Calculating Force of Gravity in Circular Motion: Formula and Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the force of gravity (N) in a circular motion problem. The formula to find the force of gravity is F=Gmm/r^2, where G is the constant of gravity and m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects. The student needs to solve for the force of gravity, mass, and centripetal force in a specific problem involving the Earth orbiting the Sun. They are looking for a formula or answer to help them with this problem and future ones.
Blassemer
Ok,

How do I go about finding the Force of Gravity(N) in a circular motion problem.

My teacher is asking us to solve for that, so wat do I multiply to get that?

All I need is the formula to find Force of Gravity (N).

PS. I need it pretty quick because the Homework is do tomorrow.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the force of gravity? are you talking about a vertical circular motion?

Here is my problem...

It is about the planets and orbiting the sun, this is the planet earth

Radius=1.496x10^11
Period (years) = 1
Period (seconds)=31,536,000
Velocity=2.981x10^4
Centripetal Acceleration-5.94x10^-3
Force of Gravity (N)= ?
Mass (KG)=?
Centipetal Force (N)=?

I actually need to solve for those 3 things, if someone could give me the answer to those then that would be great because I have to do 8 other planets after this one so it would get me off to a good start, Thanks

if not the answer then a formula or something to find them (I really need to know how to find the Force of Gravity (N))

The centripetal force (mv^2/r) is supplied by Gravity F=Gmm/r^2

Sun mass = 2 x 10^30 kg if I remember correctly...

Adrian Baker said:
The centripetal force (mv^2/r) is supplied by Gravity F=Gmm/r^2

Sun mass = 2 x 10^30 kg if I remember correctly...

So, what does Gmm represent, I know r is radius but wat does Gmm mean

Blassemer said:
So, what does Gmm represent, I know r is radius but wat does Gmm mean

Constant of Gravity (NOT 9.8 m/s^2) and m1 and m2, are the masses of the two objects.

Last edited:

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a changing direction.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain circular motion.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass of an object, its velocity, and the radius of the circle. This means that as any of these values increase, the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path also increases.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the actual force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent force that seems to push the object away from the center of the circle. In reality, centrifugal force is just an effect of centripetal force, and it only appears to exist because of the object's inertia.

5. How does circular motion relate to everyday life?

Circular motion can be observed in many aspects of our daily lives, such as the motion of a Ferris wheel, the Earth's orbit around the sun, or the spinning of a ceiling fan. It is also an essential concept in many fields, including engineering, astronomy, and sports, where it is used to design and analyze various systems and movements.