Differential cross-section and scattering.

In summary, differential cross-section refers to the measure of the scattered particles in relation to the incident particles in a scattering process. It is used to study the interactions between particles and their scattering angles. Scattering is the process of particles being deflected or redirected by a medium or by other particles. The differential cross-section helps in understanding the properties of particles and their interactions, making it an important tool in physics and other fields of study.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

A beam of 0.38 MeV neutrons is incident on a 113Cd foil of thickness 1mm. The absorption
cross-section for 0.38 MeV neutrons is 5 barns. What is the fraction of neutrons absorbed by the foil?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure whether I should treat this as scattering in a thick or thin foil and how the energy of the incoming particles is related to the total scattering of particles.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajini said:

Hi! I tried using the formulae given in that webpage. Problem is I don't know where the kinetic energy of the neutron (0.38 MeV) comes in into that equation. Anyhow I still get the wrong answer..

hhhmortal said:
Hi! I tried using the formulae given in that webpage. Problem is I don't know where the kinetic energy of the neutron (0.38 MeV) comes in into that equation. Anyhow I still get the wrong answer..

Just post your calculation. People will help you.

For scattering in a thin foil:

R = F σ n A dx

We have to find R/F and then to get fraction of neutrons absorbed by foil (1 - R/F)

We know what σ, n and dx are, but not A. I don't know why they give me the energy value of the neutrons...?

Please write what is n, A , etc..because many people use their own convention so better to write the key. Is A the mass number of target. ?
Did you miss anything in your question?
Okay i just made a simple calculation using the formula found in that website..
is your solution, i.e the fraction of neutron beam scattered is 0.023? (1-0.23)=0.977.
In fact i am sorry i also don't know why they have given the energy of beam.

Rajini said:
Please write what is n, A , etc..because many people use their own convention so better to write the key. Is A the mass number of target. ?
Did you miss anything in your question?
Okay i just made a simple calculation using the formula found in that website..
is your solution, i.e the fraction of neutron beam scattered is 0.023? (1-0.23)=0.977.
In fact i am sorry i also don't know why they have given the energy of beam.

Sorry forgot about that.

F = flux incident on target. (particles per m² per sec)

A = Total area of foil

n = number density of target atoms
σ = scattering cross section
dx = thickness of foil

Im having the exact same problem, I still can't figure it out.

Thanks.

1. What is a differential cross-section?

A differential cross-section is a measure of the probability of a scattering event occurring in a given direction and is dependent on the properties of the incoming particles and the target material.

2. How is differential cross-section related to scattering?

Differential cross-section is directly related to scattering as it describes the probability of particles scattering in a specific direction. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the interaction between particles and matter.

3. What factors influence the value of the differential cross-section?

The value of the differential cross-section is influenced by the properties of the incoming particles, such as their energy and charge, as well as the properties of the target material, such as its density and atomic structure.

4. How is differential cross-section measured?

Differential cross-section can be measured experimentally by detecting the scattered particles in different directions and using mathematical calculations to determine the probability of scattering in each direction.

5. What is the significance of differential cross-section in particle physics?

Differential cross-section is a crucial concept in particle physics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions with matter. It allows us to make predictions about the outcomes of particle collisions and provides valuable information about the properties of particles and the structure of matter.