Innovative ideas for mechanical eng. project.

In summary: If you have done any solid mechanics, looking at stresses, and FEA work. Designing a suspension link is probably a good bet. Very easy to machine and to test practically. There are lots of engineering problems to solve with the design on even a single suspension link.Another option, if the project doesn't require design of components is a cooling system. Say a water system for a computer (im looking to watercool my PC so this is on my mind). You need to know the coolign requirements, meaning you need to calcualte the flow rates for water, CFM of the fans over the radiator. Basically designing a heat exhanger. This would require fluid mechanics and some thermodynamics. Your aim could be
kaz_mechanics
Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum & as usual like all other newbies i am asking for help :blushing: . I am after few innovative ideas for mechanical engineering project, its a group project rather but my group mate she is a dead rat lol so i have to do most of the work, I have few ideas in mind but was wondering if anybody can help me here. I have seen queries answered here rather i have spend a time looking for some thread with same querey but with no luck :cry: . So please anyone here any x-student offering his innovative ideas.
Thankyou.
kaz

Engineering news on Phys.org
what is your project abt to do?

its about desgin n make project anythin basically.
Any mechanical device that we can design n build at acdemic level.
Thankyou

That is wayyy to broad.

Micro cogeneration unit.

thanks for Micro cogeneration unit, i have looked into it n still trying to figure out if we can build that in our university lab? :confused:
thanks

What year are you in school? What machines are you familiar with using in your University Lab? What kinds of machines interest you? (like cars, planes, robots, etc.)

berkeman said:
What year are you in school? What machines are you familiar with using in your University Lab? What kinds of machines interest you? (like cars, planes, robots, etc.)

im in year 2 of university ... my group supervisor told me not to think fo anything like car because you won't be able to make it n told me to follow the kiss rule - Keep it simple for stupid- n i got like 4 months for it ...

help me lol pleaseo:)

berkeman said:
What machines are you familiar with using in your University Lab? What kinds of machines interest you?

What fabrication tools are you familiar with using? Lathe? CNC? Have you worked with both aluminum and steel?

berkeman said:
What fabrication tools are you familiar with using? Lathe? CNC? Have you worked with both aluminum and steel?

that doesn't really matters u get me... we can get it build by our lab technican he can help us if we have to do any work on any machines
thanks

I assume this is for some sort of disseration, in general avoid build projects for an academic course. I did one and it's a pain in the arse.

What are the specific aims of the project? What level are they looking at? Remember build projects do NOT always mean machines, they don't have to have a billion components or be uber complicated. A very well engineered solid component is sometimes a thing of wonder.

What I would reccomend depends on what skills you have to show from the project. University projects do not require you to acutally build something that works (it's a bonus, but generally not required), it's to showcase and build your thought processes and approach to designing things.

tl;dr summary of Q:
What are the specific aims of the project?
What level are they looking at, how complex?
What skills do you have?
What skills do you have to show in this project?

For example, it's highly possible to design a component for a car, and as such they are very easy to make and also test.

If you have done any solid mechanics, looking at stresses, and FEA work. Designing a suspension link is probably a good bet. Very easy to machine and to test practically. There are lots of engineering problems to solve with the design on even a single suspension link.

If you have to build a machine keep that very very very simple too. Say a variant on a 4 bar linkage, this is a kinematics problem.

Another option, if the project doesn't require design of components is a cooling system. Say a water system for a computer (im looking to watercool my PC so this is on my mind). You need to know the coolign requirements, meaning you need to calcualte the flow rates for water, CFM of the fans over the radiator. Basically designing a heat exhanger. This would require fluid mechanics and some thermodynamics. Your aim could be to use off the shelf components and get the best cooling capacity from the cheapest design.

REMEMBER: Your marks come from doing something well. Showing you know and can apply simple principles well will get you better marks than taking on an overly complex projectthat you don't fully understand.

Last edited:
You could try building a Stirling machine using a tea cup as heat source!
This kind of toy is available and cheap on the net.
You can try another design with some creative feature.
Maybe you will create a new business!

solar stirling engine would be a good one. the basic concepts are easily found on the net. make it charge cordless power tool batteries, and its useful, simple.

chris, on the computer cooling, have you ever heard of florinert (or galden)? chemically inert, non-conductive fluid. I have thought about its use for computer cooling. just make a tank the motherboard sits in. thermal effects should circulate the fluid without a pump. and it would prevent 100% of all the dust, bugs, pet hair, and cig smoke from ever getting inside. (its pricey at $300 a gallon, but is some amazing stuff)
I'd bet the computer would last a long, long time.

dr

after seeing the earthquake destruction in Haiti last night, and the wave warnings I have a much better project.

6 man, human safety pods, that you could climb into, in the event of a tsunami warning, close the lid, and ride it out. Think of the lives that could save vs trying to haul butt inland to get the added elevation needed

just a thought

dr

1. What are some examples of innovative ideas for mechanical engineering projects?

Some examples of innovative ideas for mechanical engineering projects include designing a self-driving car, creating a renewable energy source, developing a new type of prosthetic limb, and designing a robot for disaster relief.

2. How can I come up with an innovative idea for a mechanical engineering project?

To come up with an innovative idea for a mechanical engineering project, you can start by identifying a problem or need in society. Then, brainstorm potential solutions or improvements using your knowledge and skills in mechanical engineering.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an innovative mechanical engineering project?

Pursuing an innovative mechanical engineering project can provide several benefits, including developing new skills, gaining hands-on experience, making a positive impact on society, and potentially leading to job opportunities or recognition in the field.

4. How can I ensure that my innovative mechanical engineering project is feasible?

To ensure that your innovative mechanical engineering project is feasible, you should research and assess the technical, financial, and time constraints of your project. You can also consult with experts or mentors in the field for their insights and advice.

5. What are some potential challenges or obstacles I may face when working on an innovative mechanical engineering project?

Some potential challenges or obstacles you may face when working on an innovative mechanical engineering project include limited resources or funding, technical difficulties, and potential failures or setbacks. It is important to have a backup plan and remain persistent and adaptable in the face of challenges.