Solving Momentum Problem: 4000N/m Spring Compression

• Thread starter mikep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a 10kg cart with low friction wheels and two 4000N/m springs. The first spring is compressed by 0.50m and the cart is released, hitting another identical cart. The carts then lock together and hit a wall on the other side of the room, compressing the second spring. The question is how far does the second spring compress as the carts stop? To solve this problem, one must find the initial potential energy of the cart, which is equal to 1000J. From conservation of energy, this can be used to calculate the velocity of the first cart when it hits the second cart (10m/s). Using conservation of momentum, the velocity of the two combined carts
mikep
can someone please help me with this problem?
A 10kg cart with low friction wheels has a 4000N/m
spring on one end. The cart is pressed against the
wall so that the spring is compressed 0.50m. The cart
is released and rolls on the surface only to hit
another identical cart. The two carts lock together
and run into a wall on the other side of the room
where a 4000N/m spring on the second cart compresses
until the carts stop. How far does the second spring
compress as the carts stop?
I think i need to break it up into three parts. For
the first one i need to find the force of the s[ring
then the collision of hte two carts and then the
compression of the spring. So for the first part i
did:
PEs = (1/2) k(x^2) = (1/2)(4000N/m)(0.50^2) = 1000J
is that right for the first part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math. I think you forgot to divide by 2. And the unit for energy is the joule. I think your strategy is essentially correct. Now that you know the initial potential energy of the cart, you know its final kinetic energy as it is released (from conservation of energy). Therefore, you know its velocity when it hit the second cart. From conservation of momentum, you can calculate the velocity of the two combined carts after the collision. That will give you their initial kinetic energy when they hit the spring. Since this kinetic energy is converted to elastic potential energy, you can calculate the displacement of the spring.

oh you're right its 500J. ok so i use that and i did 500 = (1/2)m(v^2) v = 10m/s then i did the conservation of momentum. (10)(10) + (10)(0) = (10 + 10) V V = 5m/s (1/2)m(V^2) = (1/2)k(x^2) x = 0.25 as the displacement. does this look right?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you solve a momentum problem?

To solve a momentum problem, you must first identify the initial and final states of the system, including the objects involved, their masses, and their velocities. Then, you can apply the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before and after the interaction remains constant.

3. What is a 4000N/m spring compression?

A 4000N/m spring compression refers to the stiffness or spring constant of a spring. It is a measure of how much force is required to compress the spring by a certain distance. In this case, it means that a force of 4000 Newtons would compress the spring by 1 meter.

4. How does a spring compression affect momentum?

When a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, causing an increase in the velocity of the object attached to the spring. This change in velocity affects the momentum of the object and the system as a whole.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving momentum problems?

Solving momentum problems has many practical applications in everyday life, such as predicting the motion of objects in collisions, designing safety features in vehicles, analyzing the movement of particles in chemical reactions, and understanding the behavior of objects in sports, such as a baseball being hit by a bat.