Calculate voltage drop for a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for I when R=0 in the equation V=IR. It is mentioned that the 10 Ohm resistor cannot be ignored as it is not in parallel with the short circuit. It is suggested to use Kirchoff's current law and find the voltage drops in the circuit to solve for I.
the-alchemist

Homework Statement

wKXQh.png

Homework Equations

V=IR (Ohm's Law)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I'm able to get V=0 for when R=0 but I'm not sure as to how to solve for I when R=0. Can I ignore the 10 Ohm resistor as it's a short circuit as R=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
the-alchemist said:
Now I'm able to get V=0 for when R=0 but I'm not sure as to how to solve for I when R=0. Can I ignore the 10 Ohm resistor as it's a short circuit as R=0.
No, you would only be able to ignore the 10-ohm resistor if it were in parallel with the short circuit.

What you want to do is apply Kirchoff's current law to the node a or b. To do that, though, you'll first want to find the voltage drops in the circuit.

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity flows through a circuit. It is caused by resistance in the circuit components.

2. Why is it important to calculate voltage drop?

Calculating voltage drop is important because it helps ensure the proper functioning of a circuit. Excessive voltage drop can cause equipment to malfunction or become damaged.

3. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated by multiplying the current in the circuit by the total resistance in the circuit. This can be represented by the formula V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. What factors affect voltage drop?

The factors that affect voltage drop include the length and diameter of the wire used in the circuit, the type and number of components in the circuit, and the current flowing through the circuit.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger diameter wires, reducing the length of the circuit, and minimizing the number of components in the circuit. Additionally, using materials with lower resistance can also help reduce voltage drop.