Online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an online tool that can solve systems of equations using Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition. The individual is looking for a tool where they can simply input the numbers and have the equations solved, as well as a website that explains these methods in detail. Suggestions for using MATLAB, Python scripts, and Wolfram Alpha are also mentioned as possible solutions.
XodoX
I can not find any useful online tool that solves you a system of equations using Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition. So just a system like:

-3X+4X+9X+4x=-2
9X+2X+1X-5X=2

etc. Just about 4 lines.

several lines. So basically an online tool where you can just plug in the -3,4,9,4,-2 etc and it solves it for you. Same with the LU decomposition for systems like this one.

And, does somebody know of a website where Gaussian elimination and LU explained in detail ? I know how to do Gaussian elimination, but I'm used to do it in a different way. Solve the equations for whatever, but I'm talking about just taking the numbers, put them in a matrix and then solve it. I'm not quite sure how that works. LU decomposition is tricky too, imo. Just can't find anything that's useful. I would appreciate any help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
or a python script (with numpy and scipy)...

...or, if you want something on-line, try http://www.sagemath.org/" ...again, though, you would need to know what functions to call, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys!

1. What is Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition?

Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition are two methods used to solve systems of linear equations. Gaussian elimination is a step-by-step process of reducing a system of equations to row echelon form, while LU decomposition involves factoring the coefficient matrix into an upper and lower triangular matrix.

2. How are online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition helpful?

Online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition provide a quick and efficient way to solve systems of linear equations. They can handle large matrices and reduce the chances of human error. These tools are also useful for students learning about Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition, as they can check their work and see the steps involved in the solution.

3. Are there any limitations to using online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition?

Online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition may not always be able to handle complex or non-linear systems of equations. They also may not provide the most optimized or efficient solution. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and steps involved in Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition, rather than relying solely on online tools for every problem.

4. Can online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition be used for real-life applications?

Yes, Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition are widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. Online tools for these methods can be used to solve real-life problems involving systems of linear equations, such as finding the optimal solution for a system of equations representing a business model or designing a circuit in electrical engineering.

5. Are there any alternatives to using online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition?

Yes, there are various software programs that can perform Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs may offer more advanced features and can handle more complex systems of equations. However, online tools are a convenient and accessible option for those who do not have access to these software programs.