How can the bound states of two spin 1/2 particles be split into two equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Schrodinger equation to solve for bound states in a system of two spin 1/2 particles interacting through a spin-dependent potential. The equation can be split into two parts, one with an effective potential of V1(r) + V2(r) and the other with V1(r) - 3V2(r). Additionally, the conversation mentions a trick for calculating the spin-orbit interaction by squaring the total spin equation.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two spin 1/2 particles interact through the spin-dependent potential

[tex]V(r)=V_1(r)+V_2(r) \sigma ^{(1)} \cdot \sigma^{(2)}[/tex]

Show that the equation determining the bound states can be split into two equations, one having the effective potential [itex]V_1(r)+V_2(2)[/itex] and the other [itex]V_1(r)-3V_2(r)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really having trouble figuring out how to solve these spin problems, but I think for this one I should use the Schrodinger equation for two particles?

[tex] \left [ \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\left ( \nabla_1^2+\nabla_2^2 \right ) + V(r) \right ] |s,m \rangle = E |s,m\rangle[/tex]

If so, I need to figure out how to quantify [tex]\sigma ^{(1)} \cdot \sigma^{(2)}[/tex], which I am unsure how to do.

In addition to this specific problem, any more general remarks/resources about how to solve these spin problems would be appreciated (my book is terrible in this respect)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably saw this trick when calculating the spin-orbit interaction for the hydrogen atom. For this problem, the total spin S is equal to S=S1+S2. If you square this equation, you get

[tex]\mathbf{S}^2 = (\mathbf{S}_1+\mathbf{S}_2)^2 = \mathbf{S}_1^2+\mathbf{S}_2^2+2\mathbf{S}_1\cdot\mathbf{S}_2[/tex]

Solving for the cross term, you get

[tex]\mathbf{S}_1\cdot\mathbf{S}_2 = \frac{\mathbf{S}^2-\mathbf{S}_1^2-\mathbf{S}_2^2}{2}[/tex]

What is the meaning of "spin" in the context of two spin 1/2 particles?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, similar to their mass and charge. It describes the particles' angular momentum, or their ability to rotate around an axis. In the case of spin 1/2 particles, they have a spin of 1/2, which means they can have two possible spin orientations: up or down.

What is the significance of two spin 1/2 particles?

Two spin 1/2 particles are often used to represent a system of two particles, such as two electrons, protons, or neutrons. The particles can interact with each other through their spins, leading to various phenomena such as entanglement and superposition.

What is the difference between spin 1/2 particles and other spin values?

Spin 1/2 particles are considered fermions, meaning they follow the Pauli exclusion principle and cannot occupy the same quantum state. Other spin values, such as spin 0 or spin 1, are considered bosons and do not follow this principle. Additionally, spin 1/2 particles have two possible spin states, while other spin values can have multiple states.

Can two spin 1/2 particles be in the same spin state?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, two spin 1/2 particles cannot be in the same spin state. This is known as the spin-statistics theorem, which states that fermions (like spin 1/2 particles) have half-integer spins and follow the exclusion principle, while bosons have integer spins and do not follow the exclusion principle.

How are two spin 1/2 particles experimentally observed and measured?

Two spin 1/2 particles can be experimentally observed and measured using techniques such as electron spin resonance (ESR) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These techniques use the interactions between the particles' spins and magnetic fields to measure their properties and behavior.