Sacrificial Anodes and Oxidation Number of KMnO4

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the first conversation discusses the likelihood of corrosion taking place in an iron nail wrapped with zinc, with the conclusion being that some iron may still oxidize as not all of it is covered by the zinc. The second conversation talks about the oxidation states of potassium and manganate, explaining that while oxygen is always -2, the oxidation states of potassium and manganate can vary depending on the environment they are in. The accuracy and limitations of using oxidation numbers as an accounting device are also mentioned.
Procrastinate
1. I have a question regarding an iron nail wrapped with zinc. The question asks me "Is it correct to say that corrosion did not take place in the nail wrapped with zinc? Explain."

I am not sure whether this is correct but I know that that zinc is more reactive than iron and will thus be more likely to oxidise than iron. However, as it is more likely, there will be some iron which will oxidise since not all of the iron has been cloaked by the zinc.
Is this correct and best explanation? I am not absolutely sure.
----------------------

2. KMnO4. O = -2 but how would I figure out what K and Mn is then? Apparently K is +1 and Mn is +7 but I don't know why. Could anyone please explain? I know they have to add up to zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
KMnO4. O = -2 but how would I figure out what K and Mn is then? Apparently K is +1 and Mn is +7 but I don't know why. Could anyone please explain? I know they have to add up to zero.

Manganate has variable oxidation states, and it's dependent on the environment it's in. Potassium, as you said, has an oxidation state of +1; which I assume you are just expected to know. I again assume the same applies to Oxygen, its oxidation state is invariably -2. From these constants, you can deduce the oxidation state of Manganate.

Discalimer: I can not be held accountable for the accuracy of this post. Someone more knowledgeable will hopefully verify, or correct, as appropriate.:wink:

nobahar said:
I can not be held accountable for the accuracy of this post. Someone more knowledgeable will hopefully verify, or correct, as appropriate.:wink:

You are in general right, although in some compounds oxygen is not -2. But as a first approximation -2 is OK.

More on oxidation numbers calculation.

Please note that oxidation numbers are just an accounting device, they don't reflect any measurable property of atoms.

--

Borek said:
You are in general right, although in some compounds oxygen is not -2. But as a first approximation -2 is OK.
Thanks Borek.

I can provide an explanation for both queries.

1. The concept of sacrificial anodes is used to protect metals from corrosion. In this case, the iron nail is wrapped with zinc, which is more reactive than iron. This means that when the nail is exposed to oxygen and moisture, the zinc will oxidize first, forming a protective layer over the iron. This process is known as galvanization and it helps prevent corrosion of the iron nail. However, it is important to note that corrosion can still occur if the zinc layer is damaged or if the nail is exposed to harsher conditions. So, it is not entirely correct to say that corrosion did not take place in the nail wrapped with zinc, but it is less likely to occur due to the presence of the sacrificial anode.

2. The oxidation number of an element is a measure of the number of electrons it has gained or lost in a chemical reaction. In the case of KMnO4, the overall charge of the compound is 0, so the sum of the oxidation numbers of each element must equal 0. Oxygen (O) is usually assigned an oxidation number of -2, so in this case, 4(-2) = -8. This means that the oxidation number of potassium (K) and manganese (Mn) must add up to +8 in order to balance the overall charge. Since potassium is a Group 1 element, it typically has an oxidation number of +1. Therefore, the remaining +7 oxidation number is assigned to manganese. This is because manganese can have multiple oxidation states, but in KMnO4, it is in its highest oxidation state of +7.

1. What are sacrificial anodes and how do they work?

Sacrificial anodes are pieces of metal, typically zinc or magnesium, that are attached to a metal object, such as a ship or pipeline, to protect it from corrosion. These anodes have a more negative potential than the object they are attached to, so they act as a sacrificial material that corrodes instead of the object.

2. How does oxidation number affect the effectiveness of KMnO4 as an oxidizing agent?

Oxidation number, also known as oxidation state, is the charge that an atom would have if all its bonds were ionic. In KMnO4, the manganese atom has an oxidation number of +7. This high oxidation number allows KMnO4 to easily transfer oxygen atoms to other compounds, making it a strong oxidizing agent.

3. Can KMnO4 be used as a sacrificial anode?

No, KMnO4 cannot be used as a sacrificial anode. Sacrificial anodes must be more electronegative than the object they are protecting, and KMnO4 has a lower electronegativity than most metals.

4. What happens to the oxidation number of KMnO4 during a redox reaction?

The oxidation number of KMnO4 changes during a redox reaction. As an oxidizing agent, KMnO4 gains electrons and its oxidation number decreases. As a reducing agent, KMnO4 loses electrons and its oxidation number increases.

5. How does the oxidation number of KMnO4 affect its color?

The oxidation number of KMnO4 affects its color. In its highest oxidation state (+7), KMnO4 is a dark purple color. As the oxidation number decreases, the color of KMnO4 changes to pink, then colorless. This is due to the different electronic structures and absorption of light by the compound at different oxidation states.