Synthesis of an organic compound

In summary, the student is seeking help on synthesizing an organic compound starting from benzene. They have successfully performed a Suzuki reaction to obtain a portion of the molecule, but are stuck on how to obtain the remaining molecule needed to form an Imine and then transform it into a secondary amine through a reductive amination reaction. They are unsure if their approach is correct and are seeking guidance.
Deathcrush

Homework Statement

I've been asked to explain how would I synthesize an organic compound, its structure is attached as an image (first attachment) , could you help me figure it out? I'm supposed to start from benzene

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've got a big part of the molecule, I got it through a Suzuki reaction, what i have is from the chlorine atom all the way to the nitrogen, it seems that what I need is this other molecule (second attachment) so I can join them forming an Imine and then transforming the imine to a secondary amine

Attachments

• Captura1.PNG
    Captura1.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 484
  • Captura2.PNG
    Captura2.PNG
    876 bytes · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
by a reductive amination reaction. I'm stuck here, is this the right way to do it? or am I missing something?

1. What is the purpose of synthesizing an organic compound?

The purpose of synthesizing an organic compound is to create a new chemical compound that does not exist in nature. This can be done for various reasons such as developing new medicines, creating new materials, or studying the properties of certain chemicals.

2. What are the steps involved in synthesizing an organic compound?

The steps involved in synthesizing an organic compound may vary depending on the specific compound being synthesized, but generally involve designing a reaction pathway, gathering necessary reagents and equipment, conducting the reaction, purifying the product, and analyzing the product to confirm its identity.

3. What safety precautions should be taken during the synthesis of an organic compound?

Safety precautions during the synthesis of an organic compound include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, working in a well-ventilated area, using proper lab techniques, and being aware of the hazards associated with the specific chemicals being used.

4. How do you determine the success of a synthesis reaction?

The success of a synthesis reaction can be determined by analyzing the product using various techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and melting point determination. The product should also match the expected chemical formula and physical properties of the desired compound.

5. What are some common challenges in synthesizing organic compounds?

Some common challenges in synthesizing organic compounds include difficulty in obtaining pure reagents, side reactions leading to unwanted products, and yield optimization. Additionally, the complexity of organic compounds can make it challenging to design an efficient and cost-effective synthesis pathway.