Combinatorics: number of words

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the number of words of a certain length and with a specific number of distinct letters that can be made from an alphabet of a given size. It presents a recursion formula and a generating function as potential solutions. However, the conversation also explores a simpler approach using the sieve principle and the binomial coefficient, which ultimately leads to a simplified formula for the number of words.
techmologist
ere me now.

I'm trying to figure out how many words of length r having exactly k distinct letters can be made with an alphabet of size n. Call this number a_k,r. It satisfies the recursion

[tex]a_{k,r} = ka_{k,r-1} + (n-k+1)a_{k-1,r-1}[/tex]

[tex]a_{1,r} = n[/tex] for r >= 1
[tex]a_{k,r} = 0[/tex] for r < k

My best effort so far is to use a generating function as follows

[tex]f_k(x) = \sum_{r=1}^{\infty}a_{k,r}x^r[/tex]

and use the recursion formula to get

[tex]f_k(x) = \frac{(n-k+1)x}{1-kx}f_{k-1}(x) = \frac{x^{k-1}(n-1)(n-2)...(n-k+1)}
{(1-x)(1-2x)...(1-kx)}f_1(x)[/tex]

or since f_1(x) = n/(1-x),

[tex]f_k(x) = \frac{(k-1)!\left(^n_{k-1} \right)x^{k-1}}{(1-x)(1-2x)...(1-kx)}[/tex]

I'm having a well difficult time getting the coefficient of x^r (which would be a_k,r) in the expansion of this. Is there a way to simplify it so you don't have k nested sums? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am trying to follow your approach and the f's confuse me: the problem I have is that
[tex] f_{k}(1) = \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} a_{k,r} \geq 1, [/tex]
but by your recursion relation we have
[tex] \frac{f_{k}(1)}{f_{k-1}(1)} = \frac{n-k+1}{1-k}. [/tex]
The right hand side must be positive while the left must be negative. This means either I have misunderstood something or you have...

I am sure some combinatorist has got a simply answer for this... but pending them stating what it is here is a way to at least reduce the problem.

First find how many ways to pick k distinct letters from the alphabet with n letters (order of picking not important). Consider these letters as a sub-alphabet.

From this sub-alphabet you will need to create words that are length r and use every letter. If you find this number then you can multiply by the previous to obtain the answer.

Please tell me if you find a simple answer and\or which one of us made the mistake.

Yes, the series expansion for the f_k's is only valid for |x| < 1/k. But
your suggested way of doing it is a lot better. For an alphabet of k letters,
the number b_k,r of r-letter words which have all k letters is k^r minus the number
of words in which at least one of the letters is absent. I calculated the
latter using the sieve principle as

# of r-letter words missing at least 1 of the k letters =

[tex]\left( ^{k}_{1} \right)(k-1)^r - \left( ^{k}_{2} \right)(k-2)^r +...+
(-1)^{k}\left( ^{k}_{k-1} \right)
= \sum_{j=1}^{k-1}(-1)^{j-1}\left( ^{k}_{j} \right)(k-j)^r[/tex]

Then subtracting this from k^r gives

[tex]b_{k,r} =\sum_{j=0}^{k-1}(-1)^{j}\left( ^{k}_{j} \right)(k-j)^r [/tex]

As you said, to generalize this to n > k letters in the alphabet, multiply
b_k,r by choose(n,k) to get

[tex]a_{k,r} = \left( ^{n}_{k} \right)b_{k,r}[/tex]

For the special case k = r, this should simplify to

[tex]a_{r,r} = r!\left( ^{n}_{r} \right)[/tex]

I've been trying to verify by induction that

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{r-1}(-1)^{j}\left( ^{r}_{j} \right)(r-j)^r = r![/tex]
but I can't seem to do it. It seems to be true though, if you plug in small
numbers for r. Thanks for the tip! At least I'm making progress now. If you know of a way to simplify the above answer further, please show it.

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{r-1}(-1)^{j}\\( ^{r}_{j} \\)(r-j)^r = r![/tex]

This expression is easy to prove by considering the r-th derivative
of (1-e^x)^r at x=0

Eero said:
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{r-1}(-1)^{j}\\( ^{r}_{j} \\)(r-j)^r = r![/tex]

This expression is easy to prove by considering the r-th derivative
of (1-e^x)^r at x=0

Very cool. Thanks :)

1. How do you determine the number of words in a combinatorial problem?

In combinatorics, the number of words can be determined by using the fundamental counting principle. This principle states that if there are n ways to do one thing and m ways to do another, then there are n x m ways to do both things together. This can be applied to determine the total number of words in a combinatorial problem.

2. Can the number of words in a combinatorial problem be calculated manually?

Yes, the number of words in a combinatorial problem can be calculated manually using various techniques such as permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. However, for larger problems, it is more efficient to use mathematical formulas or computer programs to calculate the number of words.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations in combinatorial problems?

Permutations and combinations are two different techniques used to calculate the number of words in a combinatorial problem. Permutations refer to the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the selection of objects without considering the order. For example, in the word "CAT", the permutations would be CAT, ACT, TAC, etc. while the combinations would be CAT, CA, AT, etc.

4. How does the number of words in a combinatorial problem affect its difficulty?

The number of words in a combinatorial problem can greatly affect its difficulty. As the number of words increases, the complexity of the problem also increases, making it more difficult to solve. This is because with a larger number of words, there are more possible combinations and permutations to consider, making the problem more challenging.

5. Can the number of words in a combinatorial problem be negative?

No, the number of words in a combinatorial problem cannot be negative. Combinatorics deals with counting and arranging objects, and the number of words represents a quantity, which cannot be negative. However, in some cases, the number of words may be zero if there are no valid combinations or arrangements possible in the given problem.