Living Beyond Possible: Could I Age Less Than Earth?

• Thread starter lewis1440
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, I don't want to think about now.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for time dilation when traveling at high speeds, and whether it would be possible to essentially extend one's life by traveling in a constant speed away from Earth. While this is theoretically possible, it would require speeds close to the speed of light and is not practical due to the energy requirements and potential danger of space debris collisions.
lewis1440
Q.) If i were to travel at 100,000 m/s in an exact horizontal line away from Earth for approximately 1 year, when i return would everyone on Earth have aged older than me? If so, and traveling 100,000 m/s is possible for a year constant, then could i not live for 100 *earth years* without aging even a fraction of what i should have?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi lewis1440! welcome to pf! :wink:
lewis1440 said:
If so, and traveling 100,000 m/s is possible for a year constant, then could i not live for 100 *earth years* without aging even a fraction of what i should have?

that's correct :smile:

but you'd need to go a lot faster: the time dilation factor is only √(1 - (v/c)2), so you'd need v/c to be very nearly 1 :wink:

lewis1440 said:
Q.) If i were to travel at 100,000 m/s in an exact horizontal line away from Earth for approximately 1 year, when i return would everyone on Earth have aged older than me? If so, and traveling 100,000 m/s is possible for a year constant, then could i not live for 100 *earth years* without aging even a fraction of what i should have?

Welcome! I'd add that, just in case you're not sure: your own experience would be "normal" from your perspective; it's only as you've very properly said: you age a particular way in relation to (in this case) earth.

I have to say, reading the title of this thread I was worried, but that's a good question.

But don't get excited with the possibility of actually taking advantage of extending your life this way. It still will never happened due to many practical problems, not the least of which is the energy involved but also when traveling through space at very high relative speeds, you will impact lots of space debris that will utterly destroy your spaceship.

ghwellsjr said:
But don't get excited with the possibility of actually taking advantage of extending your life this way. It still will never happened due to many practical problems, not the least of which is the energy involved but also when traveling through space at very high relative speeds, you will impact lots of space debris that will utterly destroy your spaceship.

Shields up! :wink:

Kidding aside, I'd hate to impact a proton going at that speed, never mind a bit of hydrogen dust. A pebble would be... bad.

What does it mean to "age less than Earth"?

"Aging less than Earth" refers to the concept of slowing down or reversing the natural aging process in humans. This could potentially extend the human lifespan beyond what is currently considered possible.

Is it scientifically possible to age less than Earth?

While there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of completely stopping or reversing the aging process, there have been studies and experiments that suggest it may be possible to slow down the aging process through various lifestyle and dietary interventions. However, more research is needed before any definitive conclusions can be made.

What factors contribute to the aging process?

The aging process is a complex combination of genetic, physiological, and environmental factors. These can include things like oxidative stress, telomere shortening, and lifestyle habits such as diet and exercise. Additionally, external factors such as pollution and stress can also contribute to the aging process.

Can we control our own aging process?

While we cannot completely control the aging process, we do have some influence over it through our lifestyle choices. Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, managing stress, and avoiding harmful habits such as smoking can all help to slow down the aging process.

What are some potential consequences of aging less than Earth?

If it were possible to significantly slow down or reverse the aging process, it could have a major impact on society and the economy. It could also raise ethical concerns about overpopulation and resource depletion. Additionally, there is a possibility that it could lead to social inequalities, as only certain individuals or groups may have access to these advancements.