Another Megathrust event in Indonesia tonite

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, Dave is reporting on two major earthquakes that took place last night. The first event was a Mw8.6 and the second event was a prelim Mw8.2. Both of these events were located in Mexico. Dave is also reporting on another earthquake that took place last night in Mexico. This event was a Mw6.5.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang

2 hrs after the event started to roll in on my seismograph, here in Sydney Australia, I am still recording a significant signal.

The quake is off the NW coast of Sumatera with almost an identical epicentral point as the 2004, Mw9+ event.
Tonite's event was initially listed as a Mw8.7 by the USGA and ~ an hr or so later was revised down to a Mw8.6.
I haven't seen any specific reports as yet other than comments to the effect that a tsunami was generated (USGS)

Dave

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
This has been followed by another major event in the same area

a Prelim Mw 8.2 aftershock. I am finding it hard to see as the initial event is obscurring the signal a lot.
here is a compressed screen shot from my analysis program of the initial event...

attachment.php?attachmentid=46105&stc=1&d=1334144956.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 120411 Mw 8.6 offshr NW Sumatera1.jpg
    120411 Mw 8.6 offshr NW Sumatera1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 592
another earthquake this time in Mexico 7.0...

meidan said:
another earthquake this time in Mexico 7.0...

latest data has it downgraded to a Mw6.5, still a respectable event
I didnt record it here in Australia, its usually got to be M7.0 and greater when from the western Americas ( USA down to Chile).
Its a real balancing act for me, I live in the suburbs with lots of manmade noise from clothes washing machines bouncing around on spin cycle to much heavy traffic on the road.

Keeping the gain of the system a bit lower can be a blessing in disguise as in the big events of last nite. Even at only 4500 km from the event, The M8.6 still maxed out my 14bit A to D converter ( time for a 24bit one haha). But not as bad as some of my fellow recording stations in the USA who's systems, with their much higher gain, were maxing out from almost the start of the event, even tho they were 4 x the distance from the epicentre as me.

cheers
Dave

Well it looks like Sumatera and the surrounding region really dodged a bullet last nite.
Both the events were a bit to the west of the downward thrusting slab of the Indo-Australian Plate. Their Centroid Moment Tensor solutions revealed that they were on strike - slip faults. This pretty much allieviated the possibility of any significant tsunami being generated. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief :)

Its still amazing that after 8 years, a Mw9.2 and a Mw8.7 (some months later), that so much stress was still pent up in the region.

Dave

It's great to have you here Dave.

awww thanks Evo :)

The subject is a bit of a passionate hobbyhorse of mine haha
has been for many years

I hope general discussion of events etc, like above, is within the guidelines of the forum rather than always just being specific question/answer type threads

cheers
Dave

What is a megathrust event?

A megathrust event is a type of earthquake that occurs in a subduction zone, where one tectonic plate is forced beneath another. These earthquakes are typically characterized by their large magnitude and can cause devastating damage.

Where is the megathrust event expected to occur in Indonesia tonite?

The exact location of the megathrust event cannot be predicted with certainty, but it is expected to occur along the subduction zone off the coast of Indonesia, where the Indian and Australian plates are subducting beneath the Sunda plate.

What is the magnitude of the megathrust event expected to be?

The magnitude of the megathrust event cannot be accurately predicted. However, previous megathrust events in Indonesia have had magnitudes ranging from 8.7 to 9.1 on the Richter scale, making them some of the strongest earthquakes in recorded history.

What are the potential impacts of the megathrust event?

The megathrust event could potentially cause significant damage, including landslides, tsunamis, and infrastructure destruction. It could also result in loss of life and displacement of communities in the affected areas.

What precautions should be taken in preparation for the megathrust event?

It is important to follow any evacuation orders and emergency procedures issued by local authorities. It is also recommended to have an emergency kit ready with supplies such as food, water, and first aid materials. It is also important to have a plan in place for communication and meeting with loved ones in case of separation during the event.