Scattering of a scalar particle on a spin-1/2 particle

In summary: I understand it a little better now.In summary, the problem is that the student is not comfortable with the machinery used to calculate the density matrix. He is looking for someone to help him understand it.
maverick280857
Hi,

Following my recent https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=375638" with density matrix formulations of scattering theory, here's a question I faced on yesterday's particle physics exam. I did some mechanical computation, but I am not fully convinced of what I did (basically computed the density matrix and tried to compute the polarizations). The problem is that I am still not comfortable with the entire machinery.

I'd appreciate if someone could discuss this question and explain me the machinery. I would like to work out the solution on my own.

The [itex]T[/itex] matrix for the scattering of a scalar particle on a spin [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] particle is written as

[tex]T = f + ig \vec{\sigma}\cdot(\vec{k}_i - \vec{k}_f)[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{k}_{i,f}[/itex] refer to initial and final momenta in the centre of mass frame.

(a) Determine the polarization of the proton after scattering if it is initially polarized.
(b) Determine the asymmetry in the scattering to the [itex]|\uparrow\rangle[/itex] and the [itex]|\downarrow\rangle[/itex] states if it is polarized initially with a positive helicity. The states written above refer to the axis perpendicular to the scattering plane.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Hello,

In your prevision question about density matrix I already answered how to do it.

The definition of S matrix is [tex]\Phi(\infty) = (I+iT)\Phi(-\infty)[/tex].

[tex]\Phi(-\infty)\equiv v[/tex]

Now what is the problem? You know that

[tex]\Phi^{*}_{\alpha}\Phi_{\beta} = \rho^{'}_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]

So you know the final density matrix

[tex]\rho^{'} = \frac{T^{\dag}\rho T}{Sp(T^{\dag}\rho T)}[/tex]

The definition of polarization is [tex]<\boldsymbol \sigma> = \boldsymbol \xi [/tex]

[tex]\boldsymbol \xi[/tex] is a polarization vector.

So definition [tex]<A> = Sp(\rho A)[/tex]

now what you should do is to calculate

[tex]\boldsymbol \xi^{'} = \frac{Sp(\rho T^{\dag}\boldsymbol \sigma T)}{Sp(T^{\dag}\rho T)}[/tex]Regards.

Thank you Tupos. I'm a bit slow in understanding. :approve:

Can you explain me a small thing though. In writing the density matrix for the final state, we typically use define T = S - 1 (please see my note http://viveks.wikidot.com/density-matrix-part-1"). But in QFT books and in your reply, you have written S = 1 + iT. Also, in class, for the density matrix calculation, we wrote S = 1 - iT, although we did not use it explicitly anywhere since we only worked with the T matrix.

But the point is...only if you define T as T = S -1 does the unscattered wave get "subtracted" (as shown on the wiki page I've linked to above). Is this just a matter of convention?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello maverick,

First of all you should forget about all notations that you wrote and think what you are doing step by step. I will explain you it now.

What is the equation for S matrix in interaction picture

[tex]i\frac{\partial S(t,t_0)}{\partial t} = H_{I}(t)S(t,t_0)[/tex]

what you want to do is to solve this using perturbation method.

The sense if S matrix is very important as it connect not abstract in and out states as wrote in your wiki, it connect states in Heisenberg picture,with final states in Interaction picture. This is very important. Because we consider that QED equations initially written in Heisenberg form.

It is a consequence of the fact that equation of motion in Heisenberg picture are equal to classical equation. When we quantize our field we know that non quantize electron positron and electromagnetic wave function satisfy to Maxwell and Dirac equations. Thats why after we quantized our field and wave functions became operators we can say that they satisfy the same equations in Heisenberg picture. And only after this fact we consider that initial state vector in interaction picture is equal to state vector in Heisenberg picture.

This is really important to understand.

Go back to equation for S matrix. When we solve this with perturbation method we get T ordered exponent. The zero order is 1, and it is not interested. The next order 1st one is

[tex]-iT(\int{H_I(t)dt})[/tex]

so as you can see it is just matter of convention what we call T matrix. I called it

[tex]\boldsymbol{\hat T}\equiv T(\int{H_I(t)dt}) + ...[/tex]

because Ahiezer and Beresteckij use this convention, I got used to it.

Regards.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed description tupos.

1. What is scattering of a scalar particle on a spin-1/2 particle?

Scattering refers to the process of a particle interacting with another particle and changing its direction or energy. A scalar particle is a type of particle that has no spin, while a spin-1/2 particle is a particle with a spin of 1/2. Therefore, scattering of a scalar particle on a spin-1/2 particle refers to the interaction between these two types of particles.

2. What is the significance of studying this type of scattering?

Studying scattering of a scalar particle on a spin-1/2 particle can provide insight into the fundamental forces and interactions between particles in the universe. It can also help us understand the behavior of particles at high energies and in extreme conditions, such as in particle accelerators or during the early stages of the universe.

3. How is this type of scattering described mathematically?

This type of scattering is described using quantum field theory, specifically the Feynman diagram approach. The interaction between the particles is represented by the exchange of virtual particles, and the probability of scattering is calculated using scattering amplitudes.

4. What are the possible outcomes of this type of scattering?

The possible outcomes of this type of scattering can vary depending on the initial conditions and the properties of the particles involved. Generally, the scalar particle can either be scattered off the spin-1/2 particle, resulting in a change in its direction or energy, or it can be absorbed by the spin-1/2 particle, leading to the creation of new particles.

5. How is this type of scattering observed in experiments?

This type of scattering is observed in experiments using particle detectors, such as those in particle accelerators. These detectors can measure the energies and trajectories of particles before and after the scattering event, allowing scientists to study the properties and behavior of the particles involved.