How to Integrate ln(x) Using Integration by Parts | Proving the Solution

• Thread starter MysticDude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, Dick was trying to find the integral of ln(x) and got stuck on the dx part. He found a way to use v=x and dv=dx to solve for xln(x).
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Okay so today I started to learn about integration by parts and I understand the basics of it and can do some of the simpler problems, but this one made me stop.
I have to integrate ln(x).
I know the answer is xln(x) - x but I have to prove it.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so what I do is make a table and list my u,du,v,dv. Here is my table:
u = ln(x); v = 1(because ln(x) = 1*ln(x))
du = 1/x; dv = 0;

Okay so the start is ln(x) instead of xln(x) so that's not a good first step. And the [tex]\int vdu[/tex] part is equal to 1[tex](x(\frac{1}{x}) = 1)[/tex]. At this part I'm stuck. I mean I could change the table for the start to be xln(x) but that doesn't make sense to me because where the x come from? I checked Wolfram Alpha but the steps confused me for this problem.

I'll appreciate any help!

:D

Physics news on Phys.org
MysticDude said:
Okay so what I do is make a table and list my u,du,v,dv. Here is my table:
u = ln(x); v = 1(because ln(x) = 1*ln(x))
du = 1/x; dv = 0;

Reconsider the part bolded above. If u = ln x, you still have something left in that integral to account for...

fss said:
Reconsider the part bolded above. If u = ln x, you still have something left in that integral to account for...

OH Shize! I forgot about the dx! But wait, if I use v = dx, then what will dv equal to? Or am I getting this wrong and dv = dx and v = x?

Use u=ln(x) and v=x. So, sure, dv=dx. v=1 doesn't make much sense.

Dick said:
Use u=ln(x) and v=x. v=1 doesn't make much sense.
Okay question: do I use v = x because the deriv of x is dx? I mean since v = x then dv = dx. That's the only way that I could think of using x. Am I right? I understand how to use the equation, it was just getting the u and the v that was confusing me a lot.

MysticDude said:
Okay question: do I use v = x because the deriv of x is dx? I mean since v = x then dv = dx. That's the only way that I could think of using x. Am I right? I understand how to use the equation, it was just getting the u and the v that was confusing me a lot.

Well, sure. If u=ln(x) and v=x then u*dv=ln(x)*dx. That's the integral you want to solve on the left side, yes? So what's the right side?

Well since the equation(on the right side) is [tex]uv - \int vdu[/tex] I would get xln(x) - x. I get the -x part because x(1/x) = 1, so I'm integrating 1, which is x. I could also go ahead and factor out the x making it x(ln(x) -1). I know that this is the answer but I needed to get v, thanks Dick and fss. Much appreciated!

n integrations of ln(x):

x^n[ln(x)-(1/n!)(S)]

where S is the sigma sum of 1/k where k=1 to n

danielatha4 said:
n integrations of ln(x):

x^n[ln(x)-(1/n!)(S)]

where S is the sigma sum of 1/k where k=1 to n

So you are saying that if I was to take the...let's say, 5th integral of ln(x) I would do [tex]x^{5}[ln(x)- \frac{1}{5!}(\sum_{k=1}^{5}\frac{1}{k})][/tex]? That's pretty cool! Just even by typing in 1 I would get xln(x) - x, that's awesome! Gonna show my teacher this!

Last edited:

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method of integration used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using the product rule of differentiation to solve for the integral.

2. How do you integrate ln(x) using integration by parts?

To integrate ln(x) using integration by parts, we use the formula: ∫u dv = uv − ∫v du. In this case, we let ln(x) = u and 1 = dv. This gives us du = 1/x and v = x. Substituting these into the formula, we get ∫ln(x)dx = xln(x) − ∫xdx. The integral of x is x^2/2, so the final solution is xln(x) − x^2/2 + C.

3. Can you prove the solution for integrating ln(x) by parts?

Yes, the solution for integrating ln(x) by parts can be proven by using the fundamental theorem of calculus. This theorem states that if F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x), then ∫f(x)dx = F(x) + C. In the case of integrating ln(x), the antiderivative of ln(x) is xln(x) − x + C. By substituting this into our solution, we can see that it is equivalent to the antiderivative and therefore, is a valid solution.

4. Are there any other methods for integrating ln(x)?

Yes, there are other methods for integrating ln(x) such as using substitution or integration by parts multiple times. However, integration by parts is usually the most efficient method for this type of integral.

5. What are some common mistakes when integrating ln(x) by parts?

Some common mistakes when integrating ln(x) by parts include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrectly choosing u and dv, and making errors in the integration of u or dv. It is important to carefully choose u and dv and to double check the integration steps to avoid these mistakes.