Upper/Lower Bounds Homework: Solving (a), (b), (c)

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounds
In summary, upper and lower bounds are mathematical concepts used to define the maximum and minimum possible values of a quantity or variable. To solve for upper and lower bounds, you will need to use the given information and apply mathematical operations. Finding upper and lower bounds is significant in many areas of science and mathematics, as it allows for more accurate predictions and decisions. An example of solving for upper and lower bounds would be finding the smallest and largest values in a given range. Tips for solving these problems include carefully reading and understanding the information, visualizing the problem, and checking the answer for accuracy.
roam

Homework Statement

Let S=P{2,3,4,6,7,8,14,28,42,98} and let p be the relation on S defined by a p b iff a|b. Then (S,p) is a poset.

(a) Find a subset of S which has no upper bound and no lower bound.
(b) Find the least upper bound for {3,7}
(c) Determine wether or not the subset {2,6,8} of S is totally ordered. Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) So, I drew a lattice diagram:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8835/72872757.gif

I think the set S'={7,3,8} qualifies as a subset of S which has no upper bound and no lower bound. Am I right?

(b) lub{3,7} = 7 ?

(c) I'm not sure how to answer this question. I think that a "total ordering" on a set means a partial order ~ on a set with the additional property that for any [tex]a,b \in S[/tex] we have a~b or b~a. Here in the subset {2,6,8} of S, 6 is devisible by 2, 6|2, also 8|2 but 6 isn't devisible by 8 or vice versa, so the set isn't totally ordered. Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi roam! :smile:
roam said:
Let S=P{2,3,4,6,7,8,14,28,42,98} and let p be the relation on S defined by a p b iff a|b. Then (S,p) is a poset.

(a) Find a subset of S which has no upper bound and no lower bound.
(b) Find the least upper bound for {3,7}
(c) Determine wether or not the subset {2,6,8} of S is totally ordered. Justify your answer.

(a) … I think the set S'={7,3,8} qualifies as a subset of S which has no upper bound and no lower bound. Am I right?

(b) lub{3,7} = 7 ?

(c) I'm not sure how to answer this question. I think that a "total ordering" on a set means a partial order ~ on a set with the additional property that for any [tex]a,b \in S[/tex] we have a~b or b~a. Here in the subset {2,6,8} of S, 6 is devisible by 2, 6|2, also 8|2 but 6 isn't devisible by 8 or vice versa, so the set isn't totally ordered. Is this correct?

(a) yes :smile:
(b) nooo :redface:
(c) yes :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(a) yes :smile:
(b) nooo :redface:
(c) yes :smile:

Hi Tiny tim!

I don't understand why my answer to part (b) is not correct, could you explain please? 3x7=21 which is not even in the bigger set, and the only (and hence smallest) upperbound is 7. :rolleyes:

Also for part (c), is my explanation correct/sufficient (because the question says you must justify the answer)?

How can 7 be the least upper bound if 3 isn't less than 7? You say 21 isn't in S, and that's fine... what numbers in S could be the least upper bound?

Hi roam! :wink:
roam said:
I don't understand why my answer to part (b) is not correct, could you explain please? 3x7=21 which is not even in the bigger set, and the only (and hence smallest) upperbound is 7. :rolleyes:

Office_Shredder :smile: is right … 3 does not divide 7 (ie, is not "less than" in the ordering), so how can 7 be the lub?
Also for part (c), is my explanation correct/sufficient (because the question says you must justify the answer)?

Yes … you've specifically said that "6 isn't divisible by 8 or vice versa", which itself shows that there is no total ordering … that's fine! :smile:

The set has no upper/lower bound since there is no order on the set, 3 & 7 aren't devisible. So is it just the empty set i.e. lub{3,7}= {[tex]\emptyset[/tex]}? :redface:

Tiny tim, there's another question that I'm confused about: "Find all maximal and minimal elements of S."
It says "elements", plural. But there's only one max and one min:
maxP{2,3,4,6,7,8,14,28,42,98}=98
minP{2,3,4,6,7,8,14,28,42,98}=2

(oh, and it's "divisible"! :wink:)
roam said:
The set has no upper/lower bound since there is no order on the set, 3 & 7 aren't devisible. So is it just the empty set i.e. lub{3,7}= {[tex]\emptyset[/tex]}? :redface:

Forget division … just look at that very good picture you drew … go up from 3 and 7, and where do you get? :smile:

(btw, lub has to be an element

if there's no lub, you just say so, you don't say it's the empty set. :wink:)

Tiny tim, there's another question that I'm confused about: "Find all maximal and minimal elements of S."
It says "elements", plural. But there's only one max and one min:
maxP{2,3,4,6,7,8,14,28,42,98}=98
minP{2,3,4,6,7,8,14,28,42,98}=2

I haven't come across this terminology before :redface:, but I assume maximal means any element that doesn't have anything "higher" …

again, you can just read this off the picture. :smile:

Thanks a lot Tiny tim, I get it! :wink:

Forget division … just look at that very good picture you drew … go up from 3 and 7, and where do you get?

lub=42

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

1. What are upper and lower bounds?

Upper and lower bounds are mathematical concepts used to define the maximum and minimum possible values of a quantity or variable. An upper bound is the smallest possible value that a variable can have, while a lower bound is the largest possible value.

2. How do I solve for upper and lower bounds?

To solve for upper and lower bounds, you will need to use the given information about the quantity or variable and apply the appropriate mathematical operations. For example, if you are given a range of numbers and asked to find the upper and lower bounds, you would need to determine the smallest and largest values in the range and these would be the lower and upper bounds, respectively.

3. What is the significance of finding upper and lower bounds?

Finding upper and lower bounds is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as statistics, optimization, and probability. It allows us to understand the limitations of our data and make more accurate predictions and decisions.

4. Can you give an example of solving for upper and lower bounds?

Sure, let's say you are given the following information: the average temperature in a city is between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. To find the upper and lower bounds for this temperature, you would take the smallest value (65) as the lower bound and the largest value (75) as the upper bound.

5. Are there any tips for solving upper and lower bounds problems?

One tip for solving upper and lower bounds problems is to carefully read and understand the given information before attempting to solve. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or make a list of the given values to better visualize the problem. Additionally, checking your answer by plugging it back into the problem can ensure that you have solved correctly.