Happy Meal Resists Decomposition?

In summary, a recent "Happy Meal Project" that showed a McDonald's Happy Meal resisting decomposition for six months has been met with skepticism due to a lack of controls and comparisons. Many people have observed similar preservation of fast food and other foods in dry climates, while moist environments lead to decay. The idea that fast food is inherently unhealthy is also questioned, as some people who regularly ate it as children turned out fine. Others suggest that the high sugar content in Happy Meals may contribute to their long-lasting preservation.
mugaliens
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101012/bs_yblog_upshot/mcdonalds-happy-meal-resists-decomposition-for-six-months" .

Who else here has observed several (or perhaps many, yech) food items which have "resisted decomposition" in the same way as Davies' Happy Meal Project?

I find this particularly true in dry climates such as exists here in Colorado. Grapes that have rolled under the fridge. A pizza slice my son left in the microwave... Literally dozens of items over the years found their way into various locations around the house.

The same thing happened to each and every one of them: They dried, and did not decay, even items containing absolutely no preservatives whatsoever.

I discovered a far different story for those items in, near, or containing any moisture. They decayed (rotted, actually), in just a few days.

The flaw I find in Davies' "test" is that there are no comparisons, no controls. Then again, she's an artist and a photographer, not a scientist. She doesn't know how to conduct any such "research" and certainly not a properly established and controlled scientific experiement.

This is nothing more than sensationalistic nonsense, perpetuated by media folks who know know anything more about biology or scientific controls than Davies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
This would make a perfect science fair project for someone.

Good critical thinking Mugaliens.

mugaliens said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101012/bs_yblog_upshot/mcdonalds-happy-meal-resists-decomposition-for-six-months" .

Who else here has observed several (or perhaps many, yech) food items which have "resisted decomposition" in the same way as Davies' Happy Meal Project?
Having been the mother of two children, you wouldn't believe the amount of mumified food I've discovered under couch cushions, under beds, behind desks, etc... Yes, quite a bit of it was partially eaten McDonald's burgers and fries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Having been the mother of two children, you wouldn't believe the amount of mumified food I've discovered under couch cushions, under beds, behind desks, etc... Yes, quite a bit of it was partially eaten McDonald's burgers and fries.
We found vegetables. Carrots, peas, beans, you name it. Beans in particular petrify very nicely.

Evo said:
I've discovered under couch cushions, under beds, behind desks, etc... Yes, quite a bit of it was partially eaten McDonald's burgers and fries.
D H said:
We found vegetables. Carrots, peas, beans, you name it. Beans in particular petrify very nicely.

Guess the healthy eating parent contest? :biggrin:

jarednjames said:
Guess the healthy eating parent contest? :biggrin:
My kids ate their veggies. :biggrin:

Fast food fries probably mummify the quickest, those things can turn into inedible rods of cardboard within an hour.

Interestingly there is a brand of milk that you can leave out of the refrigerator for two weeks, without it becoming spoiled. After two weeks you can just open the carton and pour fresh looking and smelling milk out.

There was a television program that went to investigate what was going on with the milk, with the hypothesis that it was maybe reconstituted milk power or heat-sterilized milk. Both didn't seem to be the case. The only clue that they had is that the milk could have been passed through a micron filter and subsequently pasteurized to remove all possible microbes, leading to the extended life-span. Possibly something that will be implemented for all fresh milk products.

Of course sometimes there are whole humans that appear to bypass the process of decomposition, so I guess the burger is not that unusual. The circumstance for the burger must have been just right: few fungal spores and low humidity, coupled to fast dehydration.

I did preserved foods from m daughter all over the house. Mostly grains though: rice, oatmeal, cracker bits.

Anyway, the humidit here allows for it. It's so dry compared to my hometown that bread lasts about twice as long and usually dries out before molding.

I, too, think its got to be a function of climate. There is simply nothing to say a happy meal will outlast the above mentioned carrot or bean. I've always called BS under my breath at this little illustration. I had a happy meal a couple times a week as a child, and I turned out just fine. Thing is-I didn't sit around playing video games all day or in front of a TV.

happy meals contain a lot of sugar that tends to kill bacteria by extracting the moisture from them, osmotic shock, same as the sugar in jam preserves the fruit. In a very wet environment to moisture content dilutes the effect and bacteria thrive

1. What is a Happy Meal?

A Happy Meal is a popular children's meal offered at McDonald's restaurants. It typically includes a main item such as a burger or chicken nuggets, a side item like fries or apple slices, and a small toy or other novelty item.

2. Why is the term "resists decomposition" used in reference to a Happy Meal?

The term "resists decomposition" is used because it has been observed that Happy Meals, particularly their burgers and fries, do not seem to decompose or mold as quickly as other similar food items. This has led to speculation and curiosity about the ingredients and preservatives used in the meal.

3. Is it true that a Happy Meal can last for years without decomposing?

While there have been reports of Happy Meals lasting for years without decomposing, these claims have not been scientifically proven. It is important to note that the conditions in which the meal is stored can greatly affect its rate of decomposition, and these reports are often based on specific storage conditions that may not reflect real-life scenarios.

4. What ingredients or preservatives are responsible for a Happy Meal's resistance to decomposition?

The exact ingredients and preservatives used in a Happy Meal vary depending on location and specific menu items. However, most fast food meals contain a combination of salt, sugar, and fat, which are known to act as preservatives. Additionally, some meals may also contain artificial preservatives such as sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate.

5. Are Happy Meals safe to eat, considering their resistance to decomposition?

Yes, Happy Meals are still safe to eat. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has strict guidelines for the use of preservatives in food, and all ingredients used in Happy Meals must adhere to these regulations. While the long shelf life of Happy Meals may raise concerns, there is no evidence to suggest that they are harmful to consume.

Back