World Event Court Trial: Debating the War in Iraq

• Thread starter Nicool003
  • Start date
In summary, a member suggested having a court trial-style debate about the war in Iraq in the politics and world affairs subforum. This idea was met with some hesitation due to the sensitive nature of the topic and the possibility of it turning into a heated argument instead of a reasonable debate. It was also noted that the mentors, who would serve as judges, may have biases that could affect the outcome. Overall, it was decided that this may not be the best time for such an event, but it could be considered for the future.
Nicool003
Hey everyone last night I got an idea that I think some people in the politics and world affairs subforum might enjoy. What if we had something similar to a court trial about a world event (most likely the war in Iraq)? We could have 9 judges (or maybe greg and the mentors *shrug*) and a few representing each side of the trial/ debate.

Just thought I'd mention it, sounds good to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that bad?

No nicool, it is a good idea, but maybe right now isn't the best time for it. Students are starting finals, the war is still on and people are still warming up to the new forums. However it is something to think about for summer.

Thanks for the suggestion!

My $0.02:

Maybe not really a good idea. This war issue is a very touchy subject (and if you don't believe me, just go the actual forums). Knowing the way how the forums work, the intended reason (a reasonable debate) will end up turning into a war where people bash the other's political affiliation and political beliefs.

Maybe the judges can then file for contempt and kick them out of court? But given the majority of the mentors seem biased (to some degree) towards anti-war, it's probably not that good an idea...

O.K guys thanks. And quite true FZ...

1. What is the purpose of the World Event Court Trial for the War in Iraq?

The purpose of the World Event Court Trial is to provide a platform for debating the legality and justification of the War in Iraq. It aims to gather evidence and arguments from both sides and reach a fair and just verdict.

2. Who is involved in the World Event Court Trial?

The World Event Court Trial involves international judges, legal experts, and representatives from countries involved in the War in Iraq. It also includes witnesses, such as military personnel and civilians, who can provide first-hand accounts and evidence.

3. What are the main arguments for and against the War in Iraq?

The main arguments for the War in Iraq include the need to remove a dictator and promote democracy in the region, as well as the belief that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction. The main arguments against the war include the lack of evidence for weapons of mass destruction, the high cost in terms of human lives and financial resources, and the destabilizing effects on the region.

4. How will the verdict of the World Event Court Trial be reached?

The verdict of the World Event Court Trial will be reached through a thorough examination of evidence and arguments presented by both sides. The judges will carefully consider all aspects of the case and reach a decision based on legal principles and international laws.

5. What impact will the World Event Court Trial have on the War in Iraq?

The World Event Court Trial will not have a direct impact on the ongoing War in Iraq, as it is not a legally binding court. However, it can bring attention to the issue and contribute to a global discussion on the ethics and legality of the war. It may also influence future decisions and policies regarding similar conflicts.