Passion vs Practicality: Navigating Career Choices in Physics and Engineering

• Thread starter confusedinMA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Passion
In summary: This quote highlights the importance of following your passion and doing what you love. While there may be practical concerns and benefits to choosing a more stable and established career path, ultimately, pursuing your passion can lead to a more fulfilling and rewarding life. It may not always be easy, and there may be risks involved, but it is better to try and fail at something you love than to never try at all. Additionally, for those who regret not following their passion, it serves as a reminder to not let fear or practicality hold them back from pursuing their dreams. Ultimately, the decision between passion and practicality is a personal one, and it is important to weigh the pros and cons and consider one's own priorities and values.
confusedinMA
I've talk to many people about this and as much as I don't think I should rely on internet people for advice I need some perspective.

I've been in college too long. Not that I was going full time or even for a degree the whole time but still. After HS I went to a kind of crappy state university and flunked out. I then over a few years converted my childhood interests of physics and astronomy to adult interests and sort of "found myself." Now I'm a few years past when I should have graduated and still a few years off.

My dream in life is to be a research astronomer/physics but I worry that my mounting debt will hinder me. I worry that I won't be able to get a good job with only a physics B.Sc. and I worry that my shoddy past will keep me out of graduate school for physics.

So I think of Electrical Engineering as a good compromise that can get me a good career but I'm not inspired by it after a few months of classes. However, I will have good opportunities if I continue on in EE job wise.

But I only live once AFAIK and I love Physics and doubt my circumstance would give me a chance to go back to it later in life. I have the option of going to a school rated top 50 or so in physics to finish my undergrad in 4-5 semesters or to finish an EE degree in the same time at my current "no-name" school.

Questions:

1. How bad is the situation with only a B.Sc. in physics? Can I get a job? Can I get a good job? Can I do EE jobs for example?

2.If I absolutely "destroy" for the next 5 semesters of physics classes will I be able to get into a graduate program? But this I mean I: get As, do research, study really hard for PGRE.

3. Some older folks have told me they would do their passion and at their age the regret not doing what they loved. How do this match up to your experience?

4. Is it better to have tried at your dream job and failed then to not have tried at all? I feel like EE is "giving in' or the "easy way out".

Physics news on Phys.org
confusedinMA said:
1. How bad is the situation with only a B.Sc. in physics? Can I get a job? Can I get a good job? Can I do EE jobs for example?
From the statistics I've seen, people with physics degrees generally do only slightly worse than electrical engineers - at least so far as post degree starting salary. The major difference is that engineering is an established profession. Companies will hire engineers for engineer-specific tasks. Physics is an academic subject, not a profession, and so undergraduates have to figure how to market themselves and may need additional training (or at least have to do some formal hoop jumping) for career-specific employment. Physicists can get jobs as engineers, but depending on the particular area and company there are restrictions in that some jobs may only be held by engineers.

2.If I absolutely "destroy" for the next 5 semesters of physics classes will I be able to get into a graduate program? But this I mean I: get As, do research, study really hard for PGRE.
Yes. If you want to get into graduate school bad enough, and prove that you can be successful in senior undergraduate physics courses you'll be able to get in somewhere. Of course, you may not get your first choice, but sometimes even the golden kids don't get their first choices either.

3. Some older folks have told me they would do their passion and at their age the regret not doing what they loved. How do this match up to your experience?
I followed my passions for the most part and it's been very rewarding.

4. Is it better to have tried at your dream job and failed then to not have tried at all? I feel like EE is "giving in' or the "easy way out".
This depends on how dire the consequences are for failing I suppose. It's one thing to follow your dreams on your own, but if you've got a family to support as you rack up the debt you might want to think twice about taking them along for the ride.

The lives of most researchers are tough - long hours, minimal pay, and often there's a lack of intellectual freedom in that even though you'd really like to be pondering fundamental questions of the universe, you spend most of your time pondering why line 12378 of your code keeps crashing simulations that you're performing to further someone else's idea that you're really not all that interested in.

Thanks Choppy,

Do you think that EE jobs are slightly easier to get for a Physics major since most work doesn't require a PE or anything like that?

Physics majors can go from Physics to Engineering

Engineering majors would have a harder time going from Engineering to Physics

if you're so worried about an income, take some applied physics classes that will make you more widely employable

G037H3 said:
Physics majors can go from Physics to Engineering

Engineering majors would have a harder time going from Engineering to Physics

if you're so worried about an income, take some applied physics classes that will make you more widely employable

I'm not too worried about income but I do have a nice back catalog of loans. I fully hope and plan to go to a physics phd and make a good salary either in academia or r&d but just incase I want a backup plan.

I'm very interested to see more feelings on the core question. Passion V Practical?

confusedinMA said:
I'm very interested to see more feelings on the core question. Passion V Practical?

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
-- Confucius

Still hoping for more responses

confusedinMA said:
Still hoping for more responses

Are you waiting to hear something specific?

There have been quite a few lengthly, and informative, discussions on this forum that address your questions. If you aren't having any luck with the search tool, I'm sure you won't have to parse very many pages before you find one, as this topic is quite common.

You can also use Google to index the site:

site:www.physicsforums.com <your query>

You should also take a look at the http://www.aip.org/" website (specifically the resources menu).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between passion and practicality in the context of career choices in physics and engineering?

In simple terms, passion refers to the strong emotional desire or enthusiasm for a particular field or subject, while practicality refers to the feasibility or practicality of pursuing that field as a career. In the context of physics and engineering, passion may refer to a strong interest in the subject and a desire to contribute to scientific advancements, while practicality may refer to the job opportunities, salary, and demand for professionals in these fields.

2. Which is more important in choosing a career in physics and engineering - passion or practicality?

It ultimately depends on the individual's goals and priorities. Pursuing a career solely based on passion may lead to job satisfaction and fulfillment, but it may not guarantee financial stability. On the other hand, choosing a career solely based on practicality may lead to a stable income, but it may not bring the same level of passion and excitement. It's important to strike a balance between the two and find a career path that aligns with both your passion and practicality.

3. Can passion and practicality coexist in a career in physics and engineering?

Yes, they can. In fact, having both passion and practicality in a career can lead to a fulfilling and successful career. For example, a person with a passion for renewable energy may pursue a career in engineering, where they can contribute to the development of sustainable solutions while also having a stable and well-paying job.

4. How can one navigate the decision between passion and practicality when choosing a career in physics and engineering?

It's important to do thorough research and assess your skills, interests, and priorities. You can also seek advice from professionals in the field, attend career fairs, and explore different job opportunities to get a better understanding of the industry. Additionally, internships and shadowing experiences can provide valuable insights into the day-to-day work in these fields.

5. Can a career in physics and engineering be both practical and fulfilling?

Absolutely. The fields of physics and engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities, from research and development to consulting and project management. With the right combination of passion, practicality, and hard work, one can find a career that is both financially stable and personally fulfilling in these fields.