Pictures of your lab (experimentalists & theoreticians)

In summary, the theorist's lab has high power lasers, optical tables, and all the equipment needed to run experiments. They also have pictures of their powerful computers.
I would post a pic of my lab but I am a theoretician semi... so would a pencil and paper do :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
NoobixCube said:
I would post a pic of my lab but I am a theoretician semi... so would a pencil and paper do :yuck:

As long as the pencil is some kind of high power laser and the paper is some human being :biggrin:
Think you can manage that?:tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
The Theoretician's lab
Half a brain?

Gokul43201 said:
Half a brain?

Well you know, they're very, very left brained.

Gokul43201 said:
Half a brain?

Your entire lab is a corner?

Ivan Seeking said:
Your entire lab is a corner?
Actually it's just the bottom half of the corner. I share that corner with another grad student - he has the top half, where he runs some kind of anti-gravity experiments.

Gokul43201 said:
Actually it's just the bottom half of the corner. I share that corner with another grad student - he has the top half, where he runs some kind of anti-gravity experiments.

:rofl: Okay, you got me.

Has the anti-gravity caused any problems, or is it well collimated?

Heres my lab as promised!

Attachments

• pencil-and-paper.jpg
    pencil-and-paper.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 470
George Jones said:
I am theoretician; here are my books.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5069/office2id7.th.jpg

"A man ought to read just as inclination leads him; for what he reads as a task will do him little good." Samuel Johnson
Great tag line. I hope Isackson's 'Einstein' on the desk there was inclination. I certainly enjoyed it.

mheslep said:
Great tag line. I hope Isackson's 'Einstein' on the desk there was inclination. I certainly enjoyed it.

My wife and I both read it, and we both enjoyed it.

George Jones said:
I am theoretician; here are my books.

Impressive collection. You are a considerably more advanced theoretician than NoobixCube... NoobixCube are you sure your not a primary school teacher? :tongue2:

n0_3sc said:
Here are some more pics. A friend is a good photographer and has an awesome camera so without revealing too much of our labs (a requirement) guess what these represent:

That's part of a laser system. We have a similar Ti-Sapphire laser from Spectra Physics with 2 YAG lasers going through a TSA.

Zz.

Good job ZapperZ!

n0_3sc said:
Good job ZapperZ!

OK, so now it's my turn. Identify the copper thingy with the tubes sticking out of it. :)

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1645/img5985ac0.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, so now it's my turn. Identify the copper thingy with the tubes sticking out of it. :)

Zz.
HTS. Entire rig some kind of particle collider.

That looks bloody awesome.
Yeah, my guess too is something to do with a particle accelerator/collider... The copper tubing is being cooled by whatever is flowing through those hoses...? I'm really curious as to what the whole setup is/does.

After googling for "particle colliders" I'm taking a guess the rings are "Damping Rings" or an "RF Cavity"?

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Perpetual motion machine!

n0_3sc said:
After googling for "particle colliders" I'm taking a guess the rings are "Damping Rings" or an "RF Cavity"?
Yes I am thinking you must be right, high power RF device requiring cooling. Scratch HTS.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

My guess is some particle measurments, using nitrogen cooling.:uhh:
Second thing might be research in the MHD generator area, but I don't see power connections as large as the machine suggest.

cool thread, makes me wish my lab wasnt horrible

RonL said:
My guess is some particle measurments, using nitrogen cooling.:uhh:
I can't imagine any particle experiments/measurements utilising large solid copper rings that are held at a temperature...

Ok ZapperZ who was the closest?

Cyrus said:
Perpetual motion machine!

No way, dude. That's a time machine!

Math Is Hard said:
No way, dude. That's a time machine!

That doesn't look like a phone booth to me...whoaaa

Cyrus said:
That doesn't look like a phone booth to me...whoaaa
HAHA Cyrus' Lab:
http://www.thackershirtcompany.com/images/PhoneBooth.jpg

The picture that I posted is a section of our linear accelerator. It is typically called a "linac tank". It is an accelerating structure consisting of a series of iris-loaded copper cavities that are powered by a 1.3 GHz rf in a TM01 mode. Electron bunches gain an average of 10 MeV of energy after passing through this linac tank.

The hoses are water lines connected to a closed-loop chiller. During operation, the linac must be kept at the optimum, constant temperature. A single degree variation will cause the linac to detune it's resonance frequency and will not be able to efficiently sustain the 1.3 GHz rf.

Zz.