just get cheap binoculars …

there's a lot of sky out there, and using a telescope to familiarize yourself with it would be like using a microscope to familiarize yourself with a map :wink:

and … they're what comet-hunters use! :smile:

Do NOT buy a 'scope until you have had a chance to talk to other amateurs, and attend a few viewing sessions so you can see what other people are using. If you can attend star-parties with a club, be sure to get there early, so you can see what other people have to do to pack and transport their instruments. This is really important, especially since you're going to be moving, and may have space limitations. You have what appears to be an active astronomy club in your area, so plan on attending a few meetings. Some astronomers are real gear-hounds, and they're always looking to buy/sell/trade, and you might find a great deal on a used scope that way - best of all, you get to try it out first! Good luck.

http://www.fmastronomy.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a set of binoculars are more than amply to familiarize your self with the sky.

Check with local astronomy clubs and talk with them. I am sure they will be more than happy to advise you.

This being the IYA (International Year of Astronomy) many organizations have events planned, such as amateur astronomers holding observing sessions and talks at libraries, shopping malls schools and such.
Excellent opportunity to look through scopes and binoculars, also talk with the people involved.

Link to Fargo Astronomy Club;
http://www.fmastronomy.com/

Link to Astronomy Clubs in Colorado;
http://www.astronomyclubs.com/1/190/8/0/club.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
A star chart and small binoculars are a great way to start out. Learn the names of the bright stars and constellations. Find the planets. You'll be amazed at the number of (non-stellar) objects you can see without a telescope.

Thanks all. I had heard the binoculars suggestion a few times before (before I was really considering buying either). My main reason for wanting to buy the telescope was mainly financial, since I have a good job at the moment and can afford it. Not sure where I'll be financially once I move and start attending classes.

When looking for binoculars, are there specific types more suited for this, or will any pair generally work?

The FM Astronomy club looks inactive right now, but I'll keep checking back on that.

Again, thanks for all the info so far.

I have a set of old Nikon 7x50s, and they are about as much as you want to hand-hold for long sessions. It can help to slide into a sleeping bag on a reclining patio chair (stay warm and avoid cricks in the neck) when viewing near the zenith. No matter what other optical aid I use, the binoculars are always with me.

Same here, I have 7x50 and 10x50 both Bushnell

Both pair work well. However, with the 10x50, I have slightly modified an old camera tripod as a mount. I find the field of view is narrow enough that it is difficult to hold them steady enough for good observing.
When they are on the mount, ‘no problem’.

Image stabilized are available, but I don’t know that the extra price, which can be substantial, is really worth it.

The 7x50 give quite a good view and I have no problem with fields of view.

I picked up these old Nikons many years back at LL Bean for $65. Nothing wrong with them - they were being discontinued. My advice with binoculars is to buy an entry-level model from the best maker you can afford. The quality of the surfacing, coatings, etc, often extend into their lower-cost models, and you don't really need rubber-armored, waterproof, (etc) binos when you're taking them out on clear, dry nights to look at the heavens.

Thanks a lot everyone! This has been a big help.

If you can afford them, Canon image stabilizer binoculars are pretty much the ultimate low-mag astronomy tools. I have a 15x50, you can probably find one used for around $500. Under a dark sky, they're really spectacular - I use them far more often than my 7" reflector telescope, which is great for viewing planet features but is otherwise a pain to set up and impractical for bringing to sites other than my back yard.

What should I consider before buying my first scope?

Before purchasing your first scope, there are a few key factors to consider. First, think about what you will primarily use the scope for - whether it be stargazing, birdwatching, or hunting. This will help determine the necessary magnification and features. Next, consider your budget and the quality of the scope you are looking for. Finally, think about the size and weight of the scope, as well as its durability and ease of use.

What is the difference between refractor and reflector scopes?

Refractor scopes use lenses to gather and focus light, while reflector scopes use mirrors. Refractor scopes tend to have better image quality but can be more expensive, while reflector scopes are typically more affordable and better for observing faint objects in the sky.

What is the ideal aperture size for a beginner scope?

The aperture size, or the diameter of the objective lens or mirror, is an important factor in determining the clarity and brightness of images. For a beginner scope, an aperture size of 70mm to 80mm is recommended. This will provide a good balance between portability and image quality.

What accessories do I need to purchase with my first scope?

There are a few essential accessories to consider when purchasing your first scope. A sturdy tripod is necessary for stability, as well as a finder scope to help with aiming. You may also want to invest in additional eyepieces for different levels of magnification, and a carrying case for transport and storage.

Is it better to buy a telescope online or in-store?

There are pros and cons to both options. Buying online may offer a wider selection and potentially lower prices, but you won't be able to physically see and test the scope before purchasing. Buying in-store allows you to see the scope in person and potentially receive guidance from knowledgeable staff, but the selection may be more limited and prices may be higher. Ultimately, it depends on your personal preference and comfort level with the purchasing process.