Taking Calculus 3 first and then Physics Electromagentism?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is better to take calculus 3 or physics electromagnetism first. The speaker mentions that in a typical "freshman physics" sequence, taking calculus 3 beforehand may not be necessary. However, in a junior/senior level E&M course, a background in calculus 3 may be more helpful. The importance of line, surface, and volume integrals in these courses is also mentioned. The speaker suggests talking to the instructor beforehand to clarify any concerns.
Toranc3
I have already completed Calculus 1 and 2 but I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take calculus 3 first and then physics electromagnetism. I know that electromagnetism deals with a lot of integration but does it deal with double and triple integrals? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...

jtbell said:
If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...

Thanks for the reply.

I think i took them at the same time and it didnt seem to hurt or help. I recall calc 2 being much more helpful.

I would recommend taking Calculus 3 before Physics Electromagnetism. Calculus 3 builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1 and 2, specifically in the area of multivariable calculus, which is essential for understanding electromagnetism. Electromagnetism does indeed involve double and triple integrals, as well as vector calculus, which are covered in Calculus 3. Having a strong foundation in these concepts will greatly benefit your understanding of electromagnetism.

Additionally, taking Calculus 3 first will also give you a better understanding of the mathematical tools and techniques used in physics, making it easier to apply them in electromagnetism. Furthermore, the order in which you take these courses may also depend on the specific curriculum and prerequisites of your university or program.

In summary, while it may be possible to take Physics Electromagnetism without first completing Calculus 3, I strongly recommend taking the courses in the order of Calculus 1, 2, and 3 before delving into electromagnetism. This will not only make the material more comprehensible but also set you up for success in your future studies and research in science.

1. Why should I take Calculus 3 before Physics Electromagnetism?

Calculus 3 covers topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and partial derivatives, which are essential for understanding the advanced mathematical concepts used in Physics Electromagnetism. Without a solid foundation in Calculus 3, it can be difficult to grasp the complex equations and theories in Physics Electromagnetism.

2. Can I take Physics Electromagnetism without taking Calculus 3?

While it is not impossible to take Physics Electromagnetism without taking Calculus 3, it is highly recommended to have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts covered in Calculus 3. Without it, you may struggle to fully comprehend the material and may not perform as well in the course.

3. Will taking Calculus 3 first make Physics Electromagnetism easier?

Yes, taking Calculus 3 first can make Physics Electromagnetism easier because it provides a solid foundation of mathematical concepts that are used extensively in the subject. This can help you understand the equations and theories more easily and perform better in the course.

4. Can I take Calculus 3 and Physics Electromagnetism at the same time?

It is not recommended to take both courses at the same time unless you have a strong background in Calculus and are comfortable with the mathematical concepts covered in Calculus 3. Taking both courses simultaneously can be overwhelming and can lead to difficulty in understanding the material.

5. Are there any other courses I should take before Physics Electromagnetism?

In addition to Calculus 3, it is also recommended to take Physics Mechanics and Calculus-based Physics courses before taking Physics Electromagnetism. These courses cover the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, which are necessary for understanding the more advanced topics in Physics Electromagnetism.