Please recommend me a good textbook for Differential Equations?

In summary: An Introduction to Differential Equations", is a great introduction to the subject, and it's much more reader-friendly than Arnol'd.
Math10
Can someone please recommend me a good textbook for Differential Equations that has lots of practice problems and less theoretical problems? Please tell me the name of the textbook, edition, and author. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't respond till now because my answer was always going to be somewhat disappointing: differential equations are very theoretical and most books are quite similar. They also seem to be quite expensive.

But I've found an older edition book for you that should have sufficiently many problems and answers for you to have no trouble learning from it. The authors also write a very good calculus book, and you can always ask questions here on the forums, so this is my recommendation for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130113018/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I chose this 4th edition because the newer editions are very expensive; this one is from 1999, not so long ago.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

i agree with edwards and penney, and i also like martin braun's book, and guterman and nitecki, and more advanced: arnol'd.

How about Tenebaum and Pollard. Or you may want to take G.F. Simmon's Differential Equations with Historical Notes. I had this, and it is a very good book. The good thing is you won't need any solution manual. They give answers at the back of the book (I said answers, not whole solutions, just answers).

Or you may want to get Dennis G. Zill's book.

mathwonk said:
i agree with edwards and penney, and i also like martin braun's book, and guterman and nitecki, and more advanced: arnol'd.

Off topic: If I am not wrong, you also write reviews on amazon.

Modest Learner said:
How about Tenebaum and Pollard.

I second this. T&P is probably my favorite DEs book. It's good for self-study and has all the answers to the problems. It's only like $16 on Amazon too.

Modest Learner said:
Or you may want to take G.F. Simmon's Differential Equations with Historical Notes.

I recommend this book very highly. It's truly excellent.

The famous book by Vladimir Arnol'd might be worth mentioning. However, like all of his books, it is considerably hard to read. Its level of abstractness might be somewhere between typical math and physics books. In case you're looking for a totally unmathematical book - no proofs - with a lot of technique, I recommend the ODE book from the 'for Dummies' series by Steven Holzner. You can get the most important theoretical aspects (that, in my opinion, every physicist should be familiar with) from "Analysis, Manifolds and Physics" in an utterly condensed manner.

Boyce and Diprima

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.

Why do I need a textbook for differential equations?

A textbook provides a comprehensive and organized approach to learning differential equations. It presents the fundamental concepts, theories, and methods used in solving differential equations, making it an essential resource for students and researchers in the field.

What should I look for in a good textbook for differential equations?

A good textbook for differential equations should have clear explanations, relevant examples, and a variety of practice problems. It should also cover a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to advanced techniques, and include applications in various fields.

Can you recommend a specific textbook for differential equations?

There are many excellent textbooks for differential equations, so the best one for you will depend on your level of knowledge and your specific needs. Some popular options include "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George F. Simmons, "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "Differential Equations: An Introduction" by James R. Brannan and William E. Boyce.

How can I use a textbook for differential equations effectively?

To make the most out of a textbook for differential equations, it is recommended to read and study the material thoroughly, practice solving problems regularly, and seek help from your instructor or peers when needed. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with other resources, such as online tutorials, videos, and study groups.