Homework help finding fraction of initial mass of rocket and fuel

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasonable top speed of rockets in deep space and the fraction of initial mass that is not fuel in order to reach a speed of 1.00x10^-3 c. The equations v=v(ex)ln(m/m0) and v1=1100ln(m/m0) are mentioned, and there is a mention of difficulty finding the final velocity.
gadabout1018

Homework Statement

Obviously, we can make rockets to go very fast, but what is a reasonable top speed? Assume that a rocket is fired from rest at a space station in deep space, where gravity is negligible.

If the rocket ejects gas at a relative speed of 1100 and you want the rocket's speed eventually to be 1.00×10−3 c, where c is the speed of light, what fraction of the initial mass of the rocket and fuel is not fuel

Homework Equations

v=v(ex)ln(m/m0)
v1=1100lm(m/m0)

The Attempt at a Solution

i think I am having trouble finding the final velocity. I did another poblem were the final velocity was 4000 m/s and i got it correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The final velocity is 1.00×10−3 c.

that is what i thought but when i try in on mastering physics i get in incorrect

Try e100 then e200 and you will see why.

What is the initial mass of the rocket and fuel?

The initial mass of the rocket and fuel is the total mass of the entire rocket and all the fuel it contains before any of it is burned or used.

How do you find the fraction of the initial mass of rocket and fuel?

To find the fraction of the initial mass of the rocket and fuel, you need to divide the mass of the fuel by the initial mass of the entire rocket and fuel. This will give you a decimal number, which can then be expressed as a percentage by multiplying by 100.

Why is it important to calculate the fraction of the initial mass of rocket and fuel?

Calculating the fraction of the initial mass of the rocket and fuel is important because it allows us to understand how much of the initial mass is being used as fuel and how much is left for the rocket to continue its journey. This information is crucial for determining the efficiency and success of the rocket's launch.

What factors can affect the fraction of the initial mass of rocket and fuel?

The fraction of the initial mass of the rocket and fuel can be affected by several factors such as the type of fuel used, the design and efficiency of the rocket, and external forces such as air resistance. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of fuel needed for the rocket to reach its destination.

How does the fraction of the initial mass of rocket and fuel impact space travel?

The fraction of the initial mass of the rocket and fuel has a significant impact on space travel as it directly affects the amount of fuel needed for a successful launch. With advancements in technology and the development of more efficient rockets, scientists are constantly trying to reduce this fraction to make space travel more cost-effective and sustainable.