Introductory Probability textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses different textbooks for an introductory probability course and recommends several options including 'A First Course in Probability' by Sheldon Ross, 'Probability Theory: The Logic of Science' by E.T Jaynes, and 'Fifty Challenging Problems in Probability with Solutions' by Frederick Monsteller. Some individuals have also suggested lecture notes from Cambridge and the second volume of Feller's 'Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications'. The main advice is to do the problems in order and not to be intimidated by the difficulty, as it will lead to a better understanding of the subject. There are also some mentions of problems that require the use of spreadsheets or math software.
CAF123
Gold Member
I am doing an introductory Probability course this semester and the textbook we are set to use is 'A first course in Probability' by Sheldon Ross. However, upon reading reviews from amazon and elsewhere, it appears this book is not that helpful and 'is the WORST book I have ever used' and 'the examples don't help you do the problems' are some quotes used.
The average grading was 2.9 out of 5.

I am wondering therefore if anybody who has done an introductory probability course could recommend any textbooks that they thought were useful during their study.
I might consider the book by Schaum but I am not entirely sure if this is at the right level.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Grinstead and Snell
2) Feller
3) Bertsekas

Good Luck!

SolsticeFire

I took intro probability from Ross's book and actually liked it. It was the old 3rd edition, so perhaps the author lost his way in the revisions, but I would give it a chance. The largest objection is that it has "too many" examples, so sometimes it isn't easy to find the portions that describe the theory. But books with fewer examples often get the complaint that "it has too few examples!"

I also agree with SolsticeFire about Grinstead and Snell; in case you haven't found it yet you can buy it on places like amazon, but the authors also allow you to download it for free: (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/book.html)
If neither of those cut it, I also second the suggestion of the book by bertsekas. Either the first or second editions are fine.

good luck, and enjoy probability! It is certainly worth the effort it takes to learn it.

jason

I'd recommend using lecture notes from Cambridge, it's around 100 pages :

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/dpk10/IA/IAprob.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Obis said:
I'd recommend using lecture notes from Cambridge, it's around 100 pages :

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/dpk10/IA/IAprob.html

Loved those lecture notes by Professor Kennedy, thank you very much! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Introduction to Probability Models, Tenth Edition
by Sheldon M. Ross
An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications by William Feller
Probability Theory: The Logic of Science by E.T Jaynes
Fifty Challenging Problems in Probability with Solutions by Frederick Monsteller

theoristo said:
Introduction to Probability Models, Tenth Edition
by Sheldon M. Ross
An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications by William Feller
Probability Theory: The Logic of Science by E.T Jaynes
Fifty Challenging Problems in Probability with Solutions by Frederick Monsteller

Old thread, but I'm curious, has anyone read the second volume of Feller's Into to Prob. Theory and its Apps? I have the first volume (and have been putting off reading it to be honest) but I'm curious as to the worth of the second volume.

I see this is an old thread, but in case it happens to be read in the future, I want to say loudly and clearly that Sheldon Ross, A First Course is not a bad book at all. It is a difficult book, you must do the problems in the order that they are given because the difficulty escalates and you really need to do the earlier problems to do the later ones, but in doing that you will know the subject better. If it looks like there is a lack of explanation, it is because what you want to be explained will become obvious once you do the easier problems.

The only complaint I have is that some of the problems are meant to be solved with a spreadsheet or math software, and these problems aren't marked. So now and again, once or twice per chapter I would say, there is a problem that one can't do manually, too much calculation is required. But these are easily skipped without loss, you will quickly recognize them.

This is the best advice I can give, do the problems in order and this book will become much easier and much more valuable to you.

treebeard said:
Old thread, but I'm curious, has anyone read the second volume of Feller's Into to Prob. Theory and its Apps? I have the first volume (and have been putting off reading it to be honest) but I'm curious as to the worth of the second volume.

My personal experience is that one reaches a point of saturation with probability, where you will think, I've learned enough probability to satisfy me. Clearly there are some people who can't get enough and they will need to read both volumes I suppose. But get through volume 1 first, you may find that you are satisfied.

Likes 1 person
verty said:
I see this is an old thread, but in case it happens to be read in the future, I want to say loudly and clearly that Sheldon Ross, A First Course is not a bad book at all. It is a difficult book, you must do the problems in the order that they are given because the difficulty escalates and you really need to do the earlier problems to do the later ones, but in doing that you will know the subject better. If it looks like there is a lack of explanation, it is because what you want to be explained will become obvious once you do the easier problems.

The only complaint I have is that some of the problems are meant to be solved with a spreadsheet or math software, and these problems aren't marked. So now and again, once or twice per chapter I would say, there is a problem that one can't do manually, too much calculation is required. But these are easily skipped without loss, you will quickly recognize them.

This is the best advice I can give, do the problems in order and this book will become much easier and much more valuable to you.
I know this is an old thread but I'm planning on getting this book and after reading your post, I have a question. Does this book teach you how the said problem can be solved using spreadsheets or some other software? If not, the where can one learn to do that?

Blitzstein: Introduction To Probability is a great textbook. However, the problems can be a little tough and no answers in the back which make self study kind of hard for someone new to probability theory. I would supplement it with another textbook. Maybe the book by Degroot?

1. What is the purpose of an introductory probability textbook?

An introductory probability textbook is designed to provide a foundation for understanding and applying the principles of probability in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, and science. It covers topics such as basic concepts, theory, and applications of probability in a clear and organized manner.

2. What are the key topics covered in an introductory probability textbook?

Some of the key topics covered in an introductory probability textbook include the fundamental principles of probability, probability distributions, conditional probability, Bayes' theorem, random variables, and sampling distributions. It may also include applications of probability in real-world scenarios.

3. What level of mathematics is required for understanding an introductory probability textbook?

An introductory probability textbook typically requires a basic understanding of algebra, calculus, and statistics. It may also include some advanced mathematical concepts, but the main focus is on developing a conceptual understanding of probability rather than advanced mathematical techniques.

4. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying an introductory probability textbook?

Some introductory probability textbooks may recommend a basic understanding of statistics, algebra, and calculus. However, most textbooks are designed to be self-contained and do not require any specific prerequisites. It is always helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, but it is not necessary for understanding the concepts in an introductory probability textbook.

5. What are the benefits of studying an introductory probability textbook?

Studying an introductory probability textbook can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a foundation for understanding and applying probability concepts in various fields, including data analysis, risk assessment, and decision-making. Additionally, it can serve as a valuable resource for those pursuing careers in science, engineering, finance, and other fields where probability is essential.