Drag coefficient for Finite circular cylinder of low aspect ratio

In summary, to calculate the drag of a finite circular cylinder with a low aspect ratio, you can use the 2D drag equation and consider using CFD for more accurate results.
vader
HI
i have been involved with a problem which requires me to calculate the drag of a finite circular cylinder of very low aspect ratio (~1.2) i.e the h/d= 1.2
The Red= 5.4x 105 (based on diameter)
and the Rex = 8.46x 106
The flow regime is very low subsonic ( M=0.15)
I need to predict the drag contribution of this body on an a/c
I have gone through various ESDU( 83025 and 80025) and an AGARDDoc Aircraft Excrescence Drag by A D Young, but to no help as these do not contain the flow regime i am aiming at.
I would like help with respect to above problem regarding that someone could point me out in the right direction as to where to look or whether i need to look only for 2D cases here as the aspect ratio is so low.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One approach you could take to calculate the drag of a finite circular cylinder with a very low aspect ratio is to use the 2D drag equation. The drag equation for a 2D cylinder is given by: D = 0.5ρV2A + cD(1-2/π)(AR/2) where ρ is the air density, V is the flow velocity, A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder, cD is the coefficient of drag, and AR is the aspect ratio of the cylinder (h/d). You can then calculate the drag for your particular case using the Red and Rex values you have calculated. Additionally, you may want to consider using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to more accurately model the flow around your cylinder. This can help you to better understand the flow regime and the effect it has on the drag.

1. What is drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder?

The drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance experienced by the cylinder when it is moving through a fluid. It is calculated by dividing the drag force by the product of the fluid density, the velocity of the fluid, and the reference area of the cylinder.

2. How is the drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder calculated?

The drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder is calculated using various methods such as experimental testing, analytical models, and computational simulations. The most commonly used method is the experimental testing, where the drag force is measured at different velocities and the drag coefficient is calculated using the formula mentioned above.

3. What is the significance of low aspect ratio in relation to the drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder?

The aspect ratio of a cylinder is the ratio of its length to its diameter. A low aspect ratio means that the length of the cylinder is relatively shorter compared to its diameter. In the case of a finite circular cylinder, a low aspect ratio indicates that the cylinder is relatively shorter and wider. This aspect ratio significantly affects the drag coefficient as it alters the flow patterns and the distribution of pressure around the cylinder.

4. How does the drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder of low aspect ratio differ from that of a high aspect ratio?

The drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder of low aspect ratio is generally higher than that of a high aspect ratio. This is because the low aspect ratio causes the flow around the cylinder to separate at an earlier stage, creating a larger wake and a larger drag force. In contrast, a high aspect ratio results in a smoother flow around the cylinder, reducing the drag coefficient.

5. What are some factors that can affect the drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder of low aspect ratio?

Some factors that can affect the drag coefficient for a finite circular cylinder of low aspect ratio include the Reynolds number (which is a measure of the relative importance of inertial and viscous forces in the fluid), the surface roughness of the cylinder, and the angle of attack (the angle at which the cylinder is placed in the fluid flow). These factors can alter the flow patterns and the pressure distribution around the cylinder, thus affecting the drag coefficient.