Midterm Practice: Could some verify my proof

In summary, the purpose of a midterm practice is to prepare for an upcoming exam by reviewing and testing one's understanding of the material. To verify the correctness of a proof, it is best to seek feedback from a peer or instructor and check for logical errors and evidence. It is recommended to only use personal notes and class materials for a midterm practice. The amount of time spent on a proof will vary and it is important to allocate enough time for thorough review. If struggling with a proof, it is helpful to identify specific areas and seek help from classmates or review related material.
johnnyICON
Midterm Practice: Could someone verify my proof

A sample question that I tried proving is:

Formally show that [tex]A \subseteq B,~then~A \cap C \subseteq B \cap C[/tex]

My Proof:
Suppose [tex]x \in A \cap C[/tex]. Then by definition of intersection, [tex]x \in A~and~x \in C[/tex]. But as [tex]A \subseteq B,~then~x \in B[/tex]. Hence, [tex]x \in B \cap C[/tex]. And therefore, [tex]A \cap C \subseteq B \cap C[/tex].

Is there anything that I've missed? Is this even right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine to me.

Hallelujah!

1. What is the purpose of a midterm practice?

The purpose of a midterm practice is to prepare for an upcoming midterm exam by reviewing and testing one's understanding of the material covered so far.

2. How do I know if my proof is correct?

The best way to verify the correctness of your proof is to ask a peer or an instructor to review it and provide feedback. You can also check for logical errors and ensure that your argument is supported by evidence.

3. Can I use outside resources for my midterm practice proof?

It is generally recommended to only use your own notes and class materials for a midterm practice. This will allow you to accurately gauge your understanding of the material and identify areas for improvement.

4. How much time should I spend on a midterm practice proof?

The amount of time spent on a midterm practice proof will vary depending on the complexity of the problem and your level of understanding. It is important to allocate enough time to thoroughly review and understand the material.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a proof during a midterm practice?

If you are struggling with a proof during a midterm practice, it is important to take a step back and identify the specific areas that are causing difficulty. You can then seek help from a classmate or instructor, or review related material to strengthen your understanding.