Can anyone please recommend me a good textbook for this course?

In summary, for a math textbook with lots of practice problems and less theoretical problems for "Complex Variables with Applications" course, you can consider Boas, Flanigan, or Saff and Snyder. Boas is a low-level book, while Flanigan is an actual book on complex variables that isn't too difficult. Saff and Snyder has answers to odd problems and the 2nd edition is affordable.
Math10
Can anyone please recommend me a good textbook for the course "Complex Variables with Applications" that has lots of practice problems and less theoretical problems? Please tell me the name of the textbook, edition, and the author. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thank you.

I would recommend the textbook "Complex Variables and Applications" by James Ward Brown and Ruel V. Churchill. This textbook has been widely used and praised for its clear explanations and numerous practice problems. The latest edition, the 9th edition, was published in 2014. It covers a range of topics in complex variables and includes many real-world applications. I believe this textbook would be a valuable resource for the course "Complex Variables with Applications."

1. What makes a textbook a good recommendation for a course?

A good textbook for a course should cover all the necessary topics in a clear and comprehensive manner. It should also have relevant examples and practice problems to help students understand the material better.

2. How can I find a good textbook for a specific course?

You can ask your professor or classmates for recommendations, read online reviews, or visit your school's library to browse through available textbooks.

3. Should I buy a new or used textbook for the course?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and budget. Used textbooks may be more affordable, but they may also have outdated information. New textbooks may be more expensive, but they will have the most up-to-date information.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in a textbook for this course?

Some features to consider when choosing a textbook for a course include the level of difficulty, the format (e-book or physical book), and any supplementary materials such as online resources or study guides.

5. How can I know if a textbook is suitable for my learning style?

You can preview the textbook by reading a few chapters or checking out sample pages online. You can also ask for recommendations from students who have taken the course before and have a similar learning style as you.