Can I get into a molecular biology graduate program without a biology bachelors

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, but is considering switching to a graduate program in molecular biology. With a minor in biology and possibly 15-20 hours of undergraduate biology courses, they may be qualified for a graduate program in biology. The requirements for the BS in biology and microbiology at their university are 33 and 42 hours of biology, respectively. However, the individual is concerned about not having an in-depth enough background in biology, but is planning to take courses such as intro biology, molecular biology, microbiology, virology, and genetics to prepare for a molecular biology program. It is noted that most biology majors do not receive extensive education in all areas of biology and that having
Juche
I'm doing my bachelors of science in chemistry, but I may want to do graduate work in molecular biology instead of chemistry. Would a BS in chemistry and maybe 15-20 hours of undergrad biology be good enough to qualify me for graduate programs in biology? I will have a biology minor when I graduate, but not a full BA or BS. I 'may' be able to pull off a BS in biology, but it'll be hard to do and I doubt it'll happen.

Do they offer remedial biology classes for individuals like me who do not have all the pre-reqs for a graduate program?

The BS in biology at IU requires 33 hours of biology, the BA requires 28. The BS in microbiology requires 42 and the BA requires 31. I think the BS in biology would be my best bet if I wanted to go full ass and do another bachelors as the BA degrees also require about 15 hours of art & social electives that I wouldn't ahve to take for a science degree. At the end of fall semester I will have completed 12 hours of biology and I have 3 semesters (and maybe summer of 2007) to go before I graduate so I can get up to 25-30ish hours of biology w/o problem.

Also, would a degree in biology (not microbiology) allow a person into molecular biology graduate programs? What if I just take molecular biology classes (virology, fungi, cellular biology, immunology) as part of my minor is that the best idea?

I keep researching PhD programs in biology and they usually don't say 'requires a BA or BS in biology to apply' like it does for chemistry doctoral programs. What they usually say is 'proficiency in chemistry, biology, calculus and physics'. I will have all of these things if I do a BS in chemistry and do 20 hours of biology, so maybe just a minor in biology will be enough to qualify me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of graduate programs do not require you to hold a BS in the same field as what you go to grad school for. It all depends on the school, look at the school's website. I wouldn't see a reason why you wouldn't be allowed to study bio. How extensive is your biochem background? you could add that in there too to your list of "bio" courses.

gravenewworld said:
A lot of graduate programs do not require you to hold a BS in the same field as what you go to grad school for. It all depends on the school, look at the school's website. I wouldn't see a reason why you wouldn't be allowed to study bio. How extensive is your biochem background? you could add that in there too to your list of "bio" courses.

Well with Chem programs they usually say 'require a BA or BS in chemistry, or a strong background in chemistry'. For biology programs they say you need a background in biology, chemistry, calculus & physics. I have not (so far) seen a program that requires an actual BA or BS in biology to get in. When I graduate I should have 12 hours of calculus, 13 of physics, 56 of chemistry, 20ish of biology so I should be fine.

But I'm worried about not having an in depth enough biology background. If all I take is things like intro biology, molecular biology, microbiology, virology and genetics (which was my plan) at IU will that prepare me for a molecular biology program that will have classes that may delve into fungi, prokaryotes, microbial physiology etc.

Juche said:
Well with Chem programs they usually say 'require a BA or BS in chemistry, or a strong background in chemistry'. For biology programs they say you need a background in biology, chemistry, calculus & physics. I have not (so far) seen a program that requires an actual BA or BS in biology to get in. When I graduate I should have 12 hours of calculus, 13 of physics, 56 of chemistry, 20ish of biology so I should be fine.

But I'm worried about not having an in depth enough biology background. If all I take is things like intro biology, molecular biology, microbiology, virology and genetics (which was my plan) at IU will that prepare me for a molecular biology program that will have classes that may delve into fungi, prokaryotes, microbial physiology etc.
Most biology majors don't get that in-depth of an education in all those fields either. Schools have various fields of biology they emphasize. You should try to fit in a biochemistry and another advanced molecular biology class (biochemistry might fulfill your chem major requirements anyway). Even without a biology major, they'll look at your transcript and see you have a lot of biology classes. Plus, your chemistry background will be helpful in a molecular biology program, and is something a lot of the students entering it won't have. Expect to have to take a biology GRE to demonstrate you have sufficient biology background.

1. Can I get into a molecular biology graduate program without a biology bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to get into a molecular biology graduate program without a biology bachelor's degree. While most programs do require a bachelor's degree in biology or a related field, some programs may accept students with a strong background in chemistry, biochemistry, or other related fields.

2. What other qualifications do I need to have if I don't have a biology bachelor's degree?

If you do not have a biology bachelor's degree, you will need to have a strong background in relevant coursework, such as genetics, cell biology, and biochemistry. You may also need to have research experience in a related field and strong letters of recommendation from professors or supervisors.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants with a biology bachelor's degree?

While having a biology bachelor's degree may give some applicants an advantage, it is not the only factor that graduate programs consider. Admissions committees also look at research experience, letters of recommendation, and performance on standardized tests, among other things. If you have a strong background in relevant coursework and research experience, you may still have a competitive application.

4. Are there any specific molecular biology graduate programs that accept students without a biology bachelor's degree?

There are no specific programs that exclusively accept students without a biology bachelor's degree. However, you can research and reach out to different programs to inquire about their specific requirements and see if they may consider applicants with a different undergraduate degree.

5. Are there any additional steps I should take to improve my chances of getting into a molecular biology graduate program without a biology bachelor's degree?

In addition to having a strong academic background and research experience, you may consider taking relevant courses or completing a post-baccalaureate program to strengthen your knowledge in biology. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in the field to gain experience and make connections, which can strengthen your application. It is also important to carefully review and follow the application guidelines and requirements for each program you are interested in.