Does a modulated electromagnetic wave contain photons of different energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of modulated waves and their relationship to photons. The participants mention that the frequency of the wave changes when a phase shift occurs, causing the spectrum of the signal to spread. They also mention that phase modulators can be used to add sidebands to a carrier wave, and that the concept of wave-particle duality can be applied to understand the distribution of photons in a modulated wave.
sriecewit
Hi Guys,

I have a doubt. When we think of a modulated wave, consider frequency modulation for example, does the wave contain photos of gradually changing energy (or frequency)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to something like FM radio? If so, I believe that is correct.

Drakkith said:
Are you referring to something like FM radio? If so, I believe that is correct.

Yep. I'm reffering to something like an FM radio. But, trying to extend the context to something like binary modulation, as in BPSK, how can one explain what kind of photos then wave has?

BPSK signal has photons of constant energy in between until the carrier wave encounters a phase shift. When it hits a phase shift of 180 degree, what kind of photons will it contain. I mean, it can be explained by wave theory well rather than quantum mechanics I believe.

I'm stuck at this right now :-(

Well, E=hv, so you just look at the BPSK spectrum and that would be the distribution of your photon energies.

sriecewit said:
Yep. I'm reffering to something like an FM radio. But, trying to extend the context to something like binary modulation, as in BPSK, how can one explain what kind of photos then wave has?

BPSK signal has photons of constant energy in between until the carrier wave encounters a phase shift. When it hits a phase shift of 180 degree, what kind of photons will it contain. I mean, it can be explained by wave theory well rather than quantum mechanics I believe.

I'm stuck at this right now :-(

I'm not familiar enough with modulation and brodcasting techniques to really say for sure. I believe the photons are all of the same frequency still, just the phase of the carrier wave changes.

Drakkith said:
I believe the photons are all of the same frequency still, just the phase of the carrier wave changes.
No, this is incorrect. Any kind of modulation causes frequency spread. Here is a typical BPSK spectrum plot

Delta Kilo said:
No, this is incorrect. Any kind of modulation causes frequency spread. Here is a typical BPSK spectrum plot

So a phase shift requires a frequency shift to accomplish this?

Drakkith said:
It is not so much as frequency shift but frequency spread as in continuous range of frequencies. At the moment when phase shift occurs you waveform is not a sine wave anymore but something different. Therefore its Fourier transform (that is frequency spectrum) is not a delta-function at single frequency but a distrinbution of frequencies.

Example : consider amplitude modulation with carrier freq Fc, modulation freq Fm, modulation depth k:
[itex]A(t) = [ 1 + k \sin (2\pi F_m t)] \sin (2\pi F_c t)[/itex]
which can be re-written using trig identities as
[itex]A(t) = \sin (2 \pi F_c t) + \frac{k}{2} \sin (2\pi (F_c-F_m) t + \frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{k}{2} \sin (2\pi (F_c+F_m) t - \frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]
So it s exactly the same as unmodulated sine wave with frequency Fc plus two sidebands at Fc+Fm and Fc-Fm. The information is actually carried in those sidebands, not in the center frequency band. In fact the center frequency and one of the sidebands can be discarded altogether (SSB modulation).

Drakkith said:

Just to add to what Delta Kilo has already written.
One of the primary uses of phase modulators is to add sidebands to a carrier*. E.g. if you send a carrier with frequency fc through a phase modulator driven at fm; the spectrum of the outgoing signal will contain fc, fc+fm and fc-fm (as well as fc+2fm etc, but the amplitude of those tend to be much smaller).

This will of course be true for all forms of modulation schemes that use phase modulators, including bpsk etc.

And yes, the answer is that the signal will contain photons with those frequencies.

*If is often better to use PM than FM to add sidebands.

I think the main problem here is the wave-particle duality. You consider some wave-like phenomenon and ask what happens to the particles at the same time.

haael said:
I think the main problem here is the wave-particle duality. You consider some wave-like phenomenon and ask what happens to the particles at the same time.

It's not really a problem. As mentioned above, your photon energy distribution is just given by the spectrum (Fourier transform) of your signal scaled by [itex]\hbar[/itex].

There is usually no problem scaling down the ideas to the single quantum level, as long as you look at the probability distribution instead. So if the light spectrum at large intensities had a particular energy/frequency distribution, then the corresponding situation for a single photon is a probability distribution for that photon to be measured with a particular energy.

1. What is a modulated electromagnetic wave?

A modulated electromagnetic wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has its amplitude, frequency, or phase altered in order to carry information. This is commonly used in telecommunications to transmit signals over long distances.

2. How does modulation affect the energy of an electromagnetic wave?

Modulation does not directly affect the energy of an electromagnetic wave. The energy of an electromagnetic wave is determined by its frequency, with higher frequencies having higher energy. Modulation only affects the characteristics of the wave, not its energy.

3. Are there different types of modulation for electromagnetic waves?

Yes, there are various types of modulation used for electromagnetic waves, including amplitude modulation (AM), frequency modulation (FM), and phase modulation (PM). Each type has its own advantages and is used for different purposes in telecommunications.

4. Do all modulated electromagnetic waves contain photons of different energy?

No, not all modulated electromagnetic waves contain photons of different energy. The energy of a photon is determined by the frequency of the wave, so only waves with varying frequencies will have photons of different energy. In some cases, the modulation may only affect the amplitude or phase of the wave, leaving the frequency unchanged.

5. How are photons related to modulated electromagnetic waves?

Photons are the fundamental particles that make up electromagnetic waves. They carry the energy of the wave and their frequency determines the energy level. In a modulated electromagnetic wave, the photons may have different energy levels depending on the type of modulation used.