Calculate RPM of 100m Diameter Space Habitat for Simulated Gravity

• Thread starter galoshes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the spin rate in RPM for a donut-shaped space habitat with a diameter of 100m in order to simulate Earth's gravity. It involves using the formula for centripetal acceleration and rotational kinematics, as well as a conversion factor for radians and revolutions. The conversation also clarifies some misconceptions and terminology related to this topic.
galoshes
So i was presented this question and I would not even like the answer but just the path to walk on. Can you help?

In order to simulate the Earth gravity on a space habitat of 100m diameter, what spin rate of a donut-shape space habitat, in terms of RPM, should be.

conversion of RPM is 2(pi)/60 radians/sec

where do I even begin?

I have read that a station 2km in diameter would spin at 1 RPM to simulate a confortable earth-like gravity. Just in my head I came up with the answer of 20 RPMs for a station 100m in diameter, but I have to show my work and explain the theory behind it, but I'm just going on intuition.

Is there hope for me?

Oh yea, I have to hand this in, in three hours and it's the only question out of thirty that I don't even know where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Centripetal force due to spinning = mrw^2
m = mass
r = radius
w = angular velocity (rad/sec)

Force we experience due to gravity = mg
m = mass
g is acceleration

from them: g = rw^2
this will give you the required angular velocity of the spinning station

galoshes said:
So i was presented this question and I would not even like the answer but just the path to walk on. Can you help?

In order to simulate the Earth gravity on a space habitat of 100m diameter, what spin rate of a donut-shape space habitat, in terms of RPM, should be.

conversion of RPM is 2(pi)/60 radians/sec

where do I even begin?
Consider centripetal acceleration.

I have read that a station 2km in diameter would spin at 1 RPM to simulate a confortable earth-like gravity. Just in my head I came up with the answer of 20 RPMs for a station 100m in diameter, but I have to show my work and explain the theory behind it, but I'm just going on intuition.

Is there hope for me?
There is always hope. You can't just 'come up' with stuff in physics. It doesn't work that way. Anyways, your intuition is wrong.

Last edited:
thanks for your response. I am confused because I wasn't given the mass of the station just the diameter, so how do I get the centripetal acceleration without mass? I am especially confused because I don't know what to do with 2(pi)/60 rad/sec. I could work with the 60 rad/sec but the 2(pi) is killin me

thanks again

galoshes said:
thanks for your response. I am confused because I wasn't given the mass of the station just the diameter, so how do I get the centripetal acceleration without mass? I am especially confused because I don't know what to do with 2(pi)/60 rad/sec. I could work with the 60 rad/sec but the 2(pi) is killin me
The centripetal acceleration is given by [itex]v^2/R[/itex] where v is the tangential velocity and R is the radius. You don't need mass. Then use rotational kinematics to get the rpms.

If a particle travels along a circle or circular arc with radius r at constant speed v, it is in uniform circular motion and has an acceleration of magnitude

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

This is directed radially inward. Since [itex]s = \theta r[/itex], differentiating with respect to time with r held constant yields [itex]v = \omega r[/itex]. Substituting this into the equation for acceleration above yields:

[tex]a_r = \frac{\omega^2 r^2}{r} = \omega^2 r[/tex]

where the subscript r is to emphasize that this is a radial acceleration and not a tangential one.

I believe you can use this to find the velocity you are looking for, since you know you want the acceleration to be equal to g and the radius to be equal to 50.0 meters.

The [itex]2\pi / 60[/itex] is a conversion factor for converting between revolutions per minute and radians per second. In general, many of the rules we use to work with angular measures rely on derivations that hold only for radian measure, and as such, it's a good idea to convert to radians before performing any calculations with them.

radians = revolutions X [itex]2\pi[/itex]

Ok so maybe I do want ya'll to do this for me because I have no idea what to do with any of the information given because I get .55 RPM and I know that is WAY off

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{a_r}{r}} = \omega[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{9.8 m/s^2}{50.0 m}} = .4427 ~rad/s = \omega[/tex]

[tex]\frac{.4427 ~rad}{s} \cdot \frac{60 ~s}{1 ~min} \cdot \frac{1 ~rev}{2\pi ~rad} = 4.23 ~RPM[/tex]

Hopefully someone will double-check that.

thanks a million

RE: "Centripetal force due to spinning = mrw^2"

Spinning doesn't cause a force. And the centripetal force is not an actual force that acts on the object. It is the vector sum of all forces that act in the radial direction.

RE: "...where the subscript r is to emphasize that this is a radial acceleration and not a tangential one."

Glad that someone else has dropped the term "centripetal." :)

1. How do you calculate the RPM of a space habitat?

To calculate the RPM (revolutions per minute) of a space habitat for simulated gravity, you can use the formula RPM = √(g / r), where g is the desired acceleration due to gravity and r is the radius of the habitat in meters. This formula assumes that the habitat is rotating at a constant speed and that the force of gravity is equal to the centripetal force acting on the inhabitants.

2. What is the ideal RPM for a 100m diameter space habitat?

The ideal RPM for a 100m diameter space habitat will depend on the desired acceleration due to gravity. For example, if you want the habitat to simulate Earth's gravity (9.8 m/s²), then the RPM would be √(9.8 / (100/2)) = √(0.196) = 0.443 revolutions per minute.

3. Can the RPM of a space habitat be changed?

Yes, the RPM of a space habitat can be changed by adjusting the speed of rotation. This can be achieved by using motors or thrusters to increase or decrease the rotational speed. However, it is important to consider the potential effects on the inhabitants and the structural integrity of the habitat before making any changes to the RPM.

4. How does the RPM affect the simulated gravity in a space habitat?

The RPM of a space habitat directly affects the simulated gravity experienced by the inhabitants. A higher RPM will result in a higher centrifugal force and therefore a higher simulated gravity. Conversely, a lower RPM will result in a lower simulated gravity. It is important to carefully calculate and maintain the RPM in order to provide a safe and comfortable environment for the inhabitants.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the RPM of a space habitat?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the RPM of a space habitat. These include the mass and distribution of mass within the habitat, the shape and design of the habitat, and the altitude and speed of the habitat in orbit. These factors can all impact the centrifugal force and therefore the RPM needed to achieve the desired simulated gravity.