Looking for the author of this quote

• Thread starter bndnchrs
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is about a quote that the speaker wants to use, but is unsure about the wording and who said it. It is a famous quote that is often drilled into the heads of graduate students and is known as Wheeler's first moral principle. The quote advises not to start a problem unless you know the answer in advance. The speaker also expresses gratitude to the other participants for their help in identifying the quote.
bndnchrs
Accidental double post

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a quote I want to use it on a proof, I just don't want to screw it up and attribute it to Feynman (though its a good chance its his). I also don't remember the precise wording.

It goes something like this

? said:
Never start a problem unless you know the answer in advance

Thanks guys! I know one of you knows this, its pretty damn famous, about every graduate student gets it drilled into their heads!

Wheeler!

Thanks!

It's one of my favourites! :smile:

1. Who is the author of this quote?

The author of a quote can be identified by researching the quote itself. This can be done by searching for the quote online or consulting a book or database of quotations. In some cases, the author may be unknown or the quote may be misattributed.

2. How can I find the author of a quote?

To find the author of a quote, you can use online databases, search engines, or books that specialize in quotations. It may also be helpful to gather more information about the quote, such as the context in which it was said or the time period it was written in, to narrow down your search.

3. Can I trust the source of the quote?

It is important to verify the source of a quote before attributing it to a particular author. Some quotes may be falsely attributed or taken out of context, so it is always best to double-check the source and make sure it is reliable.

4. What if the author of the quote is unknown?

In some cases, the author of a quote may be unknown. This may be due to the quote being passed down through oral tradition or being a common saying with no specific origin. If the author is unknown, it is best to attribute the quote to "Anonymous" or "Unknown."

5. Can I use a quote without citing the author?

In most cases, it is important to cite the author of a quote when using it in any type of publication. This gives credit to the original source and avoids plagiarism. If the author is unknown, it is still best to acknowledge the quote as "Anonymous" or "Unknown."